Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns  (Read 38324 times)

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
I've always hated underwater levels, in any platformer. They're typically confusing, slow, and poorly programmed. Good riddance.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
I am not sad by this news, but I feel that SMB and SMB3 had water levels done the right way (or a correct way, anyway). Anything that has come since has stunk.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned:

EDIT: Okay, so I decided to do my homework and read through the entire thread... but what was the point of it all when 92 of the 97 replies to this thread so far have been full of *****ing/moaning/whining/arguing and people trying to one-up each other/call each other out?

How the new DKC is shaping up is how NSMB Wii should've been.

I saw the trailer for it and it just looks outstanding. Tons of detail, tons of action, tons of Z-axis depth (ex. barrels in line that shoot you to different locations in the background and all in between). It just has a much more organic, flowing feel than NSMB Wii had, and seeing the trailer really accentuates how much Nintendo really did "play it safe" with NSMB Wii. What we got for NSMB was a conservative side-scroller. Mentioning the depth thing again, there's actually a landscape seemingly at all times (with enemies and other things actually happening in it) instead of something like NSMB's background abyss with an assumed 3-block-wide playing field and then some random hills, etc. on the horizon.

Also, in the trailer, how awesome is the evening silhouette part where the only obvious thing still in bright color is DK's tie and Diddy's hat?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:04:15 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
It's awesome enough for me to use a fan-made wallpaper based on it.

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »
No Kremlings? Uh... saddened by that. No water levels? No ENGUARDE!? ...okay, so water levels weren't my favorite, but I'm really gonna miss Enguarde. He's been in every DKC game... I think. I hope Squawks returns at the least. Any pig that looks like Troff's alright to me.

As for why water levels always have to suck... it's a curse. They are at once the prettiest levels in a game and the most frustrating. I still think Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future is the perfect embodiment of the idea: every level is underwater (except for at least one) since you're a dolphin, the game looks gorgeous even today... but it just doesn't control well at all and you get lost easily.

Super Mario 64's water levels weren't bad though. There can certainly be exceptions. I just don't believe they can be more enjoyable and less frustrating than regular ground levels.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
EDIT: Okay, so I decided to do my homework and read through the entire thread... but what was the point of it all when 92 of the 97 replies to this thread so far have been full of *****ing/moaning/whining/arguing and people trying to one-up each other/call each other out?

It's there to show you kids today have no idea what a good platformer is.

I'm also not sure why so many of you have trouble with underwater levels. They've never given me any trouble in any game I've played, except for the one in DKC2 where your only source of light is that glowfish. As such, I will assume some of you hate variety and challenge.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »
All it is is people complain about how much it slows the gameplay down (which I can see their point), especially if it's a slow, scrolling level.

Yeah, it can be annoying when simply slapped together, but water levels aren't terrible.
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »
Ristar pulled it off pretty well, from what I recall.

I'm a little worried that they might be interpreting the Country games too much through the Jungle Beat lens if they feel like the water levels don't fit with the feel of the game. The Country games weren't constantly fast and hectic, they were deliberately paced, epic, somehow relaxing while also being challenging and a bit frustrating -- and perhaps most importantly, had a wide variety of vastly different environments. Aquatic Ambience is pretty much the best song on the whole OST, too.

Those silhouette levels are pretty sweet, though. Visually striking, good change of pace, and somehow seems to really fit with the series in a way I can't quite put my finger on. All I really need at this point is Cranky. There's no way they're leaving him out.

I could quibble about the apparent lack of Classic Controller support, but that BOSS thing should be close enough.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
Actually, I don't think water levels work well in side scrollers, but to be honest they weren't terrible in DKC. And no K. Rool will bother me, oh well. I guess Rare is irreplaceable.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
I am not sad by this news, but I feel that SMB and SMB3 had water levels done the right way (or a correct way, anyway). Anything that has come since has stunk.

