Print

Author Topic: Spin-offs ruining the franchise?  (Read 21216 times)

« on: March 27, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
As in, melting Mario into a lifeless sellout thingy?

I mean, how many more sports do Mario and the gang have left to play?!?

They'd really need more canonical adventure games.

What about Sarasaland?
Is Waluigi a true character already?
Will we see Isle Delfino again?
Is DK's universe now completely tied into Mario's?

Stuff like that.

Also, ever notice how one-timers sometimes appear again, but only in the form of spin-offery? Daisy, Piantas, Bowser Jr., etc...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »
"Ruining" seems like an exaggeration to me.

Every developer wants a piece of him, and the big N is OK with it since it grabs them a quick buck and allows them time to create the next big Mario game.

Besides, if you got a regular Mario game every three months, you'd probably find something else to complain about, like them not being refined due to being crapped out so quickly.

Most of the spin-offs play pretty well, anyway. Some could do with a bit of work (Mario Superstar Baseball) while others need to either die or get a complete overhaul (Mario Party), but otherwise, are they really that bad as games?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
Yeah, "ruin" isn't exactly the word here. But it seems these things are, like, overshadowing them.

It seems Mario Party 8 is actually going somewhere with it, with its Wii-Remote functionality. But as for it being "too similar all the time", that's just the way Mario Party is usually played. Same rules, so where would it be if they changed too drastically?

Besides, if you've never played a real board game before and take it out on Mario Party, shame shame shame on you. :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:14:03 PM by BooDestroyer »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
They could stand to fix the drab board game mechanics and introduce more drastic mini-game types. Not to mention every new idea they have isn't really used to it's full potential.

Examples:

-Mini/ Mega Mushrooms from MP4
-Super Duel Mode from MP5
-Day and Night system from MP6
-8-player Mini-games from MP7

Plus many more.

My idea to revamp the series came in the form of Mario Party DS, which utilized Wi-Fi. It would have a numbered card system a la Sonic Shuffle (which I know was an abomination, but that had many flaws that MP doesn't have) in place of the dice, which could work well for the touch screen, and have 8 players on the map at once. Multiplayer would alloe Wi-Fi capabilities for this. The Mini-games would be touch-based and come in both 4-player and 8-player varieties. There's also be a system where one set of 4-players moves around the board while the other set plays a mini-game, in order to accommodate 8 players as well as save time. I'm also thinking they should release one game that acts as a remake of the first three, with all the boards and all the mini-games. Those were the best in the whole series.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:54 PM »
Not in the least--even if you ignore the spin-offs (I mostly do) we still have a decent series. Mario Kart is necessary though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »
Ugh. I am so sick of people saying crap like "spin-off's are messing up the Mario franchise."

If you haven't noticed, the Mario spin-off titles actually HELP Mario when it comes to money. And send me to the eternal realm of blasphemy for saying this, but many of the spin-off's are fun to play. Mario Kart, Tennis, Party, Strikers......my God, the list goes on. Not only do the spin-off's present multiplayer to the series, they let everyone play as somebody else other than Mario.

I swear, if I see another one of these, I'll explode.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:44:52 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »
Well, he's got a big point; the Mario franchise in becoming watered-down. At this point, I don't think just a new Mario platformer would work; we'd need a Mario game that literally creates a new genre.

Oh no, I think I just started a flame war.
every

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
No you didn't. We can talk about things without bashing each other, right?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »
Glorb is sort of right. We need something that'll change the face of Mario forever. SMG is sort of like that, but it seems to use things from the past as a crutch. I'd like a Mario game with a bit more substance. Like a decent story and characterization, along the lines of Paper Mario, but a bit more serious, and not set in a side series. It should have mature themes, as well.

Keep in mind that when I say "mature themes", I don't mean violence and sex and junk. I mean a story that actually relies on an adult level of understanding. The universe that Mario resides has huge amounts of potential for many things. I'd like to see that potential tapped into. Who says a great platformer can't have more than just revolutionary gameplay?

