Print

Author Topic: What've you been reading?  (Read 30206 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
Animal Farm for School, Nintendo Power, forums, A Tale of 2 Cities, and mangas.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 04:51:31 PM »
The Bean Trees by Barbera Kingsolver for school work. This book put me to sleep faster than accompanying my mom to buy clothes. To think I still have to write a literature response to this....
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 06:37:30 PM »
Techniccally, I'm reading a book called Marley and Me. It's about "life and love with the World's Worst Dog". The cover has such a cute widdle doggy on it ^_^ and Marley does such silly things(like plays "submarine" in his water dish)!
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
I recently finished Animal Farm by George Orwell for school, and now am about 3/4 through Deception Point by Dan Brown.  Also, I just started 1984, also by George Orwell.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
I recently finished Death on the Nile, then I saw the movie. Then I read the instruction manual that came with Super Mario Advance 4. Then I read this topic.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Martini

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
Books

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »
If it's R for violence, that's different (I loved Air Force One, for example). If the profanity (or other certain things) is what makes it R, no.

You are more bothered by swearing than seeing people hurt and killed? That's beyond messed up.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
¬_¬

It's a movie, not real life; the people aren't really hurt and/or killed. The swearing, however, is real, acting or not. The swearing actually takes place.
Besides, I never said killings/injuries DIDN'T bother me, because they do. It's just not the basis of what makes a movie good or not, to me. Deaths/injuries can make good plotlines; not to mention is necessary to the stories that contain it. Swearing is not. I've never seen a movie where the swearing was vital to the story.

Now, if something is overly violent and full of gore...of course it disturbs me. I don't like it when killing someone is actually shown; if it's implied, like, the camera doesn't actually show it, it's far less disturbing.

PG-13 (closer to the PG end rather than the R end) tends to be my ideal movie rating.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 05:11:58 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
The swearing takes place as much as the killing does. The killing is simulated and appears real, but is not. The swears appear real, but are actually just lines written in the script. The actors themselves are not swearing, the characters are. Just like the actors aren't killing anyone, the characters are. It's the same thing. It looks and sounds just the same, but it's all fake. There's no difference.

Furthermore, swearing can be just as essential to movie quality or realism as violence. Would you really believe in a mobster, crude villain, or "normal" stressed-out adult or high schooler not swearing in certain circumstances?

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »
I'm now re-reading Tokyo MewMew. ^_^

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 01:27:51 PM »
Yea. Saph, you and I could never get along in person, ever.

I have tempered my mind to the point where most profane words cone out as readily, and guiltlessly, as any other words in the English langauge. The way I see it, the world is so messed up, in so many ways, that there's really no other words that can accurately describe my feelings about them than those that are not profane. Yes, so it may seem hollow, or immature, but to my mind, a profane word is little more than an expression of a rather strong feeling. On internet forums, if swearing is frowned upon, I won't do it. However... let's just say that there'd be about 3 or 4 explitives in the preceeding paragraph if I read it aloud.

That said, explitives that berate people based on physical characteristics (race, gender, etc.) do NOT come out of my mouth, at all. Ever. Those actually do offend me. That said, there's generally more than enough of the "other" explitives in my speech.

As for movies where swearing is vital, I'd say that a documentary on someone with Tourette's syndrome (if it existed) may fit that quality. Any movie that attempts an accurate portrayal of, say, the street life, or any other underground activity would not be accurate at all without profane dialouge.

Violence? For me, the line between what's entertaining and what's disturbing is so incredibly obscured that I can't quantitate it. At all. In general, unnecessary violence is more likely to disturb me than that which is essential to the plotline. A movie that's basically a slasher-fest does not interest me at all, not because the violence offends me, but because the plot is usually terrible and uninteresting to me.

I have no ideal rating. There's G movies that exist that I find amusing. Likewise, there's R rated movies (Maybe even NC-17? Haven't seen any of those, though) that I find entertaining.

Oh. Right. Reading. The Theory of Interest, by Stephen Kellison. Actuary stuff. You know.
~I.S.~

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
I agree with everything LD and IS said concerning movies. Insane Steve's little ditty on swearing is also good, though any words can get tiresome if repeated too much, not just the terms that people deem "offensive".

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »
I've read the following series:

Inheritence (Eragon, Eldest, and when the third one comes out, I'll read that one)
Harry Potter (or all there is to that series)
Halo
Ender's Game Series (Ender's Game, Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind)
now I'm currently reading the Lord of the Rings (including the Hobbit)
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 09:23:57 PM »
Halo? Is this a book series based on the video game?
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Print