I disagree. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy (haven't played the second one yet, unfortunately), and a variety of other games have had excellent water levels. The only annoyance I have with water levels is that they are often slow.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
SM64 and SMG I'll agree with, but swimming in SMS was just annoying. Underwater stages got even worse in SMS when Mario wore the fishbowl on his head.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
have you guys ever played video games
That was a joke.

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »
SM64 and SMG I'll agree with, but swimming in SMS was just annoying. Underwater stages got even worse in SMS when Mario wore the fishbowl on his head.

My thoughts exactly. Save for Sunshine, the Mario series has handled water levels better in 3D.

Chup: Of course not.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
Going to bump this because I don't see anybody discussing this game here, so I assume you people either hate fun and challenging games, or you just have bad taste.

Anyway, I reached World 8 yesterday, and so far I've lost about 100 lives. I have been knocked out by enemies, fallen down pits and mostly made stupid mistakes and died in moments of my incompetence. But I'll be [darn]ed if I'm not enjoying the punishment. THIS is what video games are all about. A large world, huge levels with multiple secrets and enemies, and a level of challenge that definitely gives you a sense of accomplishment when you finally overcome them. I'm proud to say this is the first game in a long time that I have to keep coming back to, I just simply can't put it down. Despite failing multiple times in my run through, I have only resorted to looking up help once, and that was to deal with the Feather Fiend boss, because I could not grasp how to fight it at all.

What Retro did here is what other companies should take notes on. They clearly couldn't emulate the SNES trilogy, which were masterpieces in themselves, so they went ahead and brought in the ingredients that made those games so memorable, and cranked up the crazyness to excite the inner child inside of you. I mean, when I start a level, I immediately recognize an old tune brought back to liven up DK Island once more and I fall into a nostalgic trance. But that doesn't last long, because these levels require you to keep your senses aware of everything coming at you. One of my personal favorites is Rickety Rails, where you're once again riding a mine cart, this time through a cave full of frozen stalactite, all the while the ground below you is breaking apart and the rails soon become too brittle to support you. Meanwhile a bunch of moles throw pickaxes and bombs at you, and you're jumping skills are put to the test as you dodge stalagmites and earthquakes. If this description just made your heart stop, you need to actually experience it to truly feel the adrenaline of this game.

But the game isn't simply Donkey Kong Country Extreme. There are many new elements that keep the game from feeling too much like a rehash. Rocketbarrel levels have been majorly changed to be more about your sense of pressure rather than the fuel you can collect. Your ability to survive depends solely on how sensitively you can press the gas even when giant cogs and bats are closing in on you. There's also silhouette levels, a rare treat in the game that makes you appreciate the aesthetic value of a video game more than simply looking at it. These levels I've found to be some of the easiest in the game, but they offer a great moment where you can simply watch a painting in motion, accompanied by the best remix of Jungle Hijinx, and possibly the best track in the game.. DK and Diddy also have new abilities to make the visit much smoother than you can imagine. Diddy brings back his Peanut Popguns and the Rocketbarrel Pack, making him the ideal co-op buddy especially when playing with an inexperienced player. Don't rely on them too much though, because they will drain your Life Balloons, which also deplete if you do not free them from the barrels they can arrive in from off-screen. DK is packing the same ol' ground pound and roll as before, but he also gives whistling a try. That's right, blowing on daisies, windmills and torches could net you some extra bananas, coins and even puzzle pieces. It can even make facing flammable enemies less of a chore.

I truly want to meet with the staff at Retro Studios and personally thank them for making the greatest follow up to a dormant video game series this generation. I remember a lot of key staff left after Metroid Prime 3 wrapped up, and many doubted they could recapture the same magic after the Prime trilogy. But Donkey Kong Country Returns proved that the studio is lead by a shared vision, not a select number of individuals. The vision of creating a wonderful video game experience, the kind that last a life time. That is anyone who owns a Wii should have this game in their library. Give old Donkey Kong a banana and he will bring home the gold.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »
Just to clarify, the reason I haven't talked about this on the forum is because I've been too busy playing it to death. :P

Print