Print

Author Topic: When was Bowser the most threatening? When was he the most pathetic?  (Read 14138 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »
So yeah, in my honest opinion, Bowser hasn't aged well as a scary villain. It's really kind of sad how an ordinary plumber who has almost the same super power as he does constantly triumphing him with no weapons. But there have been times where it looks like Bowser really was being neutral evil (meaning truly evil) and not so chaotic.

He seemed to have the most power in Paper Mario. To be honest, I was disappointed he was the main villain in that game because it was supposed to be Super Mario RPG 2, I was expecting Bowser to fight on your side again. However, he really showed a lot of guts, courage and power in that game and was almost impossible to beat.

His most pathetic scheme, however, was found in the PC version of Mario is Missing. Luigi himself showed he literally had more strength than Bowser when he pulled his shell off by the tail! And get a load of Bowsers hairdo, that's so sad. Super Mario Sunshine comes in second, you can blame it on that poor cop-out when Nintendo wanted to retire the Koopalings. Good God when will people learn? Somebody's son doesn't need to look like a Midget Clone of dad, he especially doesn't need the same name.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
I don't see scariness as Bowser's main thing.  He is supposed to be well rounded, with several different emotions.  I wouldn't like Bowser as much if he was a 1 dimensional villain.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »
It's really kind of sad how an ordinary plumber who has almost the same super power as he does constantly triumphing him with no weapons.

It's a video game.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:38:30 PM »
Bowser is more actually more successful than you might think.  He is very competent in Super Paper Mario and SMRPG, and Mario probably died many times trying to get to Bowser, and trying to defeat him.  Plus, he is a lot of fun to use in the Super Smash Bros series.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Galaxy are probably his highest shining moments.

In Super Mario Bros., not only has he managed to lay siege to the entire kingdom, but anyone that stands in his way... is silenced. Turned into a block. Or a tree. His main motivation for capturing Peach this first time is simply because he can't let her or her retainers (hi guys!!) undo his work. However, it could be said that Bowser developed feelings for her during this time. ;)  Also, his castle...      his castle? World 8 in general appears to be a simple mountain area, with World 8-3 at the top. Even in All-Stars, it just looks like a huge castle in the background that he took over and pasted his picture all over.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is arguably his greatest work. Introducing several large aircraft (and a few lines of ground and naval forces) and his children into the mix, Bowser seemed to be quite genius in this installment, expanding on his transformation plans from the first game and applying them to the kings of the whole Mushroom World. Plus, his castle was cooler, and actually looked like it belonged to him. Giant Bowser head outside, front yard of doom, etc.

Super Mario Galaxy: bringing back the airships, Bowser actually manages to do some serious harm in the end (it got better), and plus... he's going for a whole galaxy this time!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
Most threatening: Undoubtedly Galaxy. Like most every fight with him in any game ever* (except some others, including the Paper Mario series**), the battles were comical, but the initial raid on Toad Town was nothing short of impressive.

Most pathetic: Super Mario Kart.

*Super Mario Bros.: Not only does he resemble a cardboard monster made by a child or a Waluigi, his death calls to the classic, "Whuh-oh. I'm stading on thin air. Waaaaaaahhhh!!!"
*Super Mario Bros. 3: Basically a song about Bowser being fat. And too stupid to realize he's breaking a floor.
*Super Mario World: Koopa Clown Car.
*Super Mario RPG: Intentionally and explicitly comedic. His sobbing animation was memorable.
*Super Mario 64: That's right, this tiny Italian man is going to lift this enormous turtle by the tail, swing him around in circles and hurl him at a bomb.
*Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: The infamous final boss of the series... is the battle tutorial.
*Super Mario Galaxy: The whole burning tail gag.

**Yoshi's Island: Argh. Agh. AAAGH.
**Paper Mario: Bowser was as serious as it gets here. He beats Mario as part of the story. His dialog is only ever funny by way of, "Man his minions are not very good" or "So this is what an evil king does when not busy..."
**Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: I realize Bowser is comic relief for most of the game. However, the fight with him was very very serious. Not to mention unfair. The primary antagonist of the story is defeated, and Mario is tired... suddenly the primary antagonist of the series arrives, is tougher than the former, and has assistance. Nnnnnnnnnno.
**Super Paper Mario: Once again Bowser is a clown, this time an ally, but you do fight him. I don't remember so clearly, but I recall no funny business while fighting him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:47:55 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
As a villain, Bowser was at his best in Galaxy. As a "good" guy, he was best in Super Paper Mario.

He is extremely pathetic in Mario Party.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
He did have a small crowning moment in Paper Mario 2 when he defeated Rawk Hawk effortlessly near the end.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
Not really all that tough though. Rawk Hawk is pathetic. Luigi could probably best him with a bit of effort. Wario would wipe the floor with him.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
I had always found the SMB-era Bowser's maniacal, emotionless glare to be far more unnerving than his latter-day antics. Of course, seeing that this is coming from a guy who used to be afraid of most Sesame Street characters for the same reason, my stance mightn't be valid here.

KING KOOPA STARES INTO YOUR SOUL...

...AND LIKES WHAT HE SEES
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »
The SNES version of Mario is Missing had a pretty intense ending. Still cheap, but not nearly as comical: Bowser got launched into the ice (from the castle in Antarctica), froze solid, and then disintegrated. That's probably when Luigi was the most threatening.

I think Galaxy did the best job of making Bowser scary and epic while also being comical. Mario Teaches Typing 2 was probably Bowser's worst moment, though. Never even showed up and he got killed by a typewriter. A typewriter typing the work "kablooka", no less.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »
Bowser wouldn't have looked quite so epic in Galaxy without all that space-wind flowing through his wavy locks.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:51:57 AM »
Bowser was most threatening in just about every Mario game he was in except for those spinoff games like the Mario Kart series. Bowser was most pathetic in Super Mario RPG when he was crying and being melodramatic enough to the point where he actually joined Mario's team to get his Keep back from Smithy.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »
Not really all that tough though. Rawk Hawk is pathetic. Luigi could probably best him with a bit of effort. Wario would wipe the floor with him.

Rawk Hawk sat at the top of a tier of fighters, and the fight against him was nothing to sneeze at either. So no he wasn't.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »
Mario beat him quite easily though. Just saying.

Most of the characters Rawk Hawk beat were generic enemies found throughout the game.

Print