For those who have trouble figuring out where I'm coming from, I suggest you have a look at the Oddworld series. Those are a fine example of a game thats revolutionary in terms of both gameplay and arts.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
Glorb is sort of right. We need something that'll change the face of Mario forever.
Plastic surgery?!
SMG is looking pretty good. I hope a crappy plot won't ruin it.
"Mama Peach? I'm your mama...?" [Peach thinks long and hard as Bowser's name is not and has not been mentioned once.] "So you're Bowser's son?"
Yeah, SMSu had a really Dukary script. Yet it had Yoshi... who didn't come in green unless you starved him... and turned to mush in water.
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
I think the Mario games should stick with the goofy, self-parodying style of Paper Mario; I think a Mario game with a genuinely serious tone would be crapola. Now, by goofy, self-parodying, I don't mean it shouldn't have a good story. I just think that humor plays an important role in the plots. Of course, the humor shouldn't rely solely on lame in-jokey jokes, either.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
I guess it could have a serious plot while at the same time retaining the comical moments. I mean, Paper Mario 2 had a pretty dark atmosphere with tons of humor. I'd like that style to be used a bit more often, and maybe gear the plot and humor towards a slightly more mature audience.Sorta like how the new TMNT movie is geared towards the adults that grew up with the old series as a kid.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
The Thousand-Year Door had just about the best plot in a Mario game ever. Serious as it was, 'twas still awesome. There's no possible way for a Mario game to be 100% serious, though. It's gonna have comic relief, inevitably.
One thing I've been thinking over... the only games that really feature THE Yoshi, that one, green Yoshi, are the spin-offs... that is, when it's sure that it's him. SMRPG and SM64DS are two exceptions. All other times, though, it's like, "You're a green Yoshi, but you're no different from the rest of the Yoshis in the game, so we can't really be sure." Which I find lame. Toad is in the same position, though I suppose there were really seven of THE Toads to begin with. All I'm trying to say here is, there should be a game in which Yoshi and Toad are distinguished from the rest of the Yoshis and Toads.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
Paper Mario 2 did have an awesome plot. It's what kept me playing 'till the end.

SMS had a terrible plot, BTW. It was just.....ugh. Peach was just about as worthless as ever (I mean, if she can't figure out if Bowser Jr. is her kid or not, then Mario's got trouble if they ever get together). Bowser wanted to destroy Mario by.........um, destroying his vacation (go figure). Ugh, Fludd is just about the only thing that made SMS enjoyable.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bowser's plot was to put Mario in prison, allowing him to swipe Peach without trouble.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
But the wish-granting deal gets old too. That element seems to be getting less popular in recent Mario games, thankfully, but come on... when did Bowser Jr.'s wishes really even come true in SMSu? Wouldn't he just wish Mario was dead using the brush?
FLUDD was a neat-o character. Too bad his game was festooned with poor scripts and plot holes. It would have been cool if, like, Bowser and his son had the same scheme, but E. Gadd and Luigi had come with Mario as well (as NPCs, you can't ever get enough). When they realize a Mario double was defacing the island, Gadd quickly builds FLUDD and Mario gets to work. When Peach is kidnapped, Bowser Jr. explains he was given the brush by his father and that Peach is his mother (after which she promptly protests with things like, "Um, no I'm not,"). A bit of patching can clean up so much.
Peach needs to be more like Zelda. That only seems to be in the RPGs though. Now I think of it, she's "useful" in EVERY Mario RPG. She's bashing things with frying pans, sneaking around castles, setting up traps for evil witches, sneaking around secret bases, and sealing alien princesses in stars.
Long post with Mario RPG spoilers. Sorry.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
What I don't understand is that Luigi is left out of nearly every major Mario game (besides Mansion, which was of course a Luigi game). He's in most of the RPG's and the spin-off's, but he's left out of the platformers.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »
To me, as long as they consistantly release platformers, adventures, and RPGs, it's okay to have karts/sports/parties too, so long as they don't replace the "main" aspects of the series.

Also, Luigi left out of the platformers?

Just recently, he was in Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros., and it's being heavily implied he has a playable role of some kind in Super Paper Mario as well.
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
Sure, he was in the DS games, but when is he going to get a huge role on the console platformers (besides Mansion)?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »
Luigi does good as a vehicle for a sub-series within the series. I think he'd be good as the star of a point-and-click adventure or something of that nature.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
I think some spinoffs are ruining the series. Mario, Luigi, and Peach appearing in those SSX and NBA games along side people that have never been to the Mushroom Kingdom, that's completely messing up the original story.

Mario and Luigi followed a scream for help they heard (according to Mario Bros) , and followed the pipes all the way to the Mushroom Kingdom (events of SMB play out). After rescuing the Princess, they agree to stay with her and help her and the Kingdom out until they can find a way to get back home to Brooklyn (events of SMB2, 3, World).

