Print

Author Topic: Luigi is not a coward!  (Read 12068 times)

« on: March 13, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »
Since Luigi's Mansion he's been labeled as a chicken. I think the only other games he showed fear was in Mario & Luigi ( Correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't know, I have yet to play those games ).

What other game has he ever been afraid in hmmmm!?

In Luigi's Mansion he was scared. But you would be too if you where alone in a dark mansion FILLED with ghosts and spirits!!! Armed with an enhanced vacuum and flashlight! And a few mushroom people that don't help.

All of a sudden he became afraid of everything overnight because of that game.

Is his new fearful personality added by how he almost never goes on adventures? Or that he's supposidly shy or something!?

Anyway, bottom line why does everone say he's a coward because he went into the haunted mansion!? He seems a lot braver than anyone else to me!

Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:58:06 PM »
He gets scared in Mario Party, and DDR:MM.

Also, if you get Luigi's health down to 1 or 5, (Yes, I know it's cruel,) He'll scream Mario! in a cowradly way.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »
He gets scared in Mario Party, and DDR:MM.

By what?

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »
In Mario Strikers, he'll siver "N-N-Next level games." That's complete and udder BS, I'm telling you. Why is he afraid of everything? I'm tired of it, really.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:01:06 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »
He needed more differentiation from Mario, and if I recall correctly, he's always been the more timid brother.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »
That's complete and udder B&, I'm telling you.

Is this a new use of "B&" I'm unaware of?

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:52 PM »
I'm guesing his cowardice stemmed from his Fist of Fear attack in Super Smash Bros. Plus he works well as the comedy relief character of the series.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
Nintendo's obviously trying to justify making him 2P in the original Super Mario Bros. game by giving him a timid, scared of everything sidekick personality. And I honestly don't like the direction Nintendo took with Luigi, to be honest. I mean, if you want to make Luigi less decisive than Mario, great. But making him afraid of everything, as Nintendo seems to be doing with their recent works, is just overdoing it to me. I don't know.
~I.S.~

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:40:44 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty lame how Nintendo's flattened Luigi into such a static character.  It's very corporate of them--almost as if they funded an internal marketing group to give the green bro a make-over.  By the way, I agree:  It all started with Luigi's Mansion.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:03 AM »
Luigi is still heroic.  Remember, he saved Princess Eclair and the Waffle Kingdom from the evil king Crepe, without any help from his older brother.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 12:58:16 AM »
No no, not King Crepe. The Chestnut King. But that's besides the point.
In M&L:PiT he was portrayed as a "target" more than a coward. Throughout the course of the game, he's stepped on, whacked, chased, and several things fall on his head--Baby Mario, a shrooblet, an enormous block, and a hamer, to name a few.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 01:58:51 PM »
Is this a new use of "B&" I'm unaware of?

Huh. I saw someone else use it, so...........

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
No no, not King Crepe. The Chestnut King. But that's besides the point.

I suggest you re-read the last chapter of Super Luigi.  It clearly explains how Crepe was the true threat to the Waffle Kingdom, in his bid to restore the power of the Luff Empire.  The Chestnut King was innocent.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »
I don't mind his timid nature, but Nintendo seem to be overexaggerating it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
Huh. I saw someone else use it, so...........

That means B-and; banned. :O

Anyway, Luigi is funny as the more timid brother, but they overdid it, imo.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
Well, it's obvious that I meant to say that. X_X

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
I think it may have started before SSB, because in the Mario cartoons, whenever he was afraid he would say timidly "Ma-ma-ma-mario!"
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »
I don't think Luigi is a coward.  A coward is one whom never takes risks.  Luigi takes a risk in Luigi's Mansion, doesn't he? 

TEM

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 09:09:36 PM »
He's right! A coward is one who turns tail in the face of fear. Luigi keeps on trucking even when he's scared out of his mind.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:32:37 PM by TEM »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 11:59:48 PM »
[Flame war deleted] Aarom, that response was quite unneeded, in my mind.
yoshimastar, your reply was unsustained, and also unecessary. Enough.

TEM brings up an interesting point, in my mind. I think that Luigi, in Nintendo's current build of his personality, is moreso shoved into these situations in ways he can't control, instead of voluntarily plugging on despite being freaked out.
~I.S.~

TEM

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »
And truly, is a person who plunges (punnage unintentional) themselves into danger without a hint of concern for themselves really seen as superior to someone who does show concern for themselves? The answer is no. The concerned person is obviously either smarter or more human, both of which makes a fictional character more interesting, to me, anyways.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 09:06:53 PM »
I more highly regard the person who does the right thing despite being afraid than the person who does the right thing without fear.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »
... In that case, I'd like to stand up to the mod who deleted Aarom's post.  It was rather overbearing to delete such a harmless post; perhaps you read it with the wrong voice.  Next time, read it with the happy voice.

