Print

Author Topic: BMX!!  (Read 4855 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: January 25, 2004, 09:54:58 PM »
Does anyone have a trick bike, do tricks on that bike, or even have any type of bike in the first place???

I've made this thread mostly to show my progress of my riding, report any events that might pop up, or listen to things you others have ever done on a bike.

Tricks- Can anyone do any tricks?

I can do:

-Bunnyhop (4-5 inches.)
-Tailwhip (90% of it...)
-Gaps (I think you know what I mean; jumping over gaps...)

I do wanna make a track with some dirt jumps in my backyard so I can do some air tricks for a change. I feel extremely confident unlike my friend; let's call him Moron. He acts like he's all tough because he plays football, has blonde hair (dyed), and plays a guitar, but he is too scared to go off a tiny jump or just go for something rather than bearing the same, old excuses:
"I don't wanna mess up my new bike." (It's not new.)
"I don't wanna scratch the paint job."
"I wanna do this before I do this."

Good thing I have another cool friend that makes fun of him for it. He needs a little does of reality and truth.

Racing- Do you race friends around the neighborhood or something similar? Follow the leader? Trick chains?

Bails/crashes- Everyone has a good bail/crash story. Everyone has at least done it once if you ridden a bike. I remember when I was going slow on my bike years ago opening and closing my mailbox as fast as I could. I was messing around and I was gonna show my friends, but my handlebars caught the pole holding up the mailbox and I kind of fell. I wasn't seriously injured. OH, another thing: have your pedals ever slipped making the pedal smack you in the shin? That happened to me a few days ago on my right shin and actually today on the same shin. Sometimes it can really hurt for a few seconds.
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BAILING AND CRASHING.
CRASHING- When you don't expect it, you hit the ground wrong from the air, you hit something on the road, shoelaces caught in the spokes, chains screwed up, etc.
BAILING- When you know ahead of time that you will not land or there is a unavoidable obstacle in your way and you just either jump off your bike or kick your bike away if time allows so it won't trample you.

Miscellaneous (sp?)- Report any other things that might have happened on your bike like weird incidents and other things of the sort. Er... actually, anything you want to about biking. Advertise or whatever.

"If you throw an object in the air, its shadow gets bigger. So, if you put a baseball next to the sun, its shadow would block out the Earth." ~One of my Friends

Edited by - Trainman on 1/25/2004 7:57:04 PM
Formerly quite reasonable.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 12:20:54 AM »
I used to have a bike ramp when I was little.  My first time going off, I sort of landed off balance and I tried to stop, but I ran into a parked car.
Another time, I was riding with shorts on, and they were going up in the wind, so I stood on the bike, and tried to hold on to the handlebars with one hand and push my pant leg down with the other.  Apparently I'm not good at standing on a bike steering with one hand.  I started accidentally shaking the handlebars, and the bike steered to one side and I flew off, which was kind of fun, until the bike landed on my leg.

I was fine both times.  The only tricks I can do are pop wheelies and going off ramps.  I haven't ridden a bike for a long time.  Whatever.  Gotta go!  Bye!

If you eat sixty-two oranges, fifty-three bananas, and seventy-four apples, then you''re full of fruit!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 02:09:09 PM »
I don't really bike much, but I know how. I'm not too good, though.

A Story: Last summer, I went to a wooded lot behing my friend's house, and a couple of my friends and me made some jumps. We did a good job, making several 3 1/2 foot jumps, a quarter pipe, etc. Anyway, I tried to go off the biggest jump, which my friend's brother appropriately named "Goliath". Long story short, I landed on my back with my bike crushing my stomach. I had a large bruise on my leg, but it was still funny. I wish I had taped it.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »
Updates:

I forgot to mention the best place in the world pertaining to biking, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.

CAMP WOODWARD- EVERYTHING you could ever imagine on a ANYTHING, basically. BMX racing, BMX freestyle, snowboarding, blading, go karts, horseback, arcade, every ramp you could imagine, dirt for miles, flatland lots, every rail to grind, EVERYTHING!!!!

If you live in or near Woodward, Pennsylvania (original park), Michigan, or California, you are in luck. For more info, details on the park feautres, and cost, go to www.campwoodward.com. Also, it is a private camp and you have profesional coaches, so I wouldn't worry.

My progress:

Well, yesterday I started building a dirt tabletop, but I decided to scrap the idea... well at least until my friend comes over tomorrow to give me tips and help me (we get out early tomorrow at 11:55AM instead of 3:45PM; teacher workshop, PAAA!!!)

