Print

Author Topic: Bowser's speed Inconsistency ?  (Read 9164 times)

« on: April 29, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
Why is it that in some games like Super Mario Galaxy, Bowser can keep up with Mario and can jump much higher than him, but in other games such as sports games, he is often the slowest character who can't go faster than a walk?

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
Balance? Bowser's huge, after all, gotta make him a heavy (Heavy Weapons Dragon?). We've already had Mario grab Bowser by the tail in Super Mario 64. Maybe Bowser needed to be faster this time so Mario couldn't do the same thing again. Not that it'd matter - Bowser would probably go around the planet in orbit.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
Well, just look at how beefy Bowser's legs are! Legs that beefy would quite definitely be strong enough to run fast, even though Bowser does weigh a lot.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »
Was that drawn before or after what I said? We totally needed a pic like that.

My mind's broken after hearing someone say Bowser has "beefy legs". I'm just going to sit in the corner there and try to get that image out of my head.

"I am Heavy Weapons Dragon, and THESE are my beefy legs. They weigh 150 kilograms each and the flesh ripples over every bulging muscle when I stomp on the ground. It costs $400,000 to render these details in an FMV for 12 seconds."
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »
Was that drawn before or after what I said? We totally needed a pic like that.

Before, but I was waiting for an opportunity to use it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »
He's clearly a bad sport who hates having fun. Therefore, he puts no effort into the recreational activities that Mario makes everyone participates in.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
I don't know, Mario Tennis 64 didn't look like an effortless battle to me.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Mario Tennis, Mairo Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Baseball and (maybe) Mario Strikers are all in seperate canons from the actual series. It is said in Paper Mario that Mario and Luigi used to have kart racing, playing tennis and golf, but I seriously doubt the kart racings were about throwing mortal explosives to each other. In Mario Party, the goal is basically to hurt your friends the most possible, yet I doubt Mario would hurt Peach. In Mario Kart, we see Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Dry Bowser and Rosalina appearing, but that's quite impossible considering Dry Bowser IS Bowser, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi can't go to the future and Rosalina wouldn't quit her job of "mother of the cosmos" to have fun.

And it continues. So the Bowser from spin-offes (excluding RPGs) is NOT the Bowser from Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »
It is said in Paper Mario that Mario and Luigi used to have kart racing, playing tennis and golf, but I seriously doubt the kart racings were about throwing mortal explosives to each other.
In Mario's world, explosives are hardly a mortal danger.
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi can't go to the future
Play Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
Rosalina wouldn't quit her job of "mother of the cosmos" to have fun.
Who said she quit?  Why not take some time off to have a little fun?

I don't see how Bowser's speed inconsistency could be a continuity issue.  It's not like everyone is at his or her peak performance every single day.  We simply accept it as part of the game design.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
In Mario's world, explosives are hardly a mortal danger.
How that ?

Play Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
The time holes were closed.

[i}Who said she quit?  Why not take some time off to have a little fun?[/i]
Would a mid-god take vacations to do kart racing ?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
Sure she could do some kart racing. She apparently can teleport and stuff so it'd be a snap to come down to Mario's earth and back.

Also, let's be realistic, a full grand prix takes like 15 minutes to get done with. She could totally manage that.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »
How that ?
Even if we assume bombs generally are fatally dangerous in Mario's world, I'm sure there can exist more than one type of bomb. I don't think we're supposed to read much into that.
(I'll still go with the "explosives doesn't necessarily have to be fatal in such a cartoonish universe" theory though).

The time holes were closed.
The babies brought the time machine with them.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
Even if we assume bombs generally are fatally dangerous in Mario's world, I'm sure there can exist more than one type of bomb. I don't think we're supposed to read much into that.
In Super Mario Bros. 3, a Bob-Omb's explosion can kill Mario. In the Mario Kart series, the Bob-Omb explosions are much bigger.

The babies brought the time machine with them.
As I know, the time machine automatically come back to the present time. How do you think it came back at the beginning of the game ? I doubt the Shroob that was inside knew how to use it, either.

Anyway, Bowser's speed (and size, and jump) incosistency doesn't matter, really.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »
One theory on Galaxy--I think you'd run fast too if your tail was on fire. He doesn't really run at other times, rather he jumps around from place to place.

Print