Print

Author Topic: Ten Pet Peeves About Mario...  (Read 5694 times)

« on: June 11, 2001, 09:04:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy ALL OF THE MARIO GAMES I've ever played (with the exception of Mario Is Missing and Mario's Time Machine). But there's just a couple things that I just don't get about the games:

1) Reoccuring locations. Why does the Mushroom Kingdom always look different in every game? Why is Peach's castle never the same? Does Bowser move to a different castle every game!? How many times has Mario moved in his life?

2) Reoccuring characters. There aren't any! With the exception of Bowser, and Peach, certain characters don't appear in some games, and it's weird! Why does Toad sometimes help you, and sometimes not exsist in the game, with the exception of the 'Mushroom People' which are all identical clones of toad with different color heads.

3) Luigi. He's Mario's only brother. Why does he sometimes live with Mario, and sometimes not even have anything to do with Mario's adventures?

4) Bowser's size. In Mario RPG, he was just about the same height as Mario, but a lot wider. Same with in most of the Mario games before SM64 like Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2, and Mario Kart. Now, all of the sudden, HE'S HUGE!!! He's easily 5 TIMES as big as Mario! Then, in Mario Kart64, he was small again! Why?

5) Peach (formerly known as Princess Toadstool, now known as Princess PEACH Toadstool). She and Mario obviously have a thing...otherwise Mario wouldn't save her so many daaaa...ng times! Why don't they get married? What happened to Pauline and Daisy? Why didn't Mario marry them? (but then again, we're talking about Mario...he's not excactly charming, witty, buff, or anywhere near attractive)

6) Bowser's castle. Why doesn't he occasionally make it IMPOSSIBLE for Mario to enter. Instead of setting up tons of traps inside, why not LOCK the door and GET RID of the key!?

7) Yoshi. Is it the name of a creature, or the name of a race of creatures? Same with Toad. Are all of the Mushroom People toads, or is that the name of just one.

8) Paper Mario. I didn't think I'd say something about a particular game in this list, but I'd like to know something...why'd they make a game where all the characters are paper? It's a great game...but I mean it would have been better if the characters weren't made out of paper.

9) Donkey Kong. Originally he was Mario's enemy. Now he has nothing to do with him, frolicking in adventures of his own! Also, is DK Junior a bad guy or a good guy?

10) The Mushroom Kingdom. Is this a kingdom in a distant planet, far off in another galaxy? Is it in another dimension? Is it hidden on a magical island on earth? Why  Mario and Peach the only humans there? I want to know!!!

That concludes my list. Anything to add?

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2001, 09:30:40 PM »
11. How the heck enemies and bosses from the Doki Doki Panic universe became part of the Mario universe.

To be a Koopa, you must become a Koopa.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2001, 04:40:00 AM »
actually there keeping peaches castle the same (notice mario kart and paper mario )

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2001, 08:03:27 AM »
only half the same. In Paper Mario, the inside of the castle actually has FURNITURE! In SM64, the inside is filled with rooms that contain nothing but paintings.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2001, 11:12:11 AM »
Uhh...maybe when Bowser took over Peach's castle, he decided to get rid of all the furniture, cause it wasn't his style.

And for the "why is Bowser so huge" thing...uhh...steroids, maybe?

If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2001, 02:09:36 PM »
Maybe it's becuase when Paper Mario rolled around, Nintendo was much more familiar with the N64 hardware and able to create more detailed environments than with Super Mario 64?

Seriously, I think my biggest pet peeve is when people nitpick the he// out of silly stuff and can't enjoy the final product because of it.

Bowser was small in Super Mario RPG so you could easily see and control him.  Same goes for MarioKarting. Daisy exists simply because the gameboy Mario adventures were handled by a different part of Nintendo.  This also explains Tatanga.

Just enjoy the games for God's sake.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2001, 08:22:05 PM »
Ooh. Burn...Ouch.
Yeah, I know all that stuff, but I wish Nintendo could do something to at least make the Mario universe consistent. You know, like make another game explaining why Peach and Mario have moved so many times in the fictitious Mario universe. I mean, I know in real life why these strange things go in Mario games, but I wish Nintendo could find some way to "explain" it in the Mario games themselves.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2001, 09:29:19 PM »
By nature, games don't act like that, unless they actually have a story to it like Final Fantasy VIII (boo, hiss). You're right, games should have good stories to them.

But strangely, Nintendo is obviously the weakest story teller company I've ever seen. For example, Yoshi's Story. For no reason, everything turns into a 2D book. Right.

And Rare, as great as their games may be, strangely have weak storylines too, save for Goldeneye.

It makes me wonder how such big companies can be so weak with story. A good story means getting involved in the game, and actually wanting to finish it. Half-Life, one of the best PC games ever, has a very strong storyline to it. Well, at least until the aliens pop up.

But still, you're just an ordinary scientist, doing a routine experiment, when all of a sudden it goes wrong. Then you're determined to get to the surface, but more problems arise once you do. Your main goal is to survive to tell the tale of what happened at Black Mesa, which is hard when even the human race goes against you.

Now look at the other stories. They're not as compelling. While it is entirely possible that Nintendo could make a good story game (which means Square should probably be at its side), they haven't been doing it.

All they care about is making games that are fun and entertaining. And actually, that's the best type of game. If you enjoy playing it, that's what they aim for. Sometimes you don't need a story to it, but in adventures and RPGs, you really need it to avoid getting bored out of your mind.

To be a Koopa, you must become a Koopa.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2001, 12:21:34 AM »
Miyamoto-san has made it pretty clear that the Mario games are intended to be stand-alone games.  While a lot of them feature the same style of gameplay, the rearranging of locations, power-ups, and even characters are just a way of keeping the games from getting stale, at the price of confusing fans. :)

Personally, I think part of the fun of the Mario series is trying to tie the games together somehow.  Surprisingly, this kind of blows the door open for fan-fic opportunities. . . well, for me at least.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2001, 12:25:52 AM »
Oh, and if you folks play games for the storylines, you're playing games for the wrong reason.  There are much better stories to be told within books and movies, my friend.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2001, 03:13:55 PM »
I don't really care about games having good storylines. The one thing I wish they'd change, though, is the repetitiveness that's in many video games. For example...in Mario 64, you're constitently entering new paintings that are the levels in the game. Why do they have to always be paintings? It would be better if there was a different reason for entering each level. Same with the Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. They both follow the same sort of pattern: dungeon, getting to next dungeon, dungeon, getting to next dungeon... I wish it'd change.
That's the one thing I like about the Final Fantasy games. They don't have repetitiveness like in some of Nintendo's games (Mario games in particular). That's the one thing that Nintendo could do to make their games better. Storyline or no storyline, a game can't be repetitive.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2001, 06:57:30 PM »
chilly billy ( or the other way sorry if I got it wrong I have a very short term memory ) you couldn't be more wrong. Yes some games can go with out a story ( mario party for example) but now adays video games are storys that you control. A game with a good and moveing story line ( Zelda ) can be very well injoyed. yes nintendo has good storys, and square is becomeing weak story wise (FF8) but I think a game needs 5 things. Good music to fit the mood, loveable charectors so you can injoy, fun gameplay, good story line to boot, and for a bonus graphics. With all five of those (zelda for 64, both of them ) the game can be a great game. Sorry to clear so far from the subject but I think most of you can agree with me on this one

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2001, 07:04:09 PM »
Yeah, we've pretty much strayed entirely away from the topic, but who really cares?

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2001, 07:04:41 PM »
Yeah, we've pretty much strayed entirely away from the topic, but who really cares?

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2001, 07:05:14 PM »

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

Print