Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478424 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1200 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »
Problem is...
Anyway, please feel free to reply and post your own ideas.  Although, like I said in the title, I'd appreciate it if we kept this a serious thread and not have people saying "here's the perfect explanation, it's a game".
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1201 on: April 21, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »
"No set storyline and no set rules" stated by the man himself? That's a toughie.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1202 on: April 21, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
That's were we come in. We're allowed to interpret it how we want, thus leading to the creation of this thread.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1203 on: April 21, 2007, 10:27:56 PM »
It is an official (as official as Japanese SSBM can be at least) fact that Yoshis are neither male nor female.
Now, that doesn't stop them breaking that rule at any time when they want to because there is no continuity.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1204 on: April 23, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »
Alright, here's how I have it:

There's the "Real World" of the Mario universe and the "Paper World", which I would find to be but an alternate dimension/reality. This is kind of a Hyrule/Termina case from Zelda Majora's Mask. Paper Mario and "Real" Mario would actually be two different characters. They haven't seen each other, mainly because some sort of portal between the two realities has been sealed off. Because of no continuity in the Paper World, just about anything can happen anyways.

The minor enemies in the "Real World" are just average subspecies, all with random genders and random names. They're not as particularly advanced as they are in the Paper World (Goombario, Goombella, Professor Frankly, etc.).

SMRPG and Mario & Luigi would actually be tying in to the story of this "Real World". Prince Peasley, Fawful, Cackletta, Popple, etc. pretty much found a new home in here with the enduring storylines of these games. Kylie Koopa still would be in the past Mushroom Kingdom. Because of the Baby Bros. appearing in MK:DD with the normal ones, she can come to the present era if she wanted to as well.

Birdo's a girl here (If NOA said otherwise with joking intent, so be it...). She and Yoshi are the "main ones" of their kind (magenta and green, respectively).

The Mushroom Kingdom and the Beanbean Kingdom would be on the same continent. Beanbean Kingdom west of Mushroom Kingdom (the plane was flying that way, after all). Isle Delfino south of them. Yoshi's Island a little to the east, near the mainland's Mushroom Kingdom. Sarasaland would be on some island further west off the mainland.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7039/mariomappq8.png - Rough sketch of the Mario universe map here. Did this a long time ago, so some things that aren't there I just thought of now.

As far as Wario's scenario goes, the many places he plunders are north of the mainland this time (Kitchen Island, etc.).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:55:40 AM by BooDestroyer »

« Reply #1205 on: April 23, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
Afraid the hypothesis that the Paper games are a seperate world has two big problems.

Two things introduced in Paper Mario made their way into future non-Paper games. The Star Spirits in Mario Party 5, and Tutankoopa in Mario Pinball Land. Minor appearances? Sure, but I'd think it does well to counter the idea that the Paper Marios are outside of normal canon. They may be done in a different artstyle, but there seems to be nothing to suggest they're seperate plotlines.

Also, Toad Town- used in both Mario and Luigi games- debuted in Paper Mario. Aaaand in Hoohoo University, the ? block room has a "Block used in Paper Mario". Again, like the characters, these are somewhat minor, but help.
I'll think of a better signature later!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1206 on: April 23, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »
Paper Mario is heavily based on the art style from Yoshi's Island and contains heaps of references to past Mario games, so I'd definitely count it as part of the same "universe" as the other Mario games.

« Reply #1207 on: April 23, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure that map is incorrect: I've read somewhere that the BeanBean Kingdom is actually south of the Mushroom Kingdom. Plus, where's Sarasa Land? Y'know, Daisy's kingdom? This map is pretty good start, but it definatly needs some modifcation.

And your alternate dimension theory is very interesting, but somewhat flawed. If the two worlds are seperate, then how did Mario become famous in the Paper Mario realm? Most Mario fans agree (even the ones here) that graphics in the PM games are just a representation of the real Mario's adventures, it's not a big indication that the two realms are seperate. It's a nice idea, though.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1208 on: April 24, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »
That map really makes no sense.
That was a joke.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #1209 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:54 PM »
Well for one the Mushroom Kingdom is a different culture so who says that they use names like Kings, Knights, etc.  German states called their kings princes. 

I always thought the Koopa Kids where created by Koopa through magic or because Koopa could be unisex or something.  He is a dragon afterall. 

They need a mario game with Koopa, Donkey Kong, and Wart all in it for Mario to go to their worlds.  Maybe have DK as a boss and as a good guy as well like with Knuckles early on in Sonic games.  Have Wart, King K Rool, and Bowser as villians along with Wario and Waluigi.  Have Diddy Kong in it as well.  Maybe a 4 player game and you can choose Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Toad as heros and later unlock more heroes like DK, Diddy, and Kirby.  (put Kirby's world in their somewhere as well).
Go Vols!

« Reply #1210 on: April 30, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
Okey, what now?

« Reply #1211 on: May 01, 2007, 01:27:55 AM »
I have a serious question: How are there 81 pages of this silliness?  ;)
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #1212 on: May 01, 2007, 06:49:26 AM »
We are Mario scholars studying some of the mysteries of the Marioverse, and forming theories.  Thus, the term, Mariology.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #1213 on: May 08, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
 Is the Mushroom worlds gravity weaker than Earths? Mario and Luigi can both jump very high. Sometimes, another species like a Toad. Has jumped just as high as them. An example would be in Super Mario Sunshine and Mario&Luigi. In SMS, one of the pictures at the end of the game is at the top of a hill that only Mario could jump to. Or, in Mario&Luigi, in Toad town, one of the Toads jump just as high as Mario when surprised(Or Beans).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1214 on: May 08, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
I'd say that humans in the Mushroom Kingdom have super powers by nature, and the Toad in SMB2 is Peach's right-hand Toad, meaning he's able to pull off some pretty amazing feats (He was the strongest one). The Toad who jumped into the air out of surprise could be chalked up to plain cartoon physics, but I guess a burst of adrenaline could cause someone to do that.

Print