Print

Author Topic: Vivian = Male? (Paper Mario)  (Read 22414 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »
I see this is derailing into another Birdo thread, which will in turn become a Yoshi x Birdo thread.

Back to Vivian... It would have helped more if she/he/it didn't ACT like a heterosexual woman instead of a homosexual man.

Say, was Vivian (or whatever he was called) a gay character?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 10:33:56 PM »
Considering that (s)he confesses her love to Mario at the end of the game, it's a possibility to say the least.

EDIT: THIS JUST IN: The Westboro Baptist Church has just decreed that God now hates Nintendo.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
Well, how much of that dialogue was modified along with Vivian's gender?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »
I'm pretty [darn] sure Vivian actually kisses him at least once. So...yeah. I'm not sure Nintendo of America would go out of their own way to do that.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Vivian wasn't gay, he was transsexual. There's a difference. You're not mentally gay if you're a dude who thinks you're a female.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 11:59:49 PM »
Lizard Dude's post reminds of this one time I was in an AIM chat and I linked the others to the profile of this one poster on another board I go to. He was a guy who mentally believed he was a women and claimed to be a lesbian dating another tranny.

A certain member in that chat took offense not at the fact that I was calling him crazy beyond reason, but because I referred to him as a he. Then I got into a two hour argument about what qualifies as male/female.

Good times.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
Has anybody here ever used the phrase "MORF"?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »
Uh, no. Brawl says Birdo is "indeterminate gender" .

Brawl also says Kaptain K.Rool is a seperate character from King K.Rool among other errors, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. The Captain Rainbow thing is probably better to go by.

I see this is derailing into another Birdo thread, which will in turn become a Yoshi x Birdo thread.

You're a jack***.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
That seems a little harsh...

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »
I see this is derailing into another Tv_Themes thread, which will in turn become a The Chef x Tv_Themes thread.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
I really don't see how that quote makes me a jack***...

All I was doing was saving my own thread from going severely off-topic like my Waluigi Dying thread.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
On one hand, we have that thread, which presented a legitimate point ("does Waluigi really need to exist anymore?") with an abruptly dark title; on the other, this thread, a legitimate topic already explained in reasonable detail elsewhere on this site (though I won't necessarily fault you for not knowing that). Both had potential for ripe debate at first, but it's only eventual that serious discussion will derail and craziness will prevail.

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
Um... I could be wrong, but maybe you guys are thinking of this the wrong way?

The Journal and Goombella's tattle both refer to her/him in a questioning way. The journal thing is supposed to be written by Mario, right? That's what I assume at least.

Anyway, Vivian's sisters make fun of her constantly, calling her ugly and other stuff. So couldn't they being calling her a man as a insult to her? Mario and Goombella could have overheard this, and gotten confused about it. (Much like us. XD)

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »
The Journal is written from a non-character perspective, and recited by Goombella in battle with her own mannerisms included.

Vivian is a gender-confused boy in the Japanese version, but was "made" into a girl by modifying the translated script for the American release.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:25:56 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
Am I the only person who likes the fact Nintendo localizes gay/transgender/transvestite characters out of my games?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print