Print

Author Topic: Cartoon Continuity Errors  (Read 2516 times)

« on: June 17, 2003, 09:45:24 AM »
I've been noticing loads of mistakes in the Mario cartoons, and it's not just mistakes relating to the games. They've even made mistakes relating to previous episodes of the cartoons! Just read on...

The first case would be the SMB Super Show episode "Brooklyn Bound". In that episode, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad cross paths with the "Duke of Drains", Salvador Drainado, who claims he's been trapped in the studio for 13 years. He's found a way back to Brooklyn, which he later labels as "the Last Drainpipe to Brooklyn". When Mario and Luigi start to reconsider, Sal tells them that this is "a one-time-only, one-way trip with no return ticket".

The problem there is that Sal must have been lying when he said that. My point there is proved in nearly half of the episodes of the SMB3 cartoon. In that near-half of the series, Mario and Luigi visit Earth frequently, even finally returning to Brooklyn thrice on the show. The episodes I'm referring to are, of course, "Toddler Terrors of Time Travel", "Misadventures in Babysitting", and "Recycled Koopa". Therefore, if Salvador really wanted to get back to Flatbush, all he really needed to do was look for a warp pipe in the Mushroom Kingdom that led to Brooklyn.

The episode "Toddler Terrors of Time Travel", while obviously making game-relation mistakes about how Mario and Luigi arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom, also makes mistakes relating to the original SMB Super Show. What makes the error obvious is the fact that the bathtub featured in the past in that episode looks nothing like the bathtub in the intro for the cartoon segments on the Super Show.

Retracing to an earlier thread of mine is something I mentioned two paragraphs ago. Every time the characters take a trip to Earth on the SMB3 cartoon, they refer to it as "the Real World". This bit continued on into the SMW cartoon as well (see the episode "Rock TV"). I've always hated that, as the Mario characters seemed to know that they were nothing more than sprites in video game cartridges. And what was even stranger was that they seemed to be comfortable with the fact that they didn't really exist. If I found out I wasn't a living, breathing person, I would've reacted just the opposite of how Mario and company were putting up with it. In the Fairly OddParents episode, "Chin Up!", Timmy wishes for his comic book hero, the Crimson Chin, to come right out of the comic book. Cosmo & Wanda grant that wish, and when the Chin makes his appearance, he is clearly confused at the sight of innocent people dressed up as his enemies. Timmy explains to the Chin that this is the real world, where he [the Chin] is just a drawing in a comic book. Timmy then wishes the Chin back into the book, but because now the Chin knows that he doesn't really exist, he loses his confidence. That's exactly what I would do if I discovered I wasn't a real living person.

The "Real World" is also where the episode that features my next subject takes place. At the beginning of the SMB3 series finale, "Super Koopa", Ludwig invents a pendant that will allow Bowser to use the SMB3 power-ups, but he can only use it on Earth, where Mario and Luigi can't get power-ups. So Bowser lures them there by kidnapping Luigi and shoving him down a pipe that leads to Paris. Mario jumps down the pipe, and Peach follows him down, but not before telling Toad to stay behind. "Why do I have to stay behind? I ALWAYS stay behind!" Toad gripes. But he's obviously wrong, because he alwaus got to go with the Marios and Peach in previous episodes. So therefore, Toad seems to have lost memory of all previous episodes. Or maybe he's saying that because he's upset after hearing that he won't be appearing in the SMW cartoon.

As for the SMW cartoon, the flashback in the disappointing series finale, "Mama Luigi", says all. Luigi says he, Mario, and Peach had come to Dinosaur Land after defeating Bowser in the Mushroom Kingdom, despite the fact that the last episode of SMB3 took place in Paris. Also, I'd like to know why Yoshi was talking like a baby when he is a baby AND when he's a full-grown Yoshi.

This has been a Nintendo Maximus rant.
Super Mario Bros. are cool like sunglasses!

Print