Print

Author Topic: Official pictures of the Nintendo DS and games!  (Read 2910 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:20:45 PM »

Go to www.nintendo.com for more info on the Nintendo DS!

The system looks like a large Game Boy Advance SP, with the two screens stacked vertically. One screen is hinged above the main screen which is built into the unit.

Nintendo is making some SWEET games for the Nintendo DS, including:

Super Mario 64X4 (a 4-player version of Super Mario 64!)

Metroid Prime!!! (the graphics look almost as good as the GameCube version!)

Wario Ware (uh again?...)

Yes, the Nintendo DS does have 3D Nintendo 64-type graphics! The second screen is actually a touch-sensitive screen (like those on a Palm PDA). The system has a rechargeable battery, which is very good for this type of technology!

The Nintendo DS is going to be so cool! I can't wait to buy one!

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:13:30 PM »
Here is the article I wrote about the DS. It takes all that stuff from Nintendo.com and compresses it down for those with short attention spans.

Oh and also, it's not Metroid Prime, it's Metroid Hunters. It's a 4-player Metroid game in which you kill each other.

What? You gotta problem with Wario Ware?

Edited by - Meowrik on 5/11/2004 7:13:47 PM

= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:00:16 PM »
Actually, it's Metroid Prime: Hunters

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:53:03 PM »
 Here's a list  of some of the current projects in development:

• Activision – Spider-Man 2
  • Atari – Title to be announced
  • Bandai – One Piece, in addition to several other additional titles in development.
  • Banpresto – Dragonball Z
  • Capcom – Several new games based on the existing Viewtiful Joe, Gyakuten Saiban and Mega Man Network series, respectively.
  • Electronic Arts – Need for Speed
  • Hudson Soft – Several titles in development.
  • Koei – Dynasty Warriors
  • Konami – Frogger 2005, in addition to several additional titles in development.
  • Majesco – Title to be announced
  • Namco – A new Mr. Driller title and an unannounced RPG.
  • Nintendo - Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, NEW Super Mario Bros., Nintendogs
  • Sega  - Project Rub
  • Square Enix  - New iterations of the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Dragon Quest Monsters series, respectively.
  • Tecmo – Monster Rancher and an unannounced title currently in development by Team Ninja.
  • THQ – A SpongeBob SquarePants title.
  • Ubisoft – A new Rayman title.
  • Vivendi – Title to be announced.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 07:11:11 AM »
I thought Tecmo and Team Ninja were working for Xbox, since it is supposedly "the most powerful game system"... Whatever.

Judging by the video and screen images of the GameCube games shown at E3, I can safely say that GameCube features some very powerful technology! The realistic Legend of Zelda game looks spectacular!

Perhaps the biggest surprise of all about the DS... Wireless networking!!!! Nintendo  announced that the DS will support wireless networking for multiplayer games (Metroid Prime: Hunters perhaps?).

Also, there is a new "PictoChat" messaging program that lets you send text and picture messages to other DS players. That is a very innovative idea...and to think it's done by Nintendo!

Also, the DS is compatable with Game Boy Advance games. This is a great idea, but I thought Nintendo was marketing the Game Boy and DS separately... Oh well.

Now to the games:
The DS will have MANY games from Nintendo.

NEW Super Mario Bros.
It looks like a completely new version of the Super Mario Bros. series. This is the first new Mario platformer in a long time!

The game is displayed on the top screen; the bottom screen shows the game's title and items you have collected.

----------

Super Mario 64 x4
Obviously a multiplayer version of Super Mario 64, with Luigi, Yoshi, Mario and Wario. The only levels shown were the Princess's Castle area and Bob-Omb Battlefield.

The graphics are better than the N64 version. The Chain Chomp in Bob-Omb Battlefield looks more menacing than he did in the original game... The character models look very detailed.

The game is displayed on the top screen; the bottom screen shows a map of the entire level.

----------

Metroid Prime: Hunters
A multiplayer Metroid game set in the Metroid Prime universe. The graphics look just as good as the GameCube game.

The game is displayed on the bottom screen; the upper screen shows a map/radar of the area you are in.

----------

Mario Kart
The only course shown was the Yoshi course from Mario Kart: Double Dash. The karts are back to single-riders.

The graphics look better than the N64 version. The character models are fully 3D and polygonal, with none of the horrible flat sprites from the N64 version.

The game is displayed on the top screen; the bottom screen shows a map of the course and the players positions.

----------

Animal Crossing
A new version of the popular GameCube game. The game looks identical to the GameCube version, with the same graphics.

The game is displayed on the top screen; the bottom screen shows a keyboard where you can type messages and communicate with characters in the game.

--------------------------------------------

All of these games for the DS look fanatstic. I am really excited about NEW Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 x4, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and Mario Kart.

The DS has so many extra features that go beyond games, such as the PictoChat messaging program. The DS is indeed the ultimate handheld entertainment system!

The DS will cost about $150, which is very affordable considering all of the technology in the system.

I was skeptical about the DS until now, I am definately going to buy it when it is released at the end of 2004.

Sony's PSP looks cool also, but I know it will be more expensive than the DS...

===========================================
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 06:58:17 PM »
Yeah that was a typo. I knew it was Metroid Prime: Hunters. ^_^'

Whoa! I didn't hear about Animal Crossing DS!!! That's incredible!

Yes, come to think of it, Nintendo did say Animal Crossing 2 was in the works. perhaps that's it?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:10:56 PM »
Is a sales pitch for every game really necessary?

It’s hard to make up your mind when you don’t have one.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 07:39:50 PM »
Ooh! Can't wait! Must..have...DS!
At first I thought it was just a mutant GB with side-by-side screens but now im hooked and crazy for one! ^_^

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 05:29:11 AM »
I'm definitely getting one.  They look awesome, and the games will be better.  Plus, NO WIRES!!!!

Mario has fused with the N-force!
Mario has fused with the N-force!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 07:39:50 PM »
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. This is overwhelming. I have been waiting for a new Mario sidescroller for so long! I cannot believe this. Nintendo's finally listening to its fans....

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 01:34:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to Animal Crossing the most. I'm pretty sure it's online, because the screen shots clearly illustrate one person talking to another person face-to-face. And the DS is online.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 10:03:32 PM »
What is this? A NEW Super Mario Bros. sidescrolling platormer?!?

("Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah" plays)

Words can't simply express how excited I am about this game. It has TONS of potential... I hope that they pack in lots of SMB3/SMW aspects, as well as some completely new, original material. Man... the nostalgia is overpowering me.

Print