Print

Author Topic: Your "Pet Peeves"  (Read 53891 times)

« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
With its political jokes, Family Guy is too one-sided ("wah, we have to go to a Red State, where they're all morons" or "don't give me that Republican crap"). While that I don't have a political standpoint, this shows that Family Guy chooses to lampoon only issues and people in ways that won't offend their target audience. South Park manages to lampoon all sides of a political issue, which I do find to be a good balance. As a side note, Family Guy never really focused on politics to begin with, so it seems (at least to me) out of place with its formula.

A huge reason why I stopped watching Family Guy. I honestly though that Seth took a neutral stance when it came to politics, but after episodes like "Petarded" and "Boys do cry," it was obvious to me that he was using his cartoon to further his own propaganda. Kind of a cowardly thing to do considering that there are/were Republican and Christian viewers who enjoy/used to enjoy his show.

There has also been an increase in "Let's crack on Meg Griffin" jokes (Seth MacFarlane states "It's hard to get in a teen girl's head"), which were scarce in earlier seasons and demonstrates the laziness to develop Meg's character or that she is used as an easy joke out if no others can be thought of.

Stewie is also a victim of lazy character development. I suppose it was around season 4 when they stopped using him as an evil genius and began using him as a one dimensional gay joke. It shows that there really wasn't much to his character to begin with (either that or Seth was just too lazy to expand his evil genius personality and role as the show's antagonist).

Too Long: Worse than a random, nonsensical joke that doesn't make you laugh is one that goes on for two minutes. A whole tenth of the episode's airtime. An example is when Osama Bin Laden is trying to film a new threat video but keeps screwing up. It was funny for 20 seconds but it quickly lost momentum.

I don't even have to talk about these jokes. They're just plain awful.

EDIT: I elaborated on a few more points made by NintendoExpert.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:36:19 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
Brian was to me the wisest character on the show and most tolerant. Now most of the time he sounds like he's whining and pushes his political views on people way too much. Considering Brian is supposed to be Seth's Author Avatar, it tells us a lot.

« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
Yes, Brian is the worst when it comes to political tolerance. Anyone who's seen the episode "Boys do cry" (otherwise known as the "Texas episode") will know that (depending on your political standpoint) Brian either made you the happiest person on Earth or ****ed you off so much that you just decided to stop watching the show altogether. Perhaps Seth should take a look at his own bigotry before he starts accusing others of being bigots.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »
I'd QFT the above post, but this one's right below it, so I'll just say I agree with PL.
every

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Last I checked, Seth has only written three episodes of Family Guy (counting the season 7 premiere episode that'll air this fall).

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
3 on his own, but he's been involved in all the other episodes in some way. If there was something in the episode he didn't like, he could've stopped it.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything everyone else said about that show. On the rare occasions it's on and I maybe feel like watching it, it's like eating a huge, greasy hamburger: Sure, I'll probably enjoy it, but I'll just feel guilty about it. I mean, most of those "throw-away jokes" are actually pretty funny, but they make me feel stupid. It's like, I'm thinking, "Wow, this is all it takes to entertain me? I'm not being picky about how I want to be amused, but I really wish there could be some 'smart' humor here." The saddest thing is, given the show's popularity (or, at least, its passing popularity), other shows seem to sometimes try to subtly copy its style (if such a show can even be mentioned in the same sentence as "style"). Maybe it's just me, but I've been noticing a lot more irrelevant gags in stuff like Spongebob.

Now, The Simpsons... yes, the show's been up and down lately, but the hardest I've ever laughed consecutively in recent memory was watching The Simpsons Movie for the first time.

Also, on a separate "pet peeve" note: Analysts. Actually, you know what, that's my dream profession: Get paid to have hunches.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Too Commonplace:
Too Long:
Too degrading:
I always thought that was a nail on the head with most scenes in Family Guy, especially This scene

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
Well, this sure won't make people any happier...

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »
...Cleveland show? Are you freaking kidding me? Seth has absolutely no creativity whatsoever. It's basically Family Guy with African American characters.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »
This has to be some kind of sick joke. Buuuuuuuut I'll just wait and see. And complain in the meantime.

BTW, that had better not be the final credits sequence.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
It's basically Family Guy with African American characters.
That reminds me... not to be racist, or anything, but I'm tired of shows that are somehow supposed to be funnyierbecause the people are black (Tyler Perry's stuff comes to mind).

Faith in humanity -25

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
That's a pretty justified loss of faith in humanity in this case...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
"Up until now, the Wii has been known as a family-friendly console, not counting Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Manhunt 2, Red Steel, No More Heroes, and Sadness, if that ever comes out."

Speaking of which: Where the fudge is Sadness?
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
Probably chilling out with Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., and Marionette. The four of them get together and play poker every third Wednesday.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print