In addition to being a coward, I don't like how Luigi is constantly associated with vacuums.  It sucks.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »
Yes, but it generated a negative response from Yoshimastar, meaning that it would seem unfair if only Yoshimastar's post was deleted, but not Aarom's. It would look bad.

Oh, and rotlfmao to DeadAwake's last comment.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 11:04:29 PM »
Really? I associate Luigi with a punching bag, considering he's been one since Superstar Saga. He's like The Hurricane of the Mario universe.

Wait....Could it be mere coincidence that both had green as their primary colors?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
In my opinion, Luigi thrown into crazy situations are much more funner then Mario doing something he wants. Ok, compare Luigi's Mansion to Super Mario Sunshine. The whole concept is much funner on LM then on SMS because, really, playing a reluctlant coward is more of a challenge than a heroeic hero. The challenge is too play carefully and try to make the coward a hero, and when accomplished, feels much more better then winning another game with the same heroic characters.

I must admit that Luigi is changing really fast, but I think of it as a kind of good thing. Although the oddness of his moves in SSBM was unnerving, he seems more like a playable character than a #2. Plus, call him names and he'll kill you with his fire punch!
Most Wishy-Washy

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »
Do you know what bravery is?  It's when you face your fears to do what you feel is right.  Luigi risked his life in a haunted mansion to save his brother despite that fact that he was terrified.  With that in mind, he's one of the bravest video game characters I know of.

Now a coward is one that runs away from their fears.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »
"People who are fearless are simply fearless. Those who act in spite of their fears are truely brave."- (.....I don't remember who said it.)

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »
Sounds like something Gandalf would say to Frodo.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 03:48:05 AM »
I don't think Luigi's a coward. He's a NITWIT, but certainly not a coward!
A real coward would abandon his loving brother all together to a group of ghosts and could never free him! (Luigi's Mansion)
A real coward would abandon his loving brother all together when he feels too stiff about the rumours he hears of a monster that eats people, even when that monster holds the vital item to cure the coward's brother from his illness! (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)

Luigi is a big, fat idiot, who doesn't how brave he really is. All the scary things he thinks about is only scary in his mind!
Luigi can be quite a clutz - very clumsy indeed! Luigi may be tend to be pessimistic about the situations, his whereabouts, and even the adventure as a whole. Luigi may not recognise things clearly until he looks at it thrice. Luigi may claim very unlogical assumptions. Luigi may try to loaf around during the worst of times. Luigi may tend to cry a lot. Luigi may even say the worst of jokes. Then Luigi can certainly not know how brave he really is most of the time!

Luigi can obviously show he's a very scared person, but that does not mean that it makes him in any way a coward!
Despite his moronity, it is his very bravery which makes him the best sidekick a big brother could have!
Well, he's not perfect, but still a good sidekick...

Let's say Luigi is more of the Fun Side of the Brothers!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »

I think you insulted him more than gave compliments.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2006, 10:54:24 PM »
Errrrr, Luigi isn't fat.
~I.S.~

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 07:24:05 AM »
I think you insulted him more than gave compliments.

Oh? Then what if I tell you I relate to Luigi a lot? If I really did insult Luigi, then I'm insulting myself!

Errrrr, Luigi isn't fat.

I meant that the "idiocity" of his is fat! Besides, Luigi has a potbelly, does he not?
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 10:18:24 AM »
Maybe a little bit of one, but not much.  HIs height justifies any potbelly he might have.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »
Almost everyone in the Mario games has a pot-belly it seems.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »
"Oh? Then what if I tell you I relate to Luigi a lot? If I really did insult Luigi, then I'm insulting myself!"

Or you are similar to Luigi and insulted yourself without realising it and used that comment to back up your statments.

Or you don't relate to Luigi at all and you did insult him.

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 02:48:35 AM »
Or you are similar to Luigi and insulted yourself without realising it and used that comment to back up your statments.

Or you don't relate to Luigi at all and you did insult him.

Or maybe I'm VERY sure of what I said...
I seriously do like Luigi a lot that I actually went and finished Luigi's Mansion three times in a row once! I also adore the solo Luigi mission in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!

Print