Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 479213 times)

« Reply #975 on: December 18, 2006, 01:35:01 PM »
Not when I'm at the controls, baby.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #976 on: December 18, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
It appears that they're mixing "plot" with "game" here, which shouldn't be.

« Reply #977 on: December 18, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »
I mean Mario hasn't died once in the story. Does anybody disagree with the stuff in the list back there?
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #978 on: December 23, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »
Nobody? Really, everybody thinks that stuff is only in game?

Yes I know double post

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »
 Its a video game. people just come back to life, always. like, how can someone have "lives". it makes sense, doesn't it?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #980 on: December 26, 2006, 03:59:57 PM »
I believe the first post in this topic specifically states not to use that excuse.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #981 on: December 29, 2006, 02:46:23 AM »
In M&L:SS, an NPC acknowledges saving as your way of not kicking any buckets. So does PM:TTYD. It's like in Zelda when you're told by characters to Z-target; don't ask, pretend they didn't say that and just go. It's a normal thing in their world.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #982 on: December 29, 2006, 12:04:45 PM »
I was testing Fantastic 4: Flame On! for GBA at work. In that game, Reed Richards explained save points as replicating the Human Torch's DNA in case he needed to respawn. So in that game, it basically states that if he dies, they can make copies of him. o_o
Anyway, more games (like M&LSS) are giving you way out of context information.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #983 on: December 29, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
CW's post reminded me of an issue of Fleetway's Sonic the Comic in which of Sonic's extra lives busts out of it's monitor and starts making mischief around Mobius. This is off-topic, but it is an interesting way to look at extra lives.

« Reply #984 on: December 30, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »
Chef's post made me think of a thing happening in an old SMW cartoon episode.. The one where Bowser introduces TV to the cave people, and the Bros end up wrestling against Bowser and the Koopa Kids in a giant TV/arena place, made of [?] boxes.

Mario hits one of the boxes and a bunch of little Mario's (extra lives?) pops out and distracts the Koopa Kids long enough for Mario and Luigi to escape.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #985 on: December 31, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
So what we're saying is that 1ups are like cloning devices?  That's an interesting viewpoint.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #986 on: December 31, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »
That's a terrible view point and shouldn't even be considered canon.

So 1-ups do or do not exist?

« Reply #987 on: January 01, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
I have a theory about why there are so few humans. Evolution. Think about it!
There are no humans anywhere else in the mario-verse except mushroom kingdom until M & L come in.
Delfino Island, none.
Yoshi's Island, none.
Beanbean Kingdom, none.
It could have started with humans, but others adapted to the conditions around them.
And I don't mean like humans ==> goombas, because goombas could be like our animals.
I mean like humans could've evolved into nokis and piantas and toads and stuff.

« Reply #988 on: January 01, 2007, 05:41:10 PM »
My theory is that, just like people in our world poach animals for certain aspects they have (example: poaching elephants for their ivory), humans in the mario-verse naturally posess some sort of precious commodity. For a while, the other species in the Mario-verse co-existed with the humans, until Morton Sr. (who I believe is Bowser's father) decided to go on a massive human killing campaign to get this commodity. Heck, even Peach's family was killed (Toadsworth managed to hide Peach so the Koopas wouldn't find her)! That's why Mario's parents decided to leave them on Earth when they were toddlers: to get them away from the killing so they could have a chance at life (Morton Sr. was still king at the time. Bowser was only 5 yrs. old and a prince back then and hadn't ascended into power) Later, when Morton Sr. died, Bowser took over as king and decided that killing the humans was a waste of time and money and stopped the poaching, but at this point, the human race was endangered and spread out across the globe. Plus, human poachers, while not as widespread, were still around, so it looked as though the humans would never get a chance to peacefully repopulate.

Decades later, when Mario and Luigi came to the Mushroom World via warp pipe, Mario discovered the danger that the human race was in, so opened up Mario World (which is from SML2), an island out on the sea, one where no poachers would find, as a Human haven where the human race could finally live at peace

That's just my theory.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #989 on: January 01, 2007, 08:05:01 PM »
The only flaws I can see in your theory is that Mario Land might not even have any humans, as there weren't any in SML2. If anything, Mario used it as a place where he can get away from it all, like Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

My theory is that all the humans currently on Mushroom Earth descended directly from people from our Earth. Humans might have discovered a portal there many years ago (probably the same kind of portal from Mario Golf GB) and the Mushroom People saw them as superior to them (being taller and having noses, for example). That, and any humans that do live on Mushroom Earth usually have superhuman abilities.

Also, I had an idea for an origin story for Peach, in which her mother came from out Earth and her father was a Mushroom Person.  Somehow King Toadstool fell in love with this lady and decided to make her his queen. Then they discovered they they couldn't breed, so they wished for a child and the Star Spirits granted them a oversized peach. The princess was born from this peach, hence the name. Yes, I kind of ripped off Momotaro, but a lot of things in the Mario series are based on fairy tales and mythology.

Print