Print

Author Topic: Game programing and developing.  (Read 2999 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: February 01, 2004, 09:35:50 PM »
I am tired of being a wanna be game developer.  "I wanna be a game developer."

Has anyone here ever been to Digipen or Full Sail?  Do you have any past or current game projects?

I have worked in Dark Basic, but am currently using Visual HAM for the Game Boy Advance.  Anyone else?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 10:56:49 PM »
 I have heard of Digipen before. It's that college in Washington that is run by Nintendo, no?

If only I were to live in Redmond.

As for game projects, I've my share, I suppose.

In C++, I programmed a simple Text-based RPG, and have used the different versions of RPG Maker over the years.

Though, the C RPG was the only one I had managed to finish, and it wasn't much to brag about.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »
The problem with Digipen is that it doesn't really have much focus on game theory, the ideas that go behind game design that make the game "fun".  They're really into the programming aspects... I think it kinda... I dunno.  I makes for good "grunts" who can code like nobody's business, but if you don't know what goes into the game...

I go to a small privet college called Cogswell that focuses in, among other things, game design.  It's been good so far.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 01:00:44 AM »
I have been to DigiPen...I attended two summer workshops teching me to program in C.  I made two really carppy (sic) games that aren't worth playing.  But it was a lot of fun making them.

This is not a signature.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:05:17 AM »
By the way, Fifth, DigiPen has two degree programs: one exclusively for programming, and one exclusively for design.  It it my understanding that the two processes are completely independent in actual professional game development.  So I would think that their design degree program would focus heavily on gaming theory, in addition to art and 3D graphics design, etc.  You're correct, though, in that the programming degree program should just produce code hackers.

This is not a signature.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 10:24:21 PM »
NE1 want to work together on a project?  I know a lot about BASIC and DarkBASIC, but I learning C and am using it to program in Visual HAM (a software developers kit for GBA).  I also have a MBV2 for transfering code to (and from) the Game Boy Advance.  I also plan to buy a flash cart for my GBA, but am focusing now on writing code that is simple and compact, and that's good since Multi Boot only allows 256K due to the GBAs  onboard memory limit.  I have seen flash cart as large as 1gig.  That might actually hold every GB, GBC, GBA, and NES game ever published, but I am not doing this to steal ROMs, but to make my own.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 08:18:48 PM »
Want to share projects, ideas, code, etc?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 08:29:12 PM »
Joint project, eh?
Sounds interesting, but I don't know how useful I'd be...
I don't know enough C to really be useful in coding, which is why I'm using Multimedia Fusion.
I've got some ideas for random games (nothing too great, though), as well as a few great ideas for a fangame or too...

Hm... I may have to start up my fangame again...

That GBA thing sounds pretty cool, though.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »
Recently, a college remotely close to my neighborhood released a new program, and now you can get a bachelor's degree in Video Game Design there.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 04:11:56 PM »
Here is the post I made at Nintendo's official forums.  I am including it here mostly because of the URL you guys might want to check out:

Anybody here developing games for the Game Boy Advance?  If so, want to work together on a joint project or help each other out?

I am using HAM with the Visual HAM interface and Programming the Nintendo Game Boy Advance by J. Harbour.  I have developed several simple Windows games with DarkBASIC, but want to develop, program, and publish GBA games.

Anyone seriously interested please reply, or email me.

If you are interested, but don't know what I am talking about check out the following sites.

http://jharbour.com/gameboy/index.html
http://www.thepernproject.com/index2.htm
http://www.ngine.de/site/index.php
http://www.gbadev.org/

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
 I wouldn't mind pitching in, but as Fifth said, I don't know how useful I would be.

I only know one language, C++, but I've only had a bit more than two years experience. But, if there's anything I can do to help, by all means, let me know.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 06:50:17 PM »
Two other site I find informative:

www.igda.org/breakingin
www.edmagnin.com

BlackMage, you have more experience with C++ than I do.  Have you started any games?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »
 I've only personally worked on the Text-RPG I had made.

However, I have a friend who made a low-class "Pong", and another, much more advanced friend who made a version of "Tetris."

Of course, that doesn't speak much for myself, as I had little to do with either of those two. And so, I've not worked on any games, unfortunately.

Print