Poll

Which of the following Mario platformers is your favorite?

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Print

Author Topic: SMB3 VS. SMW  (Read 37923 times)

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
People, people, people. Everyone in here keeps saying Super Mario World has 96 levels. It only has 74 levels.

jdaster, the animation consisted of three frames but the second frame was used again, i.e. 12321232123212321.
Just so I know I'm not crazy, watch this and see if it looks that way to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x00jzvfWH4I

Looking at this, I'm pretty sure it's just 123123...

That is true that SMW has only 74 levels, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 01:38:11 AM »
Watch the motion of Mario's hands. It's much smoother and doesn't have a jerky reset back to the first frame of the animation. It's especially easy to see when he slows down from walking.
That was a joke.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 03:34:26 AM »
Uh, SMW had Yoshi. Case closed.

But then, SMB3 had the Hammer Bros. suit.

Case re-opened.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »
Wow, I could've sworn that was a three-frame animation, but a slow-motion video confirmed otherwise.  That's gonna cost me a few geek points.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:11 AM »
I'm saddened by the lack of taste in the forums... how can the inferior SMW have more votes than the far superior Super Mario Bros. 3?
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »
  • Yoshi
  • Cape Feather
  • Spin Jump
  • Yoshi
  • Mario has traction
  • Replayable levels
  • Yoshi
  • Star World and Special Zone
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 10:54:42 AM »
Yoshi only counts once, since all four colors can do the same things that any of the other colors can. It depends on the color of the shell he eats too..

I'm still not going to vote. I like them both too much. SMB3 for the power-ups, SMW for the funny scenes after beating a world (or area, or castle, or Koopaling..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
how can the inferior SMW have more votes than the far superior Super Mario Bros. 3?

Your lack of a supportive argument saddens Weegee.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Since when do you talk in third person? Maybe penguinwizard hasn't been paying attention.

penguinwizard's reminded of the people who think Super Mario 64 is inferior to earlier Mario titles.
You didn't say wot wot.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »
Since when do you talk in third person? Maybe penguinwizard hasn't been paying attention.

penguinwizard's reminded of the people who think Super Mario 64 is inferior to earlier Mario titles.

It -IS- inferior to SMB3 and Yoshi's Island.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »
I wouldn't say that SMW's Yoshi is always a good thing.  I've heard some arguments that Yoshi was too much of a good thing that could drain some of the platforming challenge in the game.  Which is also why I like the way Yoshi was implemented in NSMBW.

By the way, I'm not sure I still agree with my first post.  I said along the lines that SMB3 is my favorite for artsy reasons and not for gameplay reasons, but after playing some more SMB3 on its 20th birthday, I was pleasantly surprised by some level designs.  Nintendo really deserves an award for World 6-5!  And that fortress made of pure ice with sliding Thwomps?  Genius!  I still adore SMW (especially for its map design) but there's something about SMB3's level design.

I'm saddened by the lack of taste in the forums... how can the inferior SMW have more votes than the far superior Super Mario Bros. 3?

Nah, don't go there!  I may agree with you, but that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to their opinions.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:26:09 PM by Fawful Fan »

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
I wouldn't say that SMW's Yoshi is always a good thing.  I've heard some arguments that Yoshi was too much of a good thing that could drain some of the platforming challenge in the game.  Which is also why I like the way Yoshi was implemented in NSMBW.

Uh really? What kind of bonuses did Yoshi give for platforming? If you're thinking what I'm thinking, no you couldn't 'flutter' in SMW, only in YI and NSMBW. The only thing I can think of is if you do the suicide jump off Yoshi which gives you sort of an extra chance if you say, fall into a pit or something, but I'd sort of label that an advanced technique.

By the way, I'm not sure I still agree with my first post.  I said along the lines that SMB3 is my favorite for artsy reasons and not for gameplay reasons, but after playing some more SMB3 on its 20th birthday, I was pleasantly surprised by some level designs.  Nintendo really deserves an award for World 6-5!  And that fortress made of pure ice with sliding Thwomps?  Genius!  I still adore SMW (especially for its map design) but there's something about SMB3's level design.
Nah, don't go there!  I may agree with you, but that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to their opinions.

Right, because the SNES is inferior to a game console from 5 years before. And this sounds like nothing, but try to tell me there wasn't a huge jump between the NES and SNES.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
Yoshi's ability to safely jump on practically anything could be considered overly advantageous, although it wasn't a game-breaker. By the way, SMW gets points for allowing the player to save their progress, thus letting one savour one's accomplishments.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
Well, let's face it; Yoshi's ability to jump on spikey enemies isn't that much of a game-breaker when one considers that deaths in Mario platformers frequently result from falling into the abyss or getting hit from the side, and also that the Spin Jump can land on spiky enemies as well.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
For the Yoshi thing, I'm referring to how you can get hit then jump back onto Yoshi and go on as if you took no damage.  Infinite hits.  And if you have a blue Yoshi, you can just take a shell and fly past many obstacles.  But I'm not saying that Yoshi is a completely bad thing.  He adds an interesting dynamic to platforming--help your buddy out and he can help you do things you could never do on your own.  I'm just saying that Yoshi's powers can be abused.

And this sounds like nothing, but try to tell me there wasn't a huge jump between the NES and SNES.

Why would I?  Of course there was a jump between the two.

Print