Print

Author Topic: Looks like I won't be buying Yoshi's Island 2...  (Read 20085 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »
Yoshi's Story was good.
That was a joke.

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2006, 01:04:25 AM »
I liked Yoshi's Story. What was wrong with it?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2006, 10:02:21 AM »
I like liked Yoshi's Story myself. Particularly because it was one of the games my grandmother loves.

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »
I loved Playing Yoshi's Story on the Nintendo N64 but his baby squeaky voice got annoying after a while. I wish that Yoshi would have a gruff gangster voice similar to Nick Collins on the Getaway. Also Nintendo should employ actor Ricky Hards for Bowser's voice on the Mario games and have the gruff accent like the one he did for Charlie Jolson in the Getaway 1 on the PS2.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2006, 01:39:11 PM »
Yoshi's Story would have been an amazing game if it just had BETTER LEVEL DESIGN. The concept behind it was fun, and the graphics were amazingly good, but I felt that the levels themselves left a lot to be desired. There were really only a few good stages in Yoshi's Story (I liked 2-4, 3-4, 4-1, and one of the world 6 levels, but I forgot which). I know that you could go for melons if you want a challenge, but a lot of the "extra challenges" to get the 30 melon clears just weren't fun; that is, opposed to the extra challenges to score 100 points on a level of YI.

I think the problem with YS was that too many levels were unimaginative, and when that's combined with the "easy" way to pass stages, the game just lost all its replay value. That is, compared to a game like YI. Which was often the game it was compared to in reviews and the like.
~I.S.~

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2006, 02:49:30 PM »
Well, it WAS intended for a much younger audience.....

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »
Well, it WAS intended for a much younger audience.....

I don't recall ever hearing that. I thought Miyamoto wanted to conitnue the chnage in style introduced in YI. YS was originally named Yoshi's Island 64.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2006, 10:21:24 PM »
The things that bothered me most about Yoshi's Story were that you basically have to memorize the levels if you want to get the 30 melons in them (an uneven problem, though; some levels suffer this to an extreme), and that, all too often, making one mistake in the "30 melons" procedure meant resetting the game and starting the stage over.  Not fun.
Go Moon!

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2006, 11:57:38 PM »
My problems with Yoshi's Story:

The levels were boring and you only could go through a couple of them per play-through.  I had more fun looking at the pop-books between levels.  Also, replacing the classic Yoshi sounds with what sounded like the voices of children was mildly lame.  Having the levels made out of cardboard, denim, etc. wasn't as visually appealing as drawn by crayons, markers, etc.  The story was not as cool as YI's, and even though Baby Mario's crying sucked, the frantic race to nab him again was a vital part of YI's game mechanics.  Yoshi's Story was just a huge letdown.  Not terrible, but not nearly as good as I had expected, considering the original. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2006, 12:32:08 AM »
replacing the classic Yoshi sounds with what sounded like the voices of children was mildly lame.

Okay, now, this is what I don't agree with. The sound that was made whenever Mario jumped on Yoshi was definitely NOT coming from Yoshi's mouth. It was the sound of Mario landing on Yoshi's saddle. The Super Mario World cartoon shows this very well. For some odd reason, though, Nintendo was like "let's make it his voice" and gave him that as well as other odd sounding noises.

Giving him the voice in Yoshi's Story was a much better idea, IMO. Then, for some reason for awhile, they switched it around in a few games, either giving him those stupid saddle jumping sounds as a voice, or the cool "Yoshi!" voice used in Yoshi's Story. Super Smash Bros. featured him with the latter, while the first few games of the Mario Party series used the former.

NBCGod

• Banned
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:49 AM »
I never played Yoshi's Island.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2006, 10:14:58 AM »
You poor, unfortunate soul.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »
So there IS a Baby Wario! And it looks like his ability is to attract coins with a magnet. It also looks like Baby Bowser isn't the main villain, either.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2006, 11:45:14 AM »
Wi-Fi?  I didn't recall that.  What'll Wi-Fi be used for?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print