Print

Author Topic: Java is now open source.  (Read 2678 times)

« on: November 13, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
Today in a historic move, Sun is opening the door to greater innovation by open sourcing key Java implementations—Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE), Java Platform Micro Edition (Java ME), and Java Platform Enterprise Edition (Java EE)—under the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2), the same license as GNU/Linux.

Source
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:22:43 PM by Raccoon Sam »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:30:14 PM »
What's all this now?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
Java's source code is now open for amateur programmers to view and modify under the GNU General Public License.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 05:30:42 PM »
Sorta off-topic, but then again, it's sorta on-topic.

I'm getting Windows Vista. However, Java isn't compatable with Vista. If I uninstall Java, will any bad things happen to my computer (ie, certian programs not working properly, ect)?
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:50:30 PM »
I'm sure there'll be a new version of Java by then.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:13:00 PM »
It disgruntles me when people don't use Latin abbreviations correctly. "i.e." and "etc."
Yes, some Windows programs (and a lot of web applications) are Java-based. You kind of need it.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:41:36 AM »
Uhh what?  I'm using Windows Vista and I have Java installed.  It works fine.  I think there was an old version that didn't, but the latest one does.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:24:13 PM »
Nywah? Vista's out already? Man, I must be behind the times.
every

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:27:09 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Microsoft has stated that the scheduled release dates are currently November 30, 2006 for volume license customers and worldwide availability on January 30, 2007. Windows Vista English Edition was released to MSDN subscribers on November 16, 2006.

I'm guessing MB's isn't exactly on the level if you know what I mean, or else its some kind of beta program.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 09:23:38 AM »
I have MSDN access.  One of the benefits of being a computer engineer.

Print