Print

Author Topic: super mario bros. 3:part 2  (Read 18001 times)

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 11:41:04 PM »
I actually don't like SMB3 that much.It was a good game none the less but it didn't appeal to me as much as the other Mario games.

And on the subject of having a sequel to SMB3, SMW is the next game in the series so really it is the sequel. Heck, even in Japan it was called Super Mario Bros 4: Super Mario World. So there SMW was just the subtitle. So really NSMB would be SMB5. Speaking of SMW, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was what Yoshi's Island was called on Super Nintendo so it was like Megaman, they were sorta making more than one series run at a time.

But like we all know, Yoshi's Island was rather a spin-off than an actually Mario game so SMB5 wouldn't work there. For those who were wondering about it being like Megaman with more than one series at a time, Megaman 6 came out and then there was Megaman X and then Megaman 7 and 8 and X 2 and 3. SMW was not only SMW but SMB4. SMB4=SMW. Then SMW2: Yoshi's Island.

Man that was a long and probably confusing post.

And Volbound1700, it's not that it's a bad idea (which I must say, it's not that great), it's just that there are so many ideas for Mario games and people think they're just annoying to hear them with crossovers like Sonic and Mario and Jazz JackRabbit and every freaking video game character in existence. Unfortunate to say Kirby isn't really a Nintendo character anyway (despite him being in SBB, he is the original 3rd party SSB character). He is owned by HAL and HAL could put him on any system, any time. Correct me if I'm wrong but HAL is not owned but Nintendo so yeah.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 04:15:14 AM »
Yoshi's Island is not a spin-off. Mario Party is a spin-off. Mario Paint is a spin-off. Mario's Picross is a spin-off. You get it?

HAL is totally owned by Nintendo. Or perhaps they're technically not. They do not produce games for anybody but Nintendo.

Mr. Bound, your idea is just not original, is all. Any kid could come up with, "Let's put Mario and every character that's ever been playable alongside him and a few characters from other games in a game, put them through some generic worlds at the ends of which bosses we've seen before (except one world which would have a new boss I can't imagine right now), and have thirty boss battles just before the final boss. It'd be great because it'd bring back villains from old games that had only one role like Wart and Tatanga." Don't go yelling at me and calling me an asterisk--it's only constructive criticism. It's also only the Internet.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 07:52:14 AM »
I dunno, Kirby characters in a Mario game just doesn't work. It's one of those ideas that make me shiver and think that this idea could only possibly come from a fan. Which it did.

The reason Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine did so well was because they took some planning and time to create; it doesn't take an average Joe to say "Let's create a Mario title with every character that was ever known to man and cram them into one title" but it does take a pretty creative individual (Miyamoto) to come up with a game like LM or SMS (a middle-aged plumber running around with a water pack spraying water to clean up a graffiti/polluted island; come on, this isn't everyday stuff). It took months and months of plotting and scheming (I say scheming...for lack of a better term) to come up with what they had in those games; you came up with your idea in a few minutes because in just wasn't that creative.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way; this is just some constructive criticism to help you understand why Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine were creative ideas; no idea from a fan could ever topple what Miyamoto has in mind. Ever.

And btw, I highly doubt Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine did anything to ruin the Mario universe. From what I see, they helped it every way possible.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »
HAL is a second party to Nintendo, not a third party. Nintendo owns some of HAL, I believe. At any rate, no, Kirby cannot appear on any other systems. If something like the Rare situation went down, then possibly. Although I don't see that happening. Also, Satoru Iwata used to be the president of HAL. Now he's the president of Nintendo.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 02:31:45 PM »
Are you saying that what happened with Rare is... Rare?
It's YOUR problem!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 11:05:08 PM »
Sunshine and Mansion did not do well...

They got no were near the level of SMB, SMB3 or SMW or even Mario 64.  PS2 and Xbox dominated because Gamecube made Mario so dumb (that dumb townspeople look so stupid in it).

I am one of the fans that grew up playing old NES.  My three systems as a kid where Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and GameGear so I had the original Sonic and Mario games and I think the more modern they get, the more childish they get.

However, my idea has been popular in other boards, but I think mostly because people who will talk about it in other boards grew up playing the Originals.

SMB sold like 60 million copies, compare that with Sunshine which sold maybe a 1/2 million copies. 

Plus NSMB did real well and it is not a rehash.

