Print

Author Topic: Dealing with death...  (Read 4784 times)

« on: May 18, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »
The reason I am starting this topic is because my grandmother died about a month ago.  I have never in my life been to a funeral before then, or even a wake.  I didn't really understand what death was, it never really ever effected me, no-one close to me has ever died.  So back then, death to me was like some super natural world.  I didn't understand what it was like to lose someone.  Let me tell you what it was like on this first experience.  I was at my house, by myself, my mother and father were attending to my grandmother in the hospital.  Rewind, that same morning I felt overcome with sadness knowing that my grandmother was not well, I didn't feel like doing anything.  I took no joy or pride in anything.  I didn't want to go anywhere, whereas I had to go to a party with my other family members, after awhile I had cheered up, but I still knew that my grandmother was in critical condition.  Forward to when I am by myself, I go on doing what makes me happy.  If I remember correctly I was watching a public documentary on TV, about the goods of cannabis and why it remains illegal, something about like it had 300-400 byproducts.  Then forward to 10:00 p.m.  My parents come home with their weary faces, I had no idea what had happened, then they tell me that my grandmother had died.  I didn't cry, I didn't say anything, I just whent to bed and felt like something really hard hit me in the chest while going a million miles per hour.  But then I felt like, I have cried enough when she was suffering from alzheimers, she wouldn't want me to suffer anymore.  And even though I had a minimal amount of time to know her, the time she would be gone is only a fraction of the time I would be able to spend with her in euphoria, atleast what I think.  But I still can't help but miss her, at first, you think it was just a dream, like your going to wake up, and none of the crap that has happened over the years was true, and I'm still in like 7th grade (when she first started the alzheimers) ad she is still there to talk to.  But then you go through the phase where the facts hit you, like, she is in the ground, in a wooden case, and wearing away.  And I can't help but feeling all this is my fault, like, when I was younger, I really never took the time to spend with her, when I went there with my dad, he would talk to her, and I would go into the other room and watch TV.  Like I never took the initiative to get to know her.  But I tell you, the time I did spend with her, are always going to be in my heart, I always felt like she was the best person in the world and she didn't do anything to deserve any of what she got.  No, she didn't.  And I just sat in front of the TV and let all that precius time waist away.  And now I have to admit that I think of her all the time, and regret ever doing that.  And if I could I would change it, and maybe she wouldn't get alzheimers.  The reason I made this is to talk about your first experience with the death of a loved one, and how you have or havent overcome it.  And take my advice when I say, you don't know what you have until it is gone, and this was the only way I could truly understand those words.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »

I've never lost anything that close to me. I'm sorry. Really, I am...........
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
*moment of silence*

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 07:42:06 PM »
I'm right there with you. The closest person I've ever lost was a cousin. But hey, I know what you're feeling.

The best to you.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »
When my grandfather died, I was happy. We were able to celebrate his life,a nd not be upset over his death. It was really awesome looking back on his life and realizing how blessed we were to have him for as long as we did. If you look on the sunny side, good things will happen!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
I've lost my grandmother before, so I know what you're going through. You know before she got blood cancer I'd never really worried about her that much, I know I should have known that she was old, a smoker and not in good health, but I still thought death was nothing more then a bad dream. Guess I was wrong.

Two years after she died my dog went and passed away, though she was only a dog I felt even worse then I did when my granny died. I really had a bond with that dog, whenever we went to my grandmother's cabin (the one that's alive not the one that died) me,her, my brother and my sister would all go swimming in the lake till dark. I didn't cry in the morning when I first heard she died, I just tried to keep strong, but by yhe end of the day I couldn't hold it in any longer and I cried all night.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »
My grandfather died fo a heart attack about 3 years ago and I was very close to him, he was like a father to me, but I had no regrets when he died, and I was only 10. I took it the best in my family though. My best advice to you is not to hate yourself for not getting close to her. Just remeber that she will always be with you, watching over you and living in your heart. My dad argued with my grandfather the last time they met and has always hated himself for that. His life turned down after that and now he is addicted to drugs and only one of his kids really like him (my sis, my brother and I love him and don't hold a grudge against him but he is shameful)
Just remember that time will heal the pain, and soon you will be able to look back like koopaslaya and celebrate her life.
One last thing, since she had a horrible disease like altzimers, she is in a better place and she isn't suffering any longer.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »
2006 seems to be a very unlucky year for me, as three deaths occured in the past three months:

• My 7th grade art teacher (Collapsed while teaching a class, announced dead later at a hospital)
• My cat, Keri (Seizure)
• My great aunt Paula (Old, heart attack)

My parents are considering taking us out of our classes on Tuesday to go to my great aunt's burial. I don't have much to say about her, mainly because the most I've ever said to her was greetings at parties and such.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 09:39:19 PM »
Dang, your art teacher, huh? Was she young, because most of my art teachers have been young or at least not all that old.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »
My grandfather died at 69 due to kidney failure.  I felt really bad because he was still a very young person, but it was kind of fun to have the family together for the funeral.  I was only 7 when he died so I wasn't that sad.  All of my other grandparents are really old so I don't think them dieing will be to bad, but it will still be very sad for a little while.  My uncle died before I was born so I never got a chance to meet him, but I wish he was alive.  He died in a motorcycle accident.  Maybe if he had beem wearing a hemlet he could have survived. 
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
Dang, your art teacher, huh? Was she young, because most of my art teachers have been young or at least not all that old.

Was she young? No.
Was HE young? Yeah, didn't even make it to 30.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:46:12 PM »
D'oh! Sorry, all of the art teachers I've knon have been girls. *slaps self in head....again*

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »
I don't think there should be a topic about this, I mean it brings bad memories to people. Oh and by the way, I'm sorry for the loss of your loved ones. espeshaly you, guy with the name that starts with v, I feel really bad for the loss of your art teacher.(I'm really into art). Besides I bet there all at a better place now, mabye somewhere where the pool water is at the perfect tempature, and the food is real good and guys like me are serving drinks. Well you know what i'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:25:16 PM by SushieBoy »
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
It may bring back bad memories, but probably even more better ones.  It is something almost anyone can relate to.
I only watch [adult swim]

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
Note: I had A feeling that this passage may REALLY OFFEND certain people. If you really want to read it, highlight it, then copy and paste it on a text document.

Well hello reality...

Well, All I can say is "it was going to happen eventaullay." I remember when I was young when I went to church. There was this really old lady that I barely knew, who would always give me a hug whenever I got there. She was very nice. I wasn't related to her or anything, she just hugged me as soon as I got there. I always thought in my head, "um... whatever" and then I went to Church. Then She died. It didn't seem to important to me when I heard about it because I didn't know her name. I came to the funeral, went up to the altar and saw her. That one person who always hugged me everyday. Just laying there cringed up with her eyes closed. Thats when I learned death. I ran away to the bathroom crying thorugh the whole funeral, with my parents trying to comfort me. Unfortunatly, It didn't work. I spent the whole week mouring over it. It amazing what a hug can mean.

Now I'm going crazy over these "human extinction theroys", "Another possible Ice Age" and "World War III". You think you have it bad? just wait till your PARENTS die.

Print