Print

Author Topic: What Did really happen between Square and Nintendo?  (Read 2545 times)

« on: April 21, 2001, 05:36:56 PM »
What really happened that casued Square to leave in the first place?

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2001, 07:49:34 PM »
I can explain it, sort of.

Squaresoft left Nintendo when the Playstation (or maybe it was Dreamcast) came out because they would rather make RPGs on a system that could hold more memory. I think something about Sony being a more potential seller had a part in it as well.

Of course, if Squaresoft were to have stuck with the Nintendo 64, then that would have been awesome. But we've seen the limits of the machine. Squaresoft wanted to go with a system that could hold more memory, to make a more amazing game. So they made several Final Fantasies (I'm getting tired of it going up to ten, though) on a different console.

With GameCube and Game Boy Advance around the corner, it sounds like Squaresoft wants to go back to Nintendo. But Mr. Yamawhoever said no. I don't know why he said this (I protest against that decision), but maybe because it's unacceptable to bring back a company that has betrayed you, maybe fearing that it could happen again in the future.

I bet some of our other fellow Fungi Forum people will help explain this better.

May Yoshi live long and prosper...
Oh, and may PenguinWizard have the same treatment.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2001, 09:08:49 PM »
Peinguin wizad, I'm just saying that it was the playstation. hope that clears a little.Square would proboly never go to Sega's immence evil(j/k,sega's cool too) But yea, all that is true. i heard that there was also a better deal that Sony had so Square left. And did you know that Square of America's building used to be next to Nintendo of Americas building, but when Square left Nintendo they moved their office to Los Angeles?

Would you like to buy a star?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2001, 12:09:55 AM »
What's stopping Square from being a 3rd party developer for GBA and GC? Can't anybody who knows how make games for them?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2001, 10:14:55 AM »
Actuly it was cause the Phillips CDI. Nintendo and Sony were working together on the PSX to be an add on to the SNES and with out telling Sony. Nintendo made hotel mario and 3 zelda games with phillips. Sony got mad,and they finished the Playstation for them selves.
Sig...
------------------------------
Small Console = Big Ballz

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2001, 08:21:38 PM »
Here is what really happened with square and playstation and Nintendo.

Nintendo realized the potential of CDs in the future of gaming while they were working on Super Nintendo after seeing what the I-Drive could do- Nintendo decided they wanted to share information with them to get a CD drive for the SNES or even the next gen system - Like Sega they had to give up something as well in a trade like this and they let I Drive have the rights to use licenced characters in their games.  While work was happening on this system they (sony) decided that it was a good idea as well and so they put the work for nintendo to a stop and built their own gaming system from what Nintendo had wanted.  Nintendo was ****ed off and decided that they were not going to have anything to do with CDs anymore.  Square had already talked to Nintendo about wanting CDs because of the potential but this incident caused Nintendo to say no.  Square got ****ed and stopped all titles they had in work except for Mario RPG which they agreed to finish and then they were done with Nintendo.  Nintendo was furious at square has held a grudge all of these years.

-----------------------------

http://nintendointense.4t.com
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2001, 11:03:38 PM »
That was dumb of Nintendo. They should be mad at Sony, not Square. I really wish they'd just get over their grudge and let Square come back. I really want to see a true sequel to Super Mario RPG.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Print