Print

Author Topic: I played Super Mario Sunshine!  (Read 5036 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: August 26, 2002, 11:56:12 AM »
The other day, I went to a local FuncoLand (now called GameStop) and saw a demo version of Super Mario Sunshine! I began playing it and...oh my sweet merciful Lord... it was so amazing! Super Mario Sunshine is the TRUE sequel to Super Mario 64!

First of all, I was amazed by the sharp clear graphics. They may seem a bit bland at first, but once you see Mario using his water pump to swivle around a rubbery wire and cascade over a field of grass, you will be amazed at what this new game can accomplish. The water effects are simply beautiful. When Mario jumps into the water, the splash created from his impact looks and acts like real physics of water.

The sound was also very crisp and clear. Although I didn't really hear much music, I did find a secret hidden underneath the town level: if you do a Butt Stomp (A button + L trigger) onto a sewer grate, you will fall into an underground pit, with the underground music playing from Super Mario Bros. 3! When you are underground, however, the camera pans above the position you are standing. Your position is represented by a gray sillhoette, and the underground paths are simply corridors.

I tried some of the playable levels that were in the demo. One level I played was set in a harbor, with the wire structures similar to the ones found in Super Mario World. You just jump at them to grab onto the grating, and then move around with the Control Stick. If you climb over the rotating panels, just press B to flip around to the opposite side of the grating. For ones above you, press A to flip up top of the grating.

Another level I played must have been a secret mini-game. It was a simple jumping-on-blocks platformer. You had to navigate the constantly-moving sets of blocks and platforms to try to get to the opposite side of the stage where the Shine Sprite (Star) was. I didn't make it--I kept falling out of the stage when I misjudged a jump. I also fought the giant sludge-gushing Piranha Plant boss, but I kept dying when it spit sludge at me.

Mario kept most of his moves found in Super Mario 64, such as the Wall Kick (which is ALOT easier to do in this game), the Butt Stomp, and the Triple Jump. Mario could also do his Belly Dive move by jumping and pressing B to dive onto enemies or into the water.

Mario DID NOT, however, have the ability to crouch down. This is surprising, since two of his vital moves--the Backflip and the Long Jump--cannot be performed without crouching.

Mario kept the same Italian-falsetto voice that he had in Super Mario 64, and yes it is still supplied by Charles Martinet. Mario still shouted his trademark "woo-hoo's" and "yahoos" whenever he jumped, only they sounded a bit higher this time...

Super Mario Sunshine was a very easy game to learn, with very simple controls. The water pump device was particularly cool, since you could use it as a flotation device as well as a weapon. Simply press the R-trigger to shoot water out of the pump's nozzle. To switch between the two modes--hovering and spraying--press the Y-button. The camera was simple and effective also. All of the camera controls are done with the Yellow C Stick. Press left and right on the stick to swivel the camera around Mario. Tile the C Stick up to zoom the camera closer to Mario--pull it back to pan the camera away from Mario. The X-button was used to switch to first-person perspective, where you can look around at your environment using the Control Stick.

By the way, the sludge Mario has to clean up is poisonous, so don't think you can just dive in and have fun--the sludge gradually deplenishes your health meter (represented by a sun icon on the upper right corner of the screen).

All in all, Super Mario Sunshine was a great game with tons of imaginative features. I am seriously considering buying it as soon as I can afford enough money to buy a GameCube.
---
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 12:29:22 PM »
That was a great preview, all up until the end, when you said that you don't even have a GameCube.

-------
Because I could not stop for Death
He kindly stopped for me
The Carriage held but just Ourselves
And Immortality.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 06:34:00 PM »
I would haveplayed the demo there. The only problem is:
My Funcoland is evil. They had their cube locked up and they wouldn't let me play it, it had the SMS demo in it, and he tried to make some lame excuse about yeah but if he let me play then somebody else might come along and want to play. DUMB!!! He was saying like people start fighting about it and throwing the controllers and breaking stuff... TELL ME, what kind of idiot would do that anyway?! That was the lamest excuse for an excuse I've ever heard! I am so incredibly mad! Well, at least I'll be getting my copy in less than 2 days... hopefully tomorrow. But I tell you, if you're ever in Tulsa, don't go to Funcoland here.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 07:35:38 PM »
Kudos for the helpful review, I'm extremely tempted to buy the game now, but I think I should rent it first and see if I like it. I'm sure I will, but still...It's not in my nature to buy games, I'm a rental gal at heart. I beat Paper Mario in more or less one sitting, and I rented Mario RPG about 20 times when I was 12 before I beat it.

However, I'm concerned about Mario and Luigi's voices, they seem to be getting squeakier and squeakier. I was playing SSBM with some non-gamer girlfriends the other day and they thought Mario sounded like a pansy. Is Nintendo trying to get their main men beaten up and crammed into a locker or something?

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 07:42:33 PM »
You obviously hang out with really ignorant people. People who criticize Mario (and Luigi)'s voice must pay! Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. I cannot emphasize how much this angers me.

I have never rented a game in my life. I've always bought them, because I know what I like, I like Fritos® corn chips.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 07:49:07 PM »
Yeah, like I say, they don't play video games much and haven't learned to love the brothers like we have. But even I think the squeakiness could be toned down a little. Seriously, when was the last time you heard a middle-aged guy who sounded like that?

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Edited by - Pyrasaur on 8/26/2002 6:50:13 PM

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2002, 08:18:02 PM »
Charles said that the voice was comforting to young children. He didn't want a gruff, normal, voice.

-------
Because I could not stop for Death
He kindly stopped for me
The Carriage held but just Ourselves
And Immortality.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 08:29:08 PM »
Hey, you know, whatever he wants is fine with me... I agree, he's gotten a higher voice, but that's cool with me, and like they say, the want it to be open to all ages.

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2002, 08:30:13 PM »
Oh yeah, and Mario's short, so his voice is high cause of short vocal cords.

That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2002, 08:44:28 PM »

Edited by - CashCrazed on 8/26/2002 7:45:03 PM
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2002, 08:50:52 PM »
Wassup? this is yo pimp Mario he', bringin' yo DOWN to da GROUND wit da smokin' hits! Next up id da NEW HIT MA-E-IO Sun-SHIIIIINE, YEAEAH! So, get yo homies togetho and p'pare fo da NEW title! Hit it, y'all!

How yo think da kiddies wo' like DAT?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2002, 08:53:24 PM »
Wrong topic, CashCrazed.

That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2002, 08:55:27 PM »
No, that depicts Mario's voice, like it would be a REAL man.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2002, 08:56:26 PM »
Oh. Dang, that would be weird.

That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2002, 08:57:29 PM »
Whoa...minute after minute....it's like chat.

Print