Print

Author Topic: Secrets of the Wii  (Read 8225 times)

« on: February 27, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
The real reason I created this thread is to share a little story, but it brings to light the fact that there may be little things that people don't know about the Wii. We can talk about them here. Also notice I did not title this thread "Siicrets of the Wii", because I'm not retarded. Ahem:

You know how when you press a button on the remote when it's off, the lights will flash for a few seconds? Well last night I happened to do this and only the first three lights flashed. "Darn it!" I thought. "The fourth light stopped working!" It somehow dawned on me that maybe these lights were actually a battery indicator, and my batteries were now 1/4 drained. Sure enough, when I checked the Home Screen's battery indicator, the little graphic had 3 of the 4 possible battery bars showing. So that's what the lights are for! I hadn't ever seen this mentioned anywhere else on the internet, so I felt proud for making the discovery.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:44:43 AM »
I noticed that rather quickly. Odd.

"Siicrets of the Wii"
I think Siicrets (if prounced a certain way) sounds like some sort of lozenge or hard candy.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:18 PM »
I noticed that a while back as well, and also at first did think there was something wrong with one of the lights.

Yesterday, I was introduced to what may be the greatest secret of all.  You can boot Japanese GC games on a US Wii system (and vice-versa) and NTSC GC games on a PAL Wii system!  The timing is very tight, but it does work!

1. Insert a GC game of the proper region and load the Disc Channel
2. Hit the eject button on the console
3. At the very last moment before the Start button on screen goes dim, click it
4. Pull out the GC disc and smoothly insert the import disc before the blue light comes on

If done correctly, the system will boot the import disc!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »
Aw, cool! I gotta get a Wii before Nintendo secretly rereleases (or siicretlii riiriiliises) it without that ability.
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
This reminds me when the world found out that the DS Lite is E-reader compatible.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:06:28 PM »
I have no Japanese games. Cool discovery LD. I just thought it was connecting and was uncertain whether the remote was to be player 1, 2, or 3. Now who here is going to figure out how to play GBA games on the Wii without buying anything special? Or how to use it to blow up distant planets? Make waffles?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:32 PM »
I knew about LD's battering indicating light secret before the Wii even came out, but MEGAߥTE's secret is one I'm going to have to try.  If I can get it to work consistently I can say goodbye to my Action Replay.  Thanks, Mß.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37:18 PM »
This one is pretty obvious, but while waiting on the loading screen for the News channel, there's a cat in the Upper-Right hand corner. Click on him, and he'll give you a tip on how to use the controls! Eh, pretty obvious...

However, I've heard that if you own a Wii from UK/Austrailia and go to the Shop channel, then click on the Smily face, you'll be taken to a secret page called "The Warp Zone". It's basically a page revealing the histories of famous Nintendo franchises! I haven't seen this myself, but I have heard of it from a gaming website.

Oh, and thanks for that tip LD. That'll come in handy.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »
That cat is also in the Photo Channel, but is pretty hard to catch. It gives better tips, too.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »
Anyone heard about the one with the DS, switch it to sleep mode, open, with a magnet??
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »
That makes sense because it can tell whether it's open or closed because of magnets in the lid, but this is Wii secrets.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:38 PM »
Suffix: The News Channel cat told me that the Photo Channel cat was its little sister or something like that. Unfortunately I knew most of their "tips" already, but I did learn Undo, which is useful.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:12 AM »
Anyone heard about the one with the DS, switch it to sleep mode, open, with a magnet??

Say huh? You want to run that by me again?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 01:04:49 AM »
I knew about LD's battering indicating light secret before the Wii even came out, but MEGAߥTE's secret is one I'm going to have to try.  If I can get it to work consistently I can say goodbye to my Action Replay.  Thanks, Mß.
But remember this is something they could patch at any time. You could of course choose not to update ever again, but that could screw you out of some channels.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:59:02 AM »
Maybe.  But since this is part of the GC functionality they might choose not to edit it/can't edit it just like they didn't change the GBA firmware on DS (or add save/controller functionality to GC on Wii).

Print