Wiping on the Shirt/Pants
6 (18.8%)
Shaking your hands dry
5 (15.6%)
Drying Towel
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Print

Author Topic: Drying Your Hands  (Read 14161 times)

« on: May 15, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »
This all started in "A Poll For Men Only?". It isn't an arguement, it's just that people have different opinions.

I prefer the towels just because I know they get my hands dry. The only thing I don't like is that you have to use a little effort to get the darn towels.

I meant to put "Started 'from' a Different Topic", my bad.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 02:33:53 PM by Sapphira »

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
I wipe my hands on my shirt; saving trees and getting my hands completely dry in the process.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
Like I said before, I love the air-dryers. ;)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:11:16 PM »
Paper towels.

One of the problems I have with a bathroom that ONLY uses air dryers is -- let's say all the stalls are occupied and you need to blow your nose. What do you do? This has happened to me many times -- once it was so bad I almost blew my nose on the air dryer itself to prove a point. That bad.
~I.S.~

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »
Air dryers suck unless it's automatic. Think how dirty that button must be. I mean, if people are contemplating blowing their noses on the dryers, think of how many people HAVE. I went with paper towels.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 11:50:30 PM »
I like air dryers. If there's a button, I push it with my elbow.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 02:28:20 AM »
I hate the air-dryers. They're such a time-consuming way to dry one's hands; I have no patience for them. If there are no paper towels, I'll dry my hands on my pants before using the air-dryer.

Haha, that's awesome, Steve. XD
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »
I don't wash my hands when I go to the bathroom unless my hands are incredibly dirty.

What?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »
Ah, the classic I-don't-pee-on-my-hands defense.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 10:50:02 AM »
I hate air-dryers so I use paper towels whenever possible. Some places have this self-cleaning towel thingy. It's weird but just as fine as paper towels.
You just wasted previous seconds of your life if you read this signature which doesn't really contain anything interesting.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »
I like the paper towels most. Though, since there are only automatic dryers in the bathrooms at the school I go to, I usually do this:

Put my hands under the dryer
Wave them under the air for a bit
Take off my ring, and put it under the dryer for a bit (My ring starts to slide off my finger when it is wet)
Put the ring back on, and shake the rest of the water off as I leave the bathroom
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »
Sorry, but I edited the topic name so people would know what the topic's about before clicking. I did that because people still keep posting in the "Poll for men only?" thread talking about the same thing this topic's about. Now maybe they'll notice this thread and bring the discussion to over here.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 02:55:38 PM »
I actuallay dry my hands with the air-drier first, (if there is one,) then wipe it with the towel. I've never been to a place that has only air-driers.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
It doesn't really matter when it comes to me. I'll use whatever I see first.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 09:19:59 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I hate using public bathrooms and only use them on long trips (and still not always), and when I know the bathroom will be clean, like in a fancy restaurant.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »
I avoid public restrooms. When I do use one, I prefer paper towels. It's quicker and it dries thoroughly.
Also, Paper towels can be used for cleaning up something spilled on your shirt.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »
Sorry, but I edited the topic name so people would know what the topic's about before clicking. I did that because people still keep posting in the "Poll for men only?" thread talking about the same thing this topic's about. Now maybe they'll notice this thread and bring the discussion to over here.

Hey that's fine...I couldn't think of a real good name anyways.

I don't wash my hands when I go to the bathroom unless my hands are incredibly dirty.

That's gross. You still flush the toilet don't you...I hope. :$

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 12:04:14 AM »
Remember that Mr. Bean where he dries his crotch with the air blower?

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 01:14:59 AM »
Not being wasteful is very important to me.  I don't understand how any intelligent creature, having given thought to the world, could casually contribute to one of its ongoing problems.

Ah, I know:  They wouldn't.  I'm talking about paper towels, here--but it's more than just that.  It's an imbalance in how much the world consumes.  I'll cut a lot of you slack, since you're still young.  I was the same before developing a mind separate from my environment.  Still, you should think about these things.  Mr. Wiggles, with his unwashed, poop-stained hands, is probably better off than the lot of you.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 01:58:48 AM »
Oh please, it probably wastes more energy and resources producing, powering, and using, and repairing those air-dyers than it does to produce paper towels.

No, we shouldn't be wasteful with anything, and yeah, we should take care of the environment, but to the extent of paranoia and obsession with it that it takes away from the quality of human life? That's just...no.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 02:46:27 AM »
Two points:

• Nowhere did I suggest using an air dryer.
  • You use the term "quality of life" in reference to, I presume, having wet hands for a minute or two.  That is absurd.

When confronted with a truth that is too harsh to bear, people will activate coping mechanisms.  Here is the truth at hand:  There are 6.5 billion people in this world, and if each one of them dries their hands with paper towels, we are screwed.  In other words, it adds up.  To put it in the context of our situation, that means that every little bit actually counts, and you can make a difference.

... But you don't want to.  You want dry, happy hands.  And that's where the conflict lies.  Your little paper towel can't possibly change the world, right?

Wrong question.  The truth is, it's not about changing the world; it's about changing yourself.  It's about confronting that conflict and making the right choice--being at peace with the truth and, therefore, yourself.  It all comes down to a perfectly clean conscious versus pefectly dry hands.  You can't have them both.

... unless you dry them on the sides of your pants, I guess.  You can even shake them before and after.  'Gets them nice and soft, you know.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 02:48:33 AM by DeadAwake »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
Oh dear gosh... I think I'm going to be sick.

• You use the term "quality of life" in reference to, I presume, having wet hands for a minute or two.  That is absurd.
You were speaking in broad, general terms. So was I.