Also putting characters like Waluigi in the game is novel because no Mario game has them.  No Mario game has Wart, King K Rool, Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, and King DeDeDe as bad guys.

I do think Super Mario Galaxy will do real well because it seems more like SMB64 which basically was a 3D version of the world created in SMB, SMB3, SMW and that was what fans wanted.  As this poster mentions, with the technology today, Nintendo can create a very good SMB3 if they put the time into it.  If you read the review for Sunshine, it is clear that little time was put into it and that was why Gamecube did so poor.  Only good game was SSBM and Windwaker (although I enjoy the Mario Party and all the sports games but they came out later). 

Nintendo needs to get back to the original mario themes established by the original series and what happened to the original koopa kids and why cut them in favor of Bowser Jr.   
Go Vols!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 11:07:26 PM »
Also I notice a person quoted SMB3 as not being that good (which shows your different) when a lot of Magazines have it rated as one of the best games ever created and probably the best in the Mario series.
Go Vols!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »
Could you just use the edit button instead of double posting, please?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »
Sunshine and Mansion did not do well...
Actually, most game review sites praised both Sunshine AND Luigi's Mansion. I think this just a continuation of your personal opinion. Both games sold very well by today's standards and both became Player's Choice titles.

They got no were near the level of SMB, SMB3 or SMW or even Mario 64.  PS2 and Xbox dominated because Gamecube made Mario so dumb (that dumb townspeople look so stupid in it).
I don't have much to say to this, that's all a matter of personal opinion.

I am one of the fans that grew up playing old NES.
Good for you. So did I, and a good amount of users on this board over the age of 15. 
I think the more modern they get, the more childish they get.
Actually, I'd think it was the other way around. You grew up, while Mario stayed the same. Mario has been able to retain its kid-friendlyness for the past 20+ years.

However, my idea has been popular in other boards, but I think mostly because people who will talk about it in other boards grew up playing the Originals.
Again, a good amount of people here also played the originals and enjoyed them just as much as you did. You're not special here. Sure, people on other boards might like your ideas, but we're not other boards. The people who liked your ideas probably don't play video games as much as some of the people here.

SMB sold like 60 million copies, compare that with Sunshine which sold maybe a 1/2 million copies.
You know, I recall the quality of these old NES cartridges to not be so great. Though a simple Q-tip and bottle of rubbing alcohol usually did the trick when fixing cartridges, most people just thought their cartridges were broken and simply purchased new ones, resulting in such a high amount of purchased cartridges. That's just my theory, though. I'm assuming someone like Chup will shoot it down shortly.  An alternative theory is that, you know, these games have been out for decades and the games stayed in production well into the SNES's life, compared to Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion which have been out for 4 or 5 years.

Plus NSMB did real well and it is not a rehash.
No argument here.

Also putting characters like Waluigi in the game is novel because no Mario game has them.  No Mario game has Wart, King K Rool, Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, and King DeDeDe as bad guys.
That's quite an unnecessary amount of final bosses for one game, not to mention that K. Rool and DeDeDe aren't even a part of the Mario franchise (no matter how much as you want them to be. They're not.) I like it when the final boss is either Bowser, or Wario, or Wart. It shows that the bosses not in one of the games actually has a life and problems outside of stealing Peach, money, or Subcon. Or they could just be plotting their next attacks and it's taking awhile. That's saved for Mariology.

If you read the review for Sunshine, it is clear that little time was put into it
And if you actually asked most Mario fans and not a casual gamer, it's clear that most of them actually enjoyed the game. Sunshine was in development when Gamecube was still known as the Dolphin.

that was why Gamecube did so poor.  Only good game was SSBM and Windwaker (although I enjoy the Mario Party and all the sports games but they came out later). 
Maybe I'm just easy to satisfy, but all the games I purchased for my Gamecube were very enjoyable games that if I were to review I'd give very high ratings of.

Nintendo needs to get back to the original mario themes established by the original series and what happened to the original koopa kids and why cut them in favor of Bowser Jr.   
Again with these stupid "Bowser Jr. sucks" arguments. It's clear Nintendo wants to use Bowser Jr. more than the original 7 Koopalings now. Either deal with it, or stop buying Mario games, plzkthxbai.

(Yes, I like Bowser Jr. as a character. He seems to be pretty intelligent, compared to his 7 siblings.)

