Poll

Do you trade-in or keep your games?

I trade'em for cash to get a new game.
I keep them forever.
Print

Author Topic: To Trade, or Not to Trade?  (Read 3499 times)

« on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »
I keep games that I feel have good replay value, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and I trade-in games (at GameStop) that I get bored of like Pokemon Dash, because why would you keep a game that you no longer like? So, do you trade-in your games for new ones or just keep them?
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »
I don't buy games that I'm not going to like later.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »
The only time I ever traded a game was when I traded RE4 for Pikmin 2
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:56:05 AM »
I used to trade games and I really came to regret it, so it's a pretty bad idea. I guess if you ever bought a really bad game it would make sense to trade it, but smart buyers wouldn't buy a completely terrible game.

Sqrt2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
Like Chup, I don't buy games that I'm not going to like later.

Besides, I doubt that I'd get much money for Mario Party 5/6 anyway...
AA fanboy and proud!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
In previous years I would say yes (especially in 2006 when I traded in a large chunk of my game collection to fund the purchase of my first DS entirely using trade credit), but now that most of my gaming is on PC (no trade-ins on physical games [due to DRM? I never bothered to find out why], and most of my more recent purchases have been fully digital anyway), my answer is a resounding no.

Regardless of the whole issue about buying games you won't always like...trading in games at stores such as GameStop is generally a ripoff anyway. Just like buying them there *cough$60forElectroplanktonusedwithoutboxormanualcough*.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »
I think it's generally bullcrap to make incomplete games cost the same as complete anyway. People should be discouraged to trade incomplete games through the risk of getting less money or credit.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:32:25 AM »
I like to hold on to my games, partially because I'm a casual collector, partially because I figure someone will want to play them later, and partially because I inherited some of the gene my grandparents have wherein it's nearly impossible to get rid of anything. The only games that were bought, played, and sold/exchanged for store credit in this house were, in no major order:

-Game and Watch Gallery 4
-Spyro: Enter the Dragon
-Rayman: Hoodlum Havoc
-Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
-Amazing Island

The latter four were games given to us or bought mainly by my brother, though.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
due to DRM? I never bothered to find out why
DRM/Registration keys is usually the reason we give people where I work. (We don't deal in PC games at all.)
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
In most cases, no.  But I am planning to sell a few that I haven't played in years.  But I guess I really wouldn't be trading them, anyway.  I never get good prices when I sell to a game trading store.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
I have not traded a game in years. I have a habit of going back to older titles when I'm waiting for a new release, so I don't give them away. Heck, I broke out Diddy Kong Racing earlier today and it still rocks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:26:46 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »
I keep them, unless I decide that I just absolutely can't stand the game any longer (Diddy Kong Racing DS, which I only bought because I didn't have access to my N64 at the time).

I try to keep games that I or someone in my family will like/continue to like. Besides, I don't think I'll get much for them without the original box anyway..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
Expect three weeks ago when I wanted an ebay gift card and now I regret selling few of my precious Gamecube games.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
I always keep the games that I play because you never know when you'll want to play it again.

Print