I think that after saving her in SMW, they realise there is little/no hope of them getting back home, so they ask the Princess to help find a place for them to live (thus where their house came from in SMRPG), and after getting all moved in, they decide to show the people of the Kingdom what the Bros do for fun in the real world, and thus the spinoffs start happening.

What I want to know is if a search party has been sent out to find the Bros? They disappeared on the job, didn't they? Wouldn't their former employer wonder what happened to them?.. and Pauline, Mario's first girlfriend. If she was originally in Brooklyn, how is it she can come back for games like Mario vs DK?

Speaking of DK, how is it he keeps appearing in Mario games? He was supposed to be locked up in a cage in the Brooklyn zoo, wasn't he??

I realise that most of this probably belongs in the Mariology thread, but I've often thought about things like this.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
I think some spinoffs are ruining the series. Mario, Luigi, and Peach appearing in those SSX and NBA games along side people that have never been to the Mushroom Kingdom, that's completely messing up the original story.
Those have absolutely no chance of being considered canon. In those games, they were just characters making an appearance.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
I'm assuming Toad hasn't played the DKC series, then.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »
I'm assuming Toad hasn't played the DKC series, then.

I have. Great games and all, but I still don't understand how the DK character is appearing outside of Brooklyn. I understand Cranky Kong is the original DK, and the one with the tie is the origianl DKjr, but how did these characters come to be in the video game world? How did they come to live on an island with a giant monkey head on the rock face?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 06:26:49 PM »
and the one with the tie is the origianl DKjr

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
Continuity in Mario games, looooooolllllllllolpppppllllllllllpppppp;;;;;;;;;;;lokll==--------00000000000000000ooiiiilllllllllllllllol
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
Oh, if only that goose hadn't stolen that copy of The Complete and Entirely Accurate History of the Important Game "DONKEY KONG."

(click here if you don't remember it)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:58 PM »

What? He is the original DKjr, isn't he? I believe the DKC instuction manual told us that, as did the Player's Guide.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »
Ding-dang it, they're just games. None of them are considered canon, in my opinion.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
I've completely given up thinking about the "canon" of most games-- it's just too much thinking for little reason.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
Ding-dang it, they're just games. None of them are considered canon, in my opinion.
Just the spin-offs or the main games?

I've completely given up thinking about the "canon" of most games-- it's just too much thinking for little reason.
* MaxVance fires Suffix out of a canon

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Every game, Max. They're just games. Miyamoto and whoever is in charge of the spin-off's did not have "canon" in mind when they made the games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »

Didn't Leigh Loveday of Rare confirm that that was their intention from the beginning, yet they weren't sure if Nintendo was OK with it, resulting in it not being shown in-game until DK64?

Oh, and Toad, I'd say Donkey Kong 1994 on Game Boy should give you bit of an idea on the Arcade/DKC connection. It shows DK Classic(Cranky)'s homeland at the end, at there is no Brooklyn in the beginning, unless the original construction stages before Big City are supposed to be Brooklyn.

Actually, the whole Brooklyn thing was just used by NOA in the franchise's early days for thing like the Super Show. It's never been used in the games and probably shouldn't be regarded. Yoshi's Island is proof of that.

Oh, and those of you denouncing the canon lack creative effort.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »
DK94 (not 64, mind) greatly confuses me.. We have the DK with the tie (today's DK) kidnapping Pauline, and there is another DKjr (which I've always just assumed evolved into Diddy, since Diddy and DKjr have never appeared in the same game) which helps this DK out.

Is the DK in DK94 supposed to be the original DK, or the DKjr turned DK DK?

I've also always just assumed that after Yoshi's Island happened, Mr. and Mrs. Mario took the babies to the real world so that they could grow up away from the threat of Bowser and his Troopas. I have yet to play Yoshi's lsland DS to see what happens in that game..

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 08:24:28 PM »
Every game, Max. They're just games. Miyamoto and whoever is in charge of the spin-off's did not have "canon" in mind when they made the games.
There's obviously a HINT of continuity (Kamek recognizes the Mario Bros. in M&L:PiT for example, going along with YI, as well as Bowser claiming "I've failed before, but I can't mess up this time!" on numerous occasions.) But nothing to get all debaty about. I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.

Hmm.. that seems about right. The plot is all in our heads. We're just making things up as we see fit to try and make sense out of a non-sensical (sp?) game series.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
Nonsensical is a word.
Yeah... but, like it's no reason to post for hours about how this happens and where that came from. In the end, nothing is really accomplished at all. You could've spent that time playing games!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 06:48:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.

