Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power - 1988-2012  (Read 3943 times)

« on: August 22, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/source-nintendo-power-magazine-to-cease-publication/

I cancelled my subscription soon after Future US took up its publishing, but this still marks the end of an important institution in Nintendo's history.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
* Turtlekid1 has never owned even one issue
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
I was going to post this, but I got sidetracked.

But it is sad that Nintendo Power is being shut down after being around since the NES days.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
Kinda cool that they started when Super Mario Bros. 2 came out and ended when New Super Mario Bros. 2 came out.

I had a year subscription back in 2004, and then three extra free issues after that, and that was it. Just thinking about those issues makes me want to go play Tales of Symphonia and Thousand-Year Door again.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »
... I can't believe it. I feel like part of my childhood has died. I read Nintendo Power every day. I subscribed to them for years. I can't believe they're gone. You will be missed, Nintendo Power. Π_Π Viva La Nester!
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
Was a non-stop subscriber from about 1997 to 2010, when I couldn't take Future's complete molestation of an already flagging overhaul process anymore. Say a prayer for a fallen star.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
I never subscribed, but I bought each new issue for a few months when I was 13.  Back then they would display the top fan art that people sent in, and I remember drawing a picture of Mario, Peach, Toad and Yoshi on top of a mushroom platform and mailing it to them.  I got a letter back saying they liked my drawing and that I should keep a sketchbook to practice.  Yeah, they didn't put my picture in the magazine...

Eventually they stopped receiving/posting fan art.  Too bad.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
My sub expires May 2014. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
They'll write a special issue each month, custom-tailored to your interests.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Picked up a copy of the final issue today. It's really well-done, from past editors sharing their favourite memories to the special return of a face only the oldest of subscribers will recall.

Print