Print

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what a "correct dump rom" is....read on....  (Read 2834 times)

« on: July 07, 2000, 01:56:54 PM »
I downloaded a .nsm file (nesticle movie) for SMB (Mario 1) for the high score and Deezer put next to it (use SMB "correct dump" ROM!).  What the heck is that?  cuz when i try to even load the movie the guy just purposely jumps down a hole and dies.  I assume that happens cuz i am using the wrong rom.  Can someone explain this to me (maybe Deezer)!

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2000, 03:07:10 PM »
<takes a deep breath>

The ROM you are talking about is actually the  program inside a SMB cartridge.  It was copied onto a disk or hard drive by a special piece of hardware, which read the cart just like any other removable media and made a duplicate.  These machines are called 'backup devices', 'game copiers', etc. and are the reason why the emulation 'scene' exists.

Sometimes, these copiers are not able to completely and perfectly copy the game program.  This is usually due to special chips inside the cart itself.  Whenever a cart is not copied perfectly, a bad checksum (or 'bad dump') results.

With a first generation title like SMB, I can't imagine there being any difficulty making a perfect copy (there are no special chips).  If the ROM you have is a bad dump, it is most likely a hacked copy.  
Someone set up us the bomb!

Print