Print

Author Topic: "The Science of the Mushroom Kingdom"  (Read 8046 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5239908/the-science-of-the-mushroom-kingdom-explores-super-flora

For a Communication Design Fundamentals class, a Carnegie Mellon University student made this mini-textbook about the flora of the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:16 PM »
That's neat, but I want to zoom in and read/look at some of those pictures.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:03:49 PM »
Yeah, I know...

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
I was wondering why my shoes stopped fitting after I ate those mushrooms.

They were fine the next day though!  Phew!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
Wait, since when do you actually EAT the Fire Flowers and Starmen?

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 06:47:32 PM »
I've always understood that they hold Fire Flowers and absorb the Starmen.

Moving on to other power-ups, I'm pretty sure they eat all of the mushroom shaped ones, except for maybe the Ultra Mushroom (New SMB), which I've assumed they absorb (It's taller and wider than they are).

They hold the Fire Flowers, and put on the Suits (Hammer, Frog, Tanooki..)

They absorb the Starmen, Feathers, and Leafs.

That's the way I've always understood it to happen, anyway..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Keep in mind, dear Toad, that the article in question is attempting to apply Mario universe objects to real-world physics. Since instantaneous absorbtion is a relatively uncommon occurence, oral consumption of the items is the most feasible facsimile.

WOW DEMS WERE SOME BIG OL' WORDS UP DERE, HUH

Anyways, I agree with Toad's explanation, save for the Fire Flower idea. Nowhere outside of Super Smash Bros. is the Fire Flower utilized through being held, so I've always supposed that the item is absorbed, much akin to Starmen and Super Leaves.

On a related note, for how long have Starmen actually been known as "Starmen"? I can't recall them having been named such in the older platformers...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »
About the Fire Flowers and Super Leaves, I believe both are activated with a touch to the hand, not necessarily holding or absorbing.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
It wasn't necessarily about things you eat--just super-powered flora (as for the Starman, there was some wiggle room with the "dust" there).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »
Fanon explanation:

Fire Flowers symbiotically bind themselves to Mario's suit (think the black suit from Spider-Man) which changes it's colors and enables him to produce fire. Super Leafs are essentially the same leaves Tanukis are supposed to use (like in Animal Crossing for a known example), so I guess the transformation there is instantaneous.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 04:22:39 AM »
On a related note, for how long have Starmen actually been known as "Starmen"? I can't recall them having been named such in the older platformers...

Since SMB, actually. While flipping through the manual I also noticed Super Mushrooms being called Magic Mushrooms. Nintendo is so crazy.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
Keep in mind, dear Toad, that the article in question is attempting to apply Mario universe objects to real-world physics. Since instantaneous absorbtion is a relatively uncommon occurence, oral consumption of the items is the most feasible facsimile.

WOW DEMS WERE SOME BIG OL' WORDS UP DERE, HUH

Anyways, I agree with Toad's explanation, save for the Fire Flower idea. Nowhere outside of Super Smash Bros. is the Fire Flower utilized through being held, so I've always supposed that the item is absorbed, much akin to Starmen and Super Leaves.

Aha! I finally was able to follow the right link and actually read the manual.

I think it's really funny that they compare the Starmen to a drug. And the Super Mushroom's explanation about body parts not returning to normal for hours and days was hilarious.

You're right. Oral consumption of most of these is the most logical explanation. If I were a young Toad, I would be scared to try the Leaf..

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
I've always understood that they hold Fire Flowers and absorb the Starmen.
I believe both are activated with a touch to the hand, not necessarily holding or absorbing.
Yeah, I've always thought something along those lines, too.  Maybe because I grew up with the Mario cartoons, where they simply touch the Fire Flower and Super Leafs to absorb its power.  But I was just thinking of any in-game evidence and remembered the Mario & Luigi series.  In those games, we see the brothers EAT the mushrooms.  But we don't see them eat the Bros. Flower, they merely touch it and throw fire.  So I'm sticking with my old hunch.  Sheesh, this topic now belongs in Mariology...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »
Mushroom: Eat
Fire Flower: Hold
Star: Absorb

...At least that's what makes sense to me.

Print