There's some continuity in the RPG's, but like you said, no prior game seems to have an effect on the games plot. That's basically what I meant, that the producers of the game didn't really care if one plot contradicted another.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
DK94 (not 64, mind) greatly confuses me.. We have the DK with the tie (today's DK) kidnapping Pauline, and there is another DKjr (which I've always just assumed evolved into Diddy, since Diddy and DKjr have never appeared in the same game) which helps this DK out.

Is the DK in DK94 supposed to be the original DK, or the DKjr turned DK DK?

I've also always just assumed that after Yoshi's Island happened, Mr. and Mrs. Mario took the babies to the real world so that they could grow up away from the threat of Bowser and his Troopas. I have yet to play Yoshi's lsland DS to see what happens in that game..

I'm almost positive that DK'94 is supposed to be an extension of the arcade game's plot. A re-telling if you will. At the end it shows Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom ingesting a Super Mushroom, then apprehending DK. This is obviously meant to show how Mario got to the Mushroom Kingdom, which might not even be located on a separate plain of existance.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »
News flash: The Mario games don't have "plots" in the traditional sense, at least not big, overarching plots. Games in the series almost never (ALMOST never) reference the events in other games.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
You sure about that? Because there are plenty of references to M&L in PM2, and stuff from previous games reappear a lot. This ain't Alex Kidd or anything.

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
*Braindar picks up a high reading*

BTW, it's true. The "canon" of Mario is apparently just as abysmal as Zelda's timeline. Sometimes, you'd know how the lobotomy patients at DKU call Banjo and Conker "officially in DK's universe" all because they both appeared in Diddy Kong Racing once. As early promotion for their games.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:54:58 PM by BooDestroyer »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
The Legend of Zelda has a very loose timeline. It's apparent the Ocarina of Time came first, and likely that Phantom Hourglass is to be looked at as the most recent (not just in release dates). OoT explains where Ganon came from and The Wind Waker shows the end of Hyrule. As PH is gonna be TWW's sequel, that makes it most recent. XP
And the rest of them fall between them. Don't ask me when, 'cause I don't know.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »
I think Masamune of Gamehiker is more insane than the DKUers with his "Triforce of Time", but you can't stop fans from being fans.

The DKU isn't as bad as most think. I post there every now and then, and I don't see anything wrong.

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
I think Masamune of Gamehiker is more insane than the DKUers with his "Triforce of Time", but you can't stop fans from being fans.

The DKU isn't as bad as most think. I post there every now and then, and I don't see anything wrong.
They're just overly militant about the future of DK, acting like there's nothing more important to them in life than that. And that it'll be the end of the world if he doesn't get awesomed up hard.

Now, what did Masamune do?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:58:28 PM by BooDestroyer »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:51 PM »
There's this article at Gamehiker about this theory he came up with for tying the games in the Zelda series together. It's clear that he put a lot of thought into it, but it seems like the most asinine thing I've ever read.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
Bird Person, Eiji Aonuma said that Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker occur in different timelines. TP happens after the end of OoT in the past, but TWW happens after the end of OoT in the future. So Wind Waker is only one possible timeline out of at least two.
That was a joke.

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »
I basically didn't understand that at all. Explain in more depth and perhaps also link to this statement.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »
The Wind Waker branches off from the ending of OoT seven years in the future, after Ganondorf has taken over Hyrule, and they have to try to repair it after that.
Twilight Princess branches off the Young Link era in OoT, in which thanks to Link they find out about Ganondorf's plans and stop him before he has a chance to take over.
Ask MB for a link because I don't remember it.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 08:10:32 AM »
Really, the only bad Mario spin-offs were the ones Nintendo didn't make (Super Mario Strikers, Mario Party Advance, Super Mario Pinball... heck, I forget some of those games even exist now and then). I think the spin-offs are OK; I mean, they make money and we have fun (most of the time). That's the whole point here, right?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Hudson made all the Mario Parties and Camelot made Mario Tennis and Golf. What are you talking about?
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »
Ah, that makes sense to me.
Anyway, to get back on topic... I've said this before but this is why you're forced to buy Mario Kart every time (That is, the reason I got each one)
Super Mario Kart: Neat-o, a Mario racing game. It sure is fun!
Mario Kart 64: NINTENDO SIXTY-FOOOUUURR!! Four players, three-dimensional tracks... Yes!
Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Awesome, portable Mario Kart!
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: Two characters per kart! My 64 controllers are dying, so this should bring multiplayer back.
Mario Kart DS: Online! New and old tracks! Portable! Multiplayer with anyone who's got a DS--no hassle of link cables! YESSS!
Except my card is busted and Wi-Fi doesn't work. :(
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »
Hudson made all the Mario Parties and Camelot made Mario Tennis and Golf. What are you talking about?
No, I meant that not all the Mario games not made Nintendo were bad, but virtually all of the ones that did end up stinkers can be lumped into that group.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
Super Mario Strikers was not bad.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
Didn't Leigh Loveday of Rare confirm that that was their intention from the beginning, yet they weren't sure if Nintendo was OK with it, resulting in it not being shown in-game until DK64?