There are my counters to your arguments. You still want this game of yours to be made by Nintendo, fine. Good luck (and if Nintendo for some crazy reason decides to actually use your ideas, good luck trying to actually take credit for them).
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
Well, Vid, your hammering skills are much better than mine, and you hit the nail much harder than I would have.
I think the reasoning for Bowser Jr. replacing the Koopalings is simple. It's clear to me now. List the bosses for each world in Super Mario Bros. 3.
Exactly. The seven Koopalings, and you stomp on them three times to beat them.
List for me the bosses of each world in New Super Mario Bros.
Right. Because Bowser Jr. is only one guy, a wider variety of world bosses can make appearances. Don't even think about telling me I'm contradicting myself here, that you fight Bowser Jr. even more than you fought the whole group of Koopalings combined--his appearances as mini-boss in NSMB are the same as Boom Boom's in SMB3. I'm not a big fan of Bowser Jr. myself, but whatever.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2007, 06:06:14 AM »
The problem with that argument BP, is that the Koopalings actually held a crapload of potential for appearences in modern Mario games. Ever play Yoshi's Safari? Each Koopaling drives their own unique giant robot and must be defeated in various ways. Think of how much personality they could have if used in a text-heavy Mario game. I was extremely ****ed when I discovered that they don't have any lines in M&L. Totally unfair, man.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »
So apparently, some random person's review of a game dictates how much time the company put into making it? How is that logical at all?
Super Mario Sunshine sold over a million copies, otherwise it wouldn't have been a Player's Choice title. Same with Luigi's Mansion.
What the heck is the "original series"? As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a major break of any kind that would seem to differentiate different series within the list of Mario platformers.
Anyway, I agree with Bird Person. The koopalings boss battles were pretty lame. Maybe they weren't for when those games came out, but I don't know. I've never really thought they were that great.
That was a joke.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »
I've seen a lot of old-school Mario lovers who think the Mario games have deviated from what they used to be. I get annoyed when people like the older games better just because they're older. I used to hate the newer Sonic games, but about a year ago I realized it was just an illusion; a 3D Sonic game is obviously going to be different than a 2D one. The fact that newer games are different doesn't mean they're bad. They're just different.

For example, I really don't like it when people complain about the storylines in newer Mario games. I, for one, am very glad they're getting into more complex and unique plots, instead of just "ONO PEACH GOT STOLENED AGAIN!". If Nintendo had kept using that classic storyline in every Mario game, they would all essentially be the same adventure, just with different levels.

In short, people should appriciate the newer games for what they are, not bash them because they're not exactly like the older games. I like almost all of the Mario games, and I think they're getting better all the time, a good portion of which is because they're trying out new things like new environments and darker plots. That being said, it's not good to go too far over the brink-a Mario game with, say, guns and swearing, now that would be pushing it too far (*cough*Shadow the Hedgehog*cough*).
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
You all made good points and all the criticism was great.

The point is I would like to see like an ultimate game with all those bad guys and heroes.

I don't mind Bowser Jr. that much, I just wish they would have keep the 7 koopalings... Maybe have all 8 of them together.

DK is already related to Mario world.  Heck Mario Superstar Baseball has DK, Diddy, and Dixie.  The Kremlings are in Super Mario Strikers.

I admit I am not a heavy video game player, I just like Mario.  Most the people I talk to are just average joes, but it seems that my entire generation played the original Marios (1-3) and sometimes SMW but did not keep it going after that.  I cannot get people to play the new ones with me but they still love SMB3, etc.

The studies that show SMB having 60 million copies are based on distribution and that is still 60x more then Sunshine.

Also you did not address the fact that when the original ones where out Nintendo was top dog and it was not until Gamecube that they fell behind PS2 and Xbox.  Notice since Galaxy is coming out, Wii is doing better. 

I like the new story lines, I just wish the characters did not look as babyish in dumb (the people in SM Sunshine).  I just get this feel from everyone I talk to that Sunshine and Mansion are not at the quality of the other games.  However, you guys are different and both games did have some good to them, I just don't see the issue in rehashing a game similar to SMB3 as the OP stated because it would appeal to a large audience (maybe not the ones on here though). 
Go Vols!

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
I like the new story lines, I just wish the characters did not look as babyish in dumb (the people in SM Sunshine). 

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I agree with you on that one. Piantas were/are just about the worst character ideas ever.

(Beat a dead horse, is that how you say it? :/)
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print