I took the ramp my dad uses for the motorcycles to put on the trailer and put on top of one cinder block (for starters of jumping), and came to the conclusion that the ramp was too thin. What I'll do is put  another cinder block on the other side to level it out and elevate it, then practice my grinds. Can't wait till tomorrow, because my good friend and I will either:

A. Come to my house and go to the out-of-business convenient store for some tricks.

B. Build some portable ramps at my place and jump them.

C. Make fun of my other friend; Meowrik remembers him as "Moron" and so will all of you reading this. So, let's do some equations by substituting...

My other friend = Moron.

We will make fun of him because he is scared to do tricks and thinks he will be laughed at (we would, but with him, not at him, heh heh >:P), or he is scared of casing an attempted trick and hurting himself (AND once again being laughed at). You may think that's mean, but hey, my good friend can take it and so can I. So I think Moron, the "big and tough football player" should learn how to laugh at himself too and know the blood, sweat, and tears that await him in any sport. He chooses BMX although he insists that we suck yet he's too scared to attempt anything. Moron.

D, (10,000,000% sure we will do): All of the above.

I went to my cousin's today, got a wider piece of metal, put two cinder blocks next to each other as to not let the ramp wobble, and jumped the heck out of it. We started out sucky by simply riding off of it slowly and letting the front tire hit, then the back, but then we got up some nerve and went faster which definitely made a difference. Hope to do a lot of biking tomorrow since we get off early. Also, with the video camera I got, I wanna film my good friend and I doing some tricks. My birthday is next month and I'll ask for a video capture card so that I can put some of my tricks (if I can do them correctly or not, I don't care) on here for you all to see. Er... does anybody have a suggestion for a host that is free? I would rather host it on a site of my own, so I won't have to deal with all the troubles.

"Some day... when I'm bigger... I wanna get that trick done correctly on film!"

Come on, people! I need more than 2 posts!

"If you throw an object in the air, its shadow gets bigger. So, if you put a baseball next to the sun, its shadow would block out the Earth." ~One of my Friends

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 08:20:50 PM »
I have a trick bike. I sit on it and it falls apart. Kind of like my grandfather's trick hip.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."- Jebediah Springfield

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 07:41:06 PM »
HURRY!!! IF YOU ARE READING THIS, GET YOUR REMOTE AND TAKE OVER THE TV.

Turn on MTV RIGHT NOW; Dave Mirra is hosting Road Rules!!!! It will end in 20 minutes; 9 PM CENTRAL. HURRY BEFORE I PAAA YOU IN THE FACE!!!

"If I had my way everyone in my school would be dead." ~Makar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 12:47:09 AM »
I rode my motorcycle off a steel form propped up by two tires, before.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 11:06:46 PM »
COOL, LD!!!

UPDATES: Vans Triple Crown was on a week or so ago...

Also, I have a VERY important one!

Moron and I might get SPONSORED! I want my good friend (tired of saying that; let's call him Blake now) to join in, also, and he will.

Moron was at Sun Country Bicycles getting some pads and a helmet {pegs, too} (because he always puts holes in himself; NEVER scratches, so he's scared. his mom now forces him to wear a helmet. HAHAh; he can't even wear the 'cool' way because I think his head and massive [retarded looking] hair fills up the helmet and then some). The cool manager with the same name as me (Patrick, duh) saw his obvious intrests and told him that he could get sponsored if he made a video and showed it to him. He mentioned me because, hey, I ride too, obviously, and he said that he would sponsor us if we did all of that. I want Blake to join us too, because he's cool and we can easily communicate to each other about tips, etc. I would like my cousin to come, (if Patrick allows it; he is a small business, you know) but the thing is, is that my cousin will degrade himself when he does a trick because someone else can do something "better" than him although he does it right. He compares himself to others that might be better than him then just engraves it into his head. He doesn't feel sorry for himself after all of this for some reason because it seems that he is on a pity-trip, but only God knows what's going on in his head...

So, wish me luck and let's hope that we get better quick within the summer so we can get sponsored!!! (Also, before word leaks out and every biker in town will be asking for sponsorship.) Now everyone that reads this will find the numbers to these biker people and call them to tell the secret... with my strange luck nowadays....

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents
+--Support our troops.--+

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 12:39:51 AM »
Holy crap, this is an old thread... THAT NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!!

I learned the following tricks, first try, at my old junior high (I knew it'd be fun!)today:

-Feeble Grind

-Feeble Stall

-Smith Grind

-Smith Stall (and no, I didn't just "set my peg" on the obstacle, either)

-Double Peg Stall

-Double Peg Grind (Couldn't try it because the ledge was rocky concrete and was VERY sticky. I didn't have wax or anything, either. I will at the skatepark if I go tomorrow.)

-Crooked Grind (There weren't very good rails at the school... I feel like trying a Crooked Grind on the lower rails at the skatepark just to get used to them since the Smiths were so easy. All a crooked is, is a smith moved over a little to where the back peg will grind, too, so why not?)

