Print

Author Topic: Marching Band  (Read 9648 times)

« on: September 30, 2002, 04:28:50 PM »
Okay..here's a really fun question! :) Who here is in Marching Band. Seriously! You don't HAVE to name your school, but I was just wondering! I am! So...how about you! I just thought that it would be fun to know! Maybe talk about "marching basics" or something like that!

:)
I like cheese!

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 09:37:10 PM »
I'm in marching band at Havre (Montana) High School. I play euphonium and this year we're doing/done a James Bond show.

"Thus Spake Lizard"

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 08:57:19 AM »
That's so awsome! I love James Bond! Our show this year is called "Down from Shimmering Skies" We had a competition last week, and we placed second in our division, and guard (me) placed 1st. We made it to finals and placed 7th out of 12. It was fun! Are you guys going to GSL?

Well, probably NOT b/c your school's in Montana! But, what ever!

Edited by - Lola Prue on 10/2/2002 7:59:07 AM
I like cheese!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 07:52:14 PM »
Heh, you guessed right. My director hasn't done any competitions in quite some time, although some surprisingly small schools around the state that I know of have gone to surprisingly big competetions. Anyhow, we basically just perform for our town (parades, games, etc.) and sometimes play for random college games and whatnot.

The Bond show is pretty cool. It includes JB Theme (of course :P), "Live and Let Die" (one mean song, if you ask me), and "For Your Eyes Only."

So what kind of songs are you playing? Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?

"Thus Spake Lizard"

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 05:52:30 PM »
im in marching band. i play clarinet. my band is small we have:
2 flutes
5 clarinets
4 saxes
6 trumpets
2 french horns
1 baritone
4 trombones
2 sousaphones
1 xylophone
4 bass drums
2 snares
2 symbols
1 quad
5 flags

that's 41 people. we have to play every home game and one away game. our show has hits from the 70's
25 or 6 to 4
Crazy little thing called love
Carry on my wayward son

it os good, veryvery good

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 10:55:25 PM »
Those are good songs.
One thing, the title is actually "Carry On Wayward Son", no "my". :-D

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2002, 11:32:07 AM »
I LOVE the song, Live and Let Die! I'm a HUGE JB freak! Anyway...NO! We do not play twinkle twinkle little star. All though that would be funny...we're not! The music is an arrangment of a piece by James Curnow called "Down from Shimmering Skies." It has five movements, and we are using parts of mvts. 1;2;3; and 5. The movements are called:

The Cosmos
The Spirit World
The Mortal World
The Sky World

It's really fun! We just has a competition on Saturday. Band placd 3rd, and guard placed 2nd. Not bad. It was so muddy! I slipped and fell! :) But I'm all right!
I like cheese!

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 03:17:17 PM »
Just got back from college game homecoming pre-game marching. Things went well, except we took about 10 seconds too long so the dual jet fly-over came 10 seconds before the end of the national anthem.

Oh well, time to go buy Mario Sunshine.

"Thus Spake Lizard"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 09:33:46 PM »
You mean you don't have it yet?!
:-P

That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 10:05:44 PM »
I was in a marching band, but I graduated this year and am in college now.  But I play symphony band now.  Symphony is so much cooler because your can actually hear the woodwinds, especially saxes.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 07:53:50 PM »
Heh-heh! Boy don't you know! We can hardly hear our saxes too!

(No offense to any one who is actually in my school's marching band!)
I like cheese!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2002, 08:34:51 PM »
I play trumpet in the high school marching band (Now, anyway, marching season is only 2 weeks away from being over) And I must say.. I don't get any respect there. My director has me playing the crappy 3rd part wheras I am better (Not saying this to sound condesending, but it's true) Than all of the 2nds and 3rd, and about 1 or 2 of the 1sts! They got a freshman playing first part! (I am in 10th grade) Is it any coincidence that his mom is also head of the School Board of *Insert my town here*? And that the band got a "larger that normal" budget from the School Board of *Insert my town here*? I doubt it. And so the director has me playing the crappy 3rd part. I am the only person playing 3rd Trumpet that can PLAY their part. None of the others can play their part, along with the 2nds either... And therefore you only hear 1st Trumpet, and I am forced between making a sucky blaring sound or not being heard (Most of the 1sts can play their parts... includidng the freshman. Hey, I never said the freshman sucked.) because no one else in the 2nds and 3rd are playing, and the 1sts are heard oer everyone. I am surprised we even got a 1st caption (60+ points) at our District competition...

Needless to say, our band is run corruptly.

I am not a people person. In fact, I`m more of an anti-people person.
I respect your post. As long as you don''t insult my intelligence in it.
~I.S.~

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2002, 10:29:09 PM »
I'm in marching/concert band. The way my school goes, if you're in concert band you're in marching band. I play tenor sax in Advanced band and jazz band. My band teacher's cool! He's really funny. Last year we went to Knott's Berry Farm, a theme park near us. We have about 165 students in the band.

"I am FLUDD, the Flash liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance"
I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2002, 11:56:12 PM »
I've eaten some Knott's jelly of some kind before.
I'm not in a marching band, but I'm in an orchestra... and not a crummy school orchestra either.

That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2002, 07:11:32 PM »
You know what's fun? :) I'm in orchestra too! My orchestra teacher makes fun of the band all the time, and a lot of what she says it true! But anyway, yeah, I just thought that it was fun that I'm both in band and Orchestra. The ADVANCED chamber orchestra too! 1st violin too! :)
I like cheese!

Print