Print

Author Topic: Sony is trying to be the "next" Nintendo...  (Read 5567 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: August 15, 2002, 05:00:35 PM »
Simply put, Sony is trying to copy Nintendo's success. Have they succeeded?

If you look at the amount of PS2's sold compared to the amount of GameCubes, then yes Sony has succeeded in copying the success of Nintendo.

Sony has studied the strategies of their biggest rival on the videogame competition, and has somewhat improved on them by creating some awefully clever marketing strategies of their own (Crash Bandicoot commericals anyone?).

Also, you have probably noticed that Sony has dubbed the PS2 as "the future of entertainment", this clearly states that Sony is putting no stops to ensure the worldwide success of the PlayStation franchise! That is the same type of thing Nintendo has done with their systems: build upon an already-established successful franshise and mass-market it to the public in order to gain the most support off of it. (That probably made no sense at all... but you know what I meant!)

Also, you may have noticed that Sony's partners at NaughtyDog and Universal Interactive have copied the successful formula of Mario games by creating Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Both games have proven to be extremely successful on the PlayStation 1 system. This has been another attempt by Sony to recreate the success of Nintendo, and actually succeed at doing it!

Will the Nintendo vs. Sony competition ever end? Only for 2 reasons:

-if either Nintendo or Sony decide to back out of the competition for some reason.

-if a new company takes over the success of Nintendo and Sony, and becomes the newleader in the videogame industry.

One of these choices is bound to happen sooner or later. Obviously not now, since Microsoft is so horrible with making videogames, they have no chance at succeeding!
---
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 05:31:33 PM »
Of couse Sony "wants" as you say to be the Next nintendo. But i hope you're talking about the Nintendo of Yore, during the days of the NES and SNES. Because, we all know Nintendo's been falling ever since N64. No matter how good it is.

I hate you.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 05:33:26 PM »
Nintendo has made a big comeback with the 'Cube. And they'll get even more successfull with the release of Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and Metroid Prime!
---
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2002, 09:53:09 PM »
Agreed. But it's not going to make them king. Knowing all the other games for other systems and all the people who abandoned Nintendo, it's still falling. I'm not saying I want it to, no way! I'm just impling that Nintendo is no longer king. And for now, it seems as though they never will be. Onlt time will tell...

I hate you.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2002, 10:20:48 PM »
Practically every non-Nintendo franchise out there is worthless and irrelevant. And who wants to get sucked into that "PS9" that they were advertising? Full brain linkup?  You can smell stuff? Yeah! Sure! Just hold a stupid ball in your hand with diodes conected to your head. That is so freaky...

It sure gets boring having the same signature all the time. See what I mean?
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2002, 10:30:20 PM »
Wow! You're one huge Fanboy!

I hate you.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 07:58:45 AM »
Well, if Nintendo does end up failing to the success of PlayStation and Ecchh-Box, then I will pray to the almighty Shigeru Miyamoto that Nintendo will do whatever it takes to stay alive--even if it means producing games for those two b*st*rd comapnies!

---
A world without Nintendo is a world without videogames.

Nintendo is like a religion to me, and Shigeru Miyamoto is the God of it.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 08:02:07 AM »
I dispise any company that tries to ruin the success of Nintendo.

And Sony and Microsoft are doing just that...That's why I dispise them so much!
---

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 08:09:38 AM »
Nintendo used to be the bomb.  I had tons of fun with NES, SNES, and I was amazed when N64 came out, but the truth is, they have been dropping since N64.  Because more competition is racking up, Nintendo will not have the same successes they had long ago.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 08:24:03 AM »
Uh oh, I am starting to see a pattern here...

Sega made a big comeback with the Dreamcast when their Saturn system failed, and look what happened to them now! Now Sega's a 3rd-party game developer, making games for other consoles!

This may happen to Nintendo, if they don't get things settled in the coming years... Nintendo's future may be just like Sega's--3rd-party publisher! Oh NOOOOOOOOooooooooo... ... !
---

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2002, 09:37:00 AM »
until sony and x-box properly establish themselves with unique characters (e.g mario universe/zelda universe) and until they make interesting games that have a good story line (excluding FF series of games) and until they produce a game that will shatter SMB3, then i will stick with Nintendo!!

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2002, 09:37:02 AM »
until sony and x-box properly establish themselves with unique characters (e.g mario universe/zelda universe) and until they make interesting games that have a good story line (excluding FF series of games) and until they produce a game that will shatter SMB3, then i will stick with Nintendo!!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2002, 06:06:35 PM »
Sony already has established themselves with unique characters: Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. But now those games are coming to other systems...oh well.

I did not mean to offend any Sony fans, I like Sony alot myself! Microsoft is the one who should be dissed cause no one likes them! LOL

BOO MICROSOFT! BURN IN HELL!
YAY NINTENDO!
YAY SONY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2002, 07:34:14 PM »
To clear a few things up:
1. Some people have said that if you don't like Xbox you shouldn't like Windows. Well, they are two separate entities, and Bill Gates doesn't even have any control over what the company does anymore.
2. Sony is evil.
3. Nintendo will never become 3rd party beacuse in Japan, everybody likes them better than anything else.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2002, 10:36:33 PM »
Not everyone, that's an exageration. I like em all, they all rock. Even X-box. It's got some games. I've mentioned them enough times already.

I hate you.

Print