Man, the feebles are fun. It's very exiciting to learn a new trick (and get it on the first try) because... it just feel good! Now I can try stuff on the flybox and rails now at the skatepark.

The grinds came like second nature to me (probably because I am very coordinated). The feebles were EXTREMELY easy and so were the double pegs. Smiths were kind of harder, but not enough to where I need to practice it for months. Since the two grinds I can do for sure are coming to me so easily, I'll try modified grinds these days.

Maybe I'll be the next luc-e doing a Feeble to Barspin to Feeble, or a feeble to smith. Maybe even double peg to 180 fakie to alley-oop double peg.

Here are pictures of the tricks I can do.
NOTE: These pics aren't of me. I'll get some soon (when I fix my bike, yet again):

Feeble Grind:

[img src=http://www.bmxtrix.com/images/gallery/example_trick_pics/street_vert_1/feeble_grind_by_dan.jpg]

Smith Grind:

CANNOT BE DISPLAYED; all it is is an opposite Feeble (front peg grinding, back tire on ledge).

Double Peg Grind:

CANNOT BE DISPLAYED; Hmm, I think you could guess what a Double Peg Grind is...

EDIT: Can someone fix the link for me?!

"Big doubles, no troubles!" ~Todd Lyons

Edited by - Trainman on 7/9/2004 11:44:46 PM

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »
Still working on those frickin' pictures...

Er... the only reason I can't get them is because my bike is screwed up again. The bearings came out of the freewheel SIDE, not the freewheel itself (the thingy that makes the clicky sounds when you coast or pedal backwards) so the tire moves side to side and leans at severe angles.

I must get new rims (can't get bearings or they'll just fall out again) but I can't get them seperate at the bike shop and the internet will take too long along with being around the same price.

I don't have 130 frickin' dollars to fix this, but by the time I get the money, I'll forget what BMX is and school will be preventing me from riding... so basically, I'll never be riding again, so why not just quit? My parents are prepaired for what the extreme sport brings, so why am I even doing it if I'm going to spend 90% of the time not riding because of the stupid bike and 10% riding with my bike barely holding itself up? My parents can't keep up, so why even try...

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 09:20:13 PM »
Yesterday, on Ripley's Believe It Or Not!, they showed this one guy who wheelied on his bike from Cali all the way to Florida. They say he could only wheelie, front or back. It wasn't non-stop, he ate and slept whenever. They say it took seventy-two days and he averaged about fifty miles a day.

Mario Party 6?!!!!! Who saw that one comin''?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 10:47:58 PM »
Wheelie or Manual?

I think you meant Manual and Nose Manual since he could go front (Nose Manual) or back (Manual).

Now, the difference between a wheelie and a Manual is tha you pedal when you wheelie, but not when you Manual.

I think I saw some of that video. He's pretty good at Manualing...

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:06:42 PM »
If anyone can get a hold of me on AIM (or once I figure out how to post movies), I'll show you some grinds I can do at the skatepark and various other things...

Can someone tell me how to post movies...?

I'll be going tomorrow... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 01:19:37 AM »
UPDATE:

DON'T FORGET! X Games X Live THIS Thursday-Sunday (Aug. 5-9)

The times will be shown for the EASTERN TIME ZONE and the times are SUBJECT TO CHANGE. NOTE: Not all the events will be on the same network.

X Games X (10, DUH!) Live Schedule:

Date: Thursday, August 5th.
Time: 9pm-12am
Network: ESPN
Events: MotoX Best Trick Finals
        Skateboard Vert Men's Finals

Date: Friday, August 6th.
Events: BMX Vert Finals
        MotoX Step-Up Finals
        Skateboard Street Men's Finals

Date: Saturday, August 7th
Time: 2pm-4pm
Meowork: ESPN
Events: Rollerblading Vert Finals
        Surfing Finals
        Wakeboard Women's Finals

Date: Saturday, August 7th (same day as above, but on different network)
Time: 4pm-6pm
Network: ABC
Events: BMX Park Finals
        Surfing Finals
        Wakeboard Men's Finals

Date: Saturday, August 7th (still the same day, but back to ESPN)
Events: MotoX Freestyle Prelims
        Skatebaord Vert Best Trick Finals

Date: Sunday, August 8th.
Time: 4pm-6pm
Events: MotoX SuperMoto Finals (racing)
        Skateboard Big Air Finals (62-80
        foot drop-in's launching off HUGE
        launch ramps clearings about 100
        foot gaps onto wedges. Pretty cool.)

Date: Sunday, August 8th (same day, same network)
Time: 7pm-9pm
Events: BMX Dirt Finals
        MotoX Freestyle Finals

As a footnote: Did anyone notice anything strange in the list.......?

My face takes up a large portion of my head.
"Watching anime... I have noticed that the Japanese have very bad [slow] reaction times."

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 07:02:36 AM »
Not very interested.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print