Print

Author Topic: Yoshi's Cookie Inquiry  (Read 5325 times)

« on: December 03, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »
I remember enjoying the puzzle game Yoshi for the NES, so I didn't hesitate downloading it when it came out on the Virtual Console.  I never got a chance to try out Yoshi's Cookie and have realized that it has been out on the Virtual Console.  Before downloading it, however, I just wanted to ask if there are significant differences between the NES and SNES versions of the game, besides graphics and music.  Would it be worth waiting for a possible SNES release on the Virtual Console?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »
Well, I do know one thing.

Mario is not in this game. I don't care whether it looks like he's there or not, the person operating the WarioWare Factory is named "Cookie."
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »
Never played anything but the SNES game, so I can't say for sure, but I can say that what I've played of it seems at least marginally better than gameplay I've watched of the NES/GB versions.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
Just make sure you get Yoshi's Cookie, not Yoshi. They're both good puzzle games, but you'll be weirded out if you accidentally get the wrong one.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:40:28 AM »
Yoshi is where you sandwich Mario enemies between eggshells. Yoshi's Cookie is where you line up cookies in a row or column. I don't remember Yoshi ever having a SNES version (there was NES and Game Boy), whereas for Yoshi's Cookie there's an NES and SNES version. I never played the NES originals, but I'd guess the SNES versions are just upgraded graphics and sound versions.

I always preferred Yoshi's Cookie (SNES) because of the title music and some other good music. Plus, whenever you finish a stage (every 10 rounds), you get to see a short animation of Mario trying to catch that darn block (or cookie or whatever) that keeps rolling away.

Thinking about it now, "Yoshi" is a pretty vague name for a game. Doesn't give you any idea what the game is, you sure wouldn't expect a puzzle game out of it, and I never thought it particularly had a lot of Yoshi for a game named after him. He's in the corner and he appears after you sandwich enemies, but that's it. Yoshi's Cookie is pretty much the same way, he just stands there moving the cursor left and right. But at least we got a 'meep'-ing Yoshi from the commercial.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:46:48 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »
How much does Yoshi Cookie cost on the Wii Shop Channel?

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
Compare these graphics with videos of the NES ones, and take into account the great music, sounds, and cutscenes (in some respects, better than the Nintendo Puzzle Collection version), as penguinwizard said.  Your call, but I think the SNES version is superior.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »
So when Mario eats a bad cookie he turns into Fire Luigi? Cool.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
Your call, but I think the SNES version is superior.
I see.  But that's of course assuming that the SNES version will be released.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
That's definitely true.  Be it that the SNES version is better, the NES version is available, and probably doesn't lack in too much, so you probably could get it and not be missing anything major.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:46:24 PM »
How much does Yoshi Cookie cost on the Wii Shop Channel?

The NES version (and all NES games) are 500 Wii Points.

Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 12:39:05 AM »
TMNT is worth 600 Wii points, as well as the imports.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
I found this article that discusses the differences between the versions, if anybody else was curious: http://www.trsrockin.com/yoshiscookie.html

So it looks like the SNES version has a puzzle mode and a VS. COMP mode, while the NES version doesn't.  Makes me want the SNES version more, though I don't know if I can wait for the SNES version (if it does get released).  Also, to me the gameplay sounds a lot like that barrel game from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.  Can anybody confirm this?  If so, I must have this!

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
That website has tons of info on MissingNo. Check it out, then check out Glitch City Laboratories.

Print