If people want to dry their hands on paper towels, fine. If they want to use the air-dryer, fine. That's why there should be both. Options are good; let people choose them. There's nothing immoral about using either, so when people give others beef about one or the other, it really annoys me. (I realize this may or may not sound hyprocritical coming from me, but I've been changing my attitudes and perspectives on things in general, trying to break that.)

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 02:44:38 PM »
Well here we go again...

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »
This arguement is (no offense ) funny and I go with the Air Dryers because It gets my hands nice and warm, cuz my hands are usually very cold. lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 03:27:28 PM by neotev »
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 03:38:19 PM »
Oh dear gosh... I think I'm going to be sick.
You were speaking in broad, general terms. So was I.
Understood.  However, by waiving relevance to the particulars at hand, you raise the question:  Why, then, continue to stand by a detrimental act that does not significantly alter the quality of life?

If people want to dry their hands on paper towels, fine.
You cannot rationally say so in light of what I've explained.  Debate is much more productive when you respond to the other side, you know...

It's a simple, petty, and small decision--but it's cut by the sharpest of knives.  Don't you see?  It's the knife that matters.  This debate occured because I'm concerned that your knife can't even cut butter.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 05:19:57 PM »
Wow. That was a couple of beautiful posts, DeadAwake.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
I'M SORRY!!! I didn't know it would be this bad!
Let's rewind...sdkjhasdghaogha;opghasd;l

I prefer paper towels because I think they dry better.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »
Aaah. I love it when this happens. See, in TMK's Fungi Forums, you can have an intelligent discussion about anything!!  Even something as simple as drying your hands. Hahaha.
I'm no environmentalist, but I see your point, DeadAwake. But I still prefer paper towels.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »
Paper towels have the small advantage that you can blow your nose into them, if neccessary. But I still prefer air dryers.

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 10:33:14 AM »
This may sound gross, but I use toilet paper to blow my nose in...it's a lot softer.

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 11:35:10 AM »
It's not gross unless it's used toilet paper.

TEM

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »
At my school about 70% of the classrooms have a roll of TP instead of a box of tissues. Nothing odd about using it to blow your nose.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:07 PM »
Air drying my hands makes them chap up, flapping your hands around gets water all over the place, wiping your hands on your clothes makes them wet, and drying your hands with a paper towel fills up landfills, so I prefer to use a drying towel that can be used over and over and over again!
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 08:39:59 PM »
All I can say is: PUSH BUTTON, RECEIVE BACON.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006, 09:47:30 PM »
Maybe you can get a patent for that machine.\

New option up...there you go fuzzy.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2006, 08:22:52 PM »
No wiping of the pants? *looks down at wet pants*
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »
Thank you for whoever changed it. *saves effort for another topic*

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »
Oh, I went on vacation for a couple days, and in one of the bathrooms at the theme park I visted, there was an air-dryer called the XLERATOR. I mean, I HAD to try it out, because it seemed so XTREEEEEEME. And I did. The air came out of this thing about 4x faster than a standard issue air dryer... and it actually dryed my hands. No, seriously. First air dryer ever that's actually done what it was supposed to.
~I.S.~

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »
I just thought of something today while in a public restroom. Where there are towels, there usually isn't a hand drier. When there is a hand drier, there usually are not paper towels. I'll use whatever there is.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

TEM

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »
Oh, I went on vacation for a couple days, and in one of the bathrooms at the theme park I visted, there was an air-dryer called the XLERATOR. I mean, I HAD to try it out, because it seemed so XTREEEEEEME. And I did. The air came out of this thing about 4x faster than a standard issue air dryer... and it actually dryed my hands. No, seriously. First air dryer ever that's actually done what it was supposed to.

You didn't take a picture? If almost anyone else had said this I wouldn't believe them.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »
I'd believe them because, really, who could make up something like XLERATOR?

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 06:47:02 AM »
Shaking is fun. ^_^
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
XLERATOR
Excel Dryer

Naming conventions aside, they actually are great. We have them all over campus. Paper towels and button pressing are things of the past.

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 02:25:20 PM »
It sounds like the XLERATOR is the way of the future. I hope they come here soon!

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 03:23:26 PM »
I sound like the way of the future!

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 03:24:53 PM »
......yay!
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 08:43:47 PM »
That thing is FLIPPIN SWEET! It can change the world!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
At the mall here, one bathroom has a really good air dryer where it blows your skin so hard you can see your bones, and it actually does get your hands dry, and in a reasonable amount of time. And instead of doors, it has a hallway with a corner, so there's no handle to touch, and you can actually come out of the bathroom knowing your hands are clean. That is definitely the ideal.

However, most air dryers suck and end up making you need to wipe your hands on your pants, which is unsanitary. Most bathrooms also have doors, usually opening into the bathroom, meaning you must grasp the handle to leave. Some even have two doors in a row, as a sort of airlock. Without paper towels, you must directly touch the handle, and the handle is small enough that you will be touching it in exactly the same place as everyone else, and half of grown-ass adults don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. So I guess, for pragmatic reasons, I must pick paper towels. Because when there are paper towels, you can use them to open the door without making direct contact with the handle. But a really good air dryer in a doorless bathroom is definitely better (though there should still be paper towels for if you need to clean something or something).

(also, toilets and sinks should be able to be operated by foot pedals)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
5 Years Later Update:

Happily, I finally found an XLERATOR. It was this summer in a Mexican restaurant near Denver. I thought about this thread while using it.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 11:10:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure the really good one at my mall is one of those, now that I think of it. I'll have to check next time I'm there.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:37 AM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

A

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »
*insert Spaceballs reference here*
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
I came on here and looked at this and was like seriously there still talking about this after 5 years. Lets see Im 22 now that would make me 17 then holy crap! Sorry nothing to do with topic but it was just really weird
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »

Yep.

A

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »
Just wipe off on your pants, geez. It's not like you're not gonna touch your pants later anyway or anything like that.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

Print