Print

Author Topic: Most Underrated Mario Game  (Read 19690 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
Or rather, it would've been better if all the playable characters were able to flip.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
Yeah that woulda been okay I GUESS. But the 3-D controls were clunky anyway and the timer was retarded so I pretty much hated Flipping altogether.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
Ya know after beating it and seeing Mario asleep, there are two things I assumed as a kid.  First I assumed the Princess, Toad, and Luigi all just woke up from their dreams too.  Second, I assumed that it meant that when Mario thought he woke up, he was still dreaming and was in one of those endless "false awakenings".  Reading the manual, I now see there's a weird cryptic remark the Subconians (subconscious?) make when talking to Mario about how he has to beat Wart to break some "curse" on Mario.  They never actually say how Mario is cursed, but I like to think Wart somehow cursed Mario and the rest of his friends into eternal slumber, so Mario and friends have to save Subcon (again, subconscious?) and beat Wart to save Dreamland (not Kirby's) and wake everyone up.  So it both was all a dream and "really happened".  Considering how "wonderlandy" the Mario universe is, it isn't much of a stretch to say that the dream world is "real" in a sense there.

Uh...the Subconians said that they were cursed, not Mario himself.

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Huh, I see.  I guess being stuffed in a jar is close enough to a curse.  All the same I still interpret the ending that way.

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
Uh...the Subconians said that they were cursed, not Mario himself.

So I found the old manual for SMB2 and as it turns out, we're both right!

"Welcome to 'Subcon', the land of dreams.  We have been cursed by Wart and we are completely under his evil spell.  We have been awaiting your arrival.  Please defeat Wart and return Subcon to its natural state.  The curse Wart has put on you in the real world will not have any effect upon you here."

Not really sure what curses they are talking about since the manual doesn't explain what the curses actually are, so I just had to use my imagination there.  Hmm, so maybe the "subconians" are cursed in that many of them were all turned into those flying Beezo enemies?  I always thought they looked pretty similar...  As for Mario, yeah I still think he was cursed with eternal sleep or something.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
It's probably worth noting that the line about Mario being cursed was taken out in both the All-Stars manual and the SMA manual. I always figured if they remove something, the new release of the game supercedes the old one, such as the line about Mario and Luigi being "twins" being changed to "brothers" in SMA3.

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
That's interesting, though I still like my interpretation.  I also still like the idea of Birdo being a gender confused whatever-it-is.

Mario and Luigi are called brothers instead of twins in that one?  Huh, well can't they be both?  :D  Besides, that game makes it a little hard for them not to be twins considering they're being carried at the same time by the same stork.  I suppose it doesn't matter too much.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.geocities.jp/frnyanko/setsumei/disk/yumekoujoudokidokipanic/yumekoujoudokidokipanic.html

I found a page with a transcript of the Doki Doki Panic manual and ran it through google translate.  So apparently, if I'm interpreting the garbled translation there right, even in that version it's all taking place in dream world too, and the book they are sucked into is just telling them a story about the dream world.  That does make sense, since it's actually "Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic" and all.  I also noticed the enemy descriptions are very similar to the ones in the SMB2 manual I was reading earlier, with things like the Snifits shooting "nightmare bullets" and all of them being bad dreams created by Wart/Mamu.

This is funny...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.jp%2Ffrnyanko%2Fsetsumei%2Ffamicom%2Fsupermariousa%2Fsupermariousa.html

Apparently in "Super Mario USA" their manual also calls Birdo "Ostro".  It also seems to call Kinopio Toad, and has a little explanation that that's his USA name.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:20:48 PM by Dark Jaguar »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:58 AM »
Western localization tends to influence future Japanese releases. It happened with the Koopalings' names after all.

As for the "twins" thing, I kinda figured that the reason Mario is older than Luigi is because he was released from the Stork's mailbag at the beginning of the game, while Luigi didn't show his face until the end. How long the events of Yoshi's Island actually transpired for is a mystery though. Could be around a day. Maybe even two or three days.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
But they were delivered at the same time. What happens with twins before that moment doesn't change their twinhood.

Especially if the whole game is actually an allegory for Doctor Yoshi having trouble safely delivering one or both of the brothers
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
I am going to go with that theory. Being a father of twins, the only reason one is "older" than the other is because they can't come out (or be taken out) at the exact same time.

Luigi came out (or was taken out) first, and Mario came X hours/days later.

Sorry if that was possibly too.. disgusting.. (that's not the word I'm looking for..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
Luigi came out (or was taken out) first, and Mario came X hours/days later.

...Except Mario is the older one.

Luigi came out

Not that it was a surprise to anyone, of course. His coy nature and penchant for housekeeping made it glaringly obvious.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
Does this mean Peasley will make a comeback
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
And prod Luigi some more with his weapon sword rapier [synonym for sword that isn't also a euphemism]?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
Yeah Toad, you have it reversed. It was Mario first, Luigi second. :P

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »
Very funny Weegee. :p
I guess I could have said something other than came out..

Hmm. I guess I do have it reveresed. I don't know what I was thinking.

In other news, Wart should make a comeback. He would be a great alternate boss to use instead of Bowser, and he could be a heavy character in the spinoffs.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print