Print

Author Topic: MSBlast.exe  (Read 2753 times)

« on: August 12, 2003, 11:08:55 PM »
Um, Ill just quote everything from www.comcast.net, ok? It's to warn you about the newest virus:(

"If your system is continually rebooting (randomly powering off) please follow the steps outlined below

Please execute the following steps to start your system in safe mode:

Shut down your computer. Turn it back on again, and hold down the F8 key while your system starts.

When prompted, select Safe Mode and press enter (do not select Safe Mode With Networking)

If prompted, select the Operating System displayed (default Operating System should be highlighted).

Next, determine which operating system you are using. Since Microsoft has different patches to protect each operating system, you will need to know which one you have.

Click on the Start button, go up to Settings and select Control Panel. From there, double-click the System icon.

The window displayed will indicate which system is being used (Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.)

Please execute the following steps to disable the worm from starting:

Click on the Start button and select Run

In the Run prompt, type regedit and press enter

Click on the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then, click on the plus sign next to Software. Click on the plus sign next to Microsoft. Again, click on the plus sign next to Windows. Click on the plus sign next to CurrentVersion. In the CurrentVersion list, click on the word Run.

Look for msblast.exe, so that it is highlighted, and hit the delete key on your keyboard.

Select Yes to confirm deletion choice.

Exit the Registry editor (click the X in the upper right hand corner).

Restart your computer (but this time in "normal" mode - not Safe Mode).

Click this link and save the file to your desktop.

After the file has saved to your desktop, select Open on the Download Complete window. This will launch the Symantec W32.Blaster.Worm.Fix Tool

Click the Start button displayed on the Symantec W32.Blaster.Worm.Fix Tool. The tool will begin analyzing your files and folders for the worm and may take several minutes to complete.

When it has finished, you will be prompted with a window to install a patch that will protect your system from this and similar vulnerabilities. Click Yes to go to the Microsoft site directly.

Download the Microsoft patch

If not automatically redirected, please navigate to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp"

Click on the link for your installed Operating System

Click download on the right side of the page

Choose Run from this location

Confirm security warning pop-up by clicking Yes

Follow pop-up instructions and reboot by clicking Finish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your system is not currently rebooting, however you believe you have the worm, please follow these steps:

First you need to determine which operating system you are using. Since Microsoft has different patches to protect each operating system, you will need to know which one you have.

Click on the Startbutton, go up to Settings and select Control Panel. From there, double-click the System icon.

The window displayed will indicate which system is being used (Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.)

Next, you need to identify and terminate the worm running on your system. To do this,

Press and hold down the following keys: Control, Alt and Delete

Click the Task Manager button

Select the Processes tab

Click the Image Name column to sort the list in alphabetical order

Look for msblast.exe under the Image Name column

Select the msblast.exe file by clicking on itonce. Then, click the End Process button.

Now you can close the Windows Task Manager screen by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

After the file has saved to your desktop, select Open on the Download Complete window. This will launch the Symantec W32.Blaster.Worm.Fix Tool

Click the Start button displayed on the Symantec W32.Blaster.Worm.Fix Tool. The tool will begin analyzing your files and folders for the worm and may take several minutes to complete.

When it has finished, you will be prompted with a window to install a patch that will protect your system from this and similar vulnerabilitys. Click Yes to go to the Microsoft site directly.

If not automatically redirected, please Navigate to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

Please note: Editing your system registry can cause problems with your Operating System if done incorrectly. While Comcast is providing this information to help repair the MSBlast Worm, Comcast is not responsible for any damage that the contents of this document may cause to your computer."

I hope that helps. Even though I dont have the links up(I think) Ill get them up soon. Yay! Im helping! Evevn though this thread will be ignored like the rest of mine

-----------------------------

Mariotendo-the Mario Side of Nintendo!

Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 11:11:33 PM »
Crap! I forgot to put tags on them!
 Ok, lemme try again. No one wants to read that.

From Comcast.net:
"If your system is continually rebooting (randomly powering off) please follow the steps outlined below

Please execute the following steps to start your system in safe mode:

Shut down your computer. Turn it back on again, and hold down the F8 key while your system starts.

When prompted, select Safe Mode and press enter (do not select Safe Mode With Networking)

If prompted, select the Operating System displayed (default Operating System should be highlighted).

Next, determine which operating system you are using. Since Microsoft has different patches to protect each operating system, you will need to know which one you have.

Click on the Start button, go up to Settings and select Control Panel. From there, double-click the System icon.

Please execute the following steps to disable the worm from starting:

Click on the Start button and select Run

In the Run prompt, type regedit and press enter

Click on the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then, click on the plus sign next to Software. Click on the plus sign next to Microsoft. Again, click on the plus sign next to Windows. Click on the plus sign next to CurrentVersion. In the CurrentVersion list, click on the word Run.

Look for msblast.exe, so that it is highlighted, and hit the delete key on your keyboard.

Select Yes to confirm deletion choice.

Exit the Registry editor (click the X in the upper right hand corner).

Restart your computer (but this time in "normal" mode - not Safe Mode).

When it has finished, you will be prompted with a window to install a patch that will protect your system from this and similar vulnerabilities. Click Yes to go to the Microsoft site directly.

If not automatically redirected, please navigate to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your system is not currently rebooting, however you believe you have the worm, please follow these steps:

First you need to determine which operating system you are using. Since Microsoft has different patches to protect each operating system, you will need to know which one you have.

Click on the Startbutton, go up to Settings and select Control Panel. From there, double-click the System icon.

Next, you need to identify and terminate the worm running on your system. To do this,

Press and hold down the following keys: Control, Alt and Delete

Click the Task Manager button

Select the Processes tab

Click the Image Name column to sort the list in alphabetical order

Look for msblast.exe under the Image Name column

Select the msblast.exe file by clicking on itonce. Then, click the End Process button.

Now you can close the Windows Task Manager screen by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

When it has finished, you will be prompted with a window to install a patch that will protect your system from this and similar vulnerabilitys. Click Yes to go to the Microsoft site directly.

If not automatically redirected, please Navigate to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

Please note: Editing your system registry can cause problems with your Operating System if done incorrectly. While Comcast is providing this information to help repair the MSBlast Worm, Comcast is not responsible for any damage that the contents of this document may cause to your computer."

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 11:12:54 PM »
Yay! It's good now! Like I said, Ill find the links for you guys. And I didnt write any of that, I got it from www.comcast.net.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 09:31:51 AM »
Hey! I had that virus, but my dad deleted it yesterday (thank God)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 12:09:55 PM »
Yay!

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 07:29:31 PM »
Yay! Whatever! Yay!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 07:29:45 PM »
Yay!  I finished reading!  Yay!

Hamster Sauce!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 07:36:13 PM »
Yay! It was good! Yay!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 11:07:39 AM »
Yay! I can't get the worm! I'm using Windows 98!

-Mariotendo:

Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! I like saying Yay!!! YAY!!!!!
I like pie.
All your base are belong to us.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2003, 12:28:36 PM »
I had the virus and it was not fun.  I already got rid of it though.  It scared me to death when I saw that I had it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 12:38:01 PM »
Like I said, I can't get the worm! Yay! I changed my sig! Yay!

Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! I like saying Yay!!! YAY!!!!!I like pie.All your base are belong to us.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who

..v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.

Print