Read this: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mailbag_040719.shtml#52  I did eventually find the Loveday post, but it didn't really say what you're saying, and in the face of the other evidence isn't really significant.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
What other evidence is there? Cranky can't seem to shut up about his days as an arcade character, obviously indicating that he and the current DK are different characters. Also remember that DK Jr. has pretty much vanished without a trace.

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
What other evidence is there? Cranky can't seem to shut up about his days as an arcade character, obviously indicating that he and the current DK are different characters. Also remember that DK Jr. has pretty much vanished without a trace.
That's just a common old people stereotype where they're preoccupied with "what life was like back in their day".

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
Yeah, except that not every old person talks about being the star of their own video game.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
I'm not entirely sure you read my post correctly.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
just take the storylines from the Original Marios... I have never heard of M&L and never played any of Paper Marios but in the original 3, Mario and Luigi are from NYC and got lost in a pipe that took them to the MK.  This is also in a book made about Mario from Nintendo Power.  At the same time the marios appeared, Peach is kidnapped with her toads... The mario brothers where first helped out by Peach before she was kidnapped and went to work for her as plumbers.  After hearing of the kidnapping they feel bad and go to her aid thus initiating SMB 1,2,3 etc.  They want to get home but are not sure.  I am assuming Pauline found the pipe eventually and came through. 

The old Kong (I think Cranky) from the DKC series is DK from the Arcade not the DK from DKC.  DK jr was DK's dad from DKC.  I am assuming that the DKs followed Mario through or that they have there own world and came to brooklyn then found there way back to MK.

I want to see Wart again though and I think Nintendo messed up to not use Characters from SMB2 again and also to get rid of the 7 bowser children from SMB3 for Bowser Jr.  They should make a new Mario game with DK and his crew in it that has Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, King K Rool, and Wart all as enemy bosses.  Have DK as a boss that when you beat him he becomes playable.  Make it 4 player with Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Toad, and DK as playable.  (make DK, Diddy, and Kirby unlockable when you beat there stages). 
Go Vols!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »
But...wasn't SMB2 a dream, or something? And I'm really tired of all these posts saying "I think Nintendo should make a game, and it'd have Mario, and the bosses would be Mario bosses, and the levels would be Mario levels".
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 03:07:43 PM »
No, it happened in Subcon, the land of dreams, which they found through a door in a cave.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2007, 03:14:16 PM »
... in a dream.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 05:55:43 PM »
...After dreaming about it.
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
I stick to three franchises: The main franchise of course, The mario Kart series, and the RPGs. pertty much everything else I ignore.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »
Please, no more Mario Parties, and no more games where Mario is obviously out of place and/or suddenly becomes "educational".

Seriously, someone should make a Mario text-adventure.

>jump on goomba
I'm sorry, but I don't recognize the word "on"
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »
Please, no more Mario Parties, and no more games where Mario is obviously out of place and/or suddenly becomes "educational".
Nah, they ought to make a Mario Party Anniversary Collection. All seven in one Wii disc.

The games themselves aren't so bad, only their rapid fire rate that's aggravating is all.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2007, 12:50:05 PM »
I'd prefer a collection of the mini-games in the first three Mario Parties, as those were the best. The boards and everything else could be brand new. Maybe they could ditch the dice and orb system in favor of something a little less luck-based. Then they could have 8-player Wi-Fi capabilities and call it Mario Party DS. That would be the party to end all parties.

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
Maybe they could ditch the dice system
...Have you ever played an actual real board game?

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »
Well, Sonic Shuffle used a card system.

Does anyone remember that?.................................no, I guess not.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
I sure do, and while Sonic Shuffle itself blew chunks, I think a card system could work easily for a DS Mario Party.

...Have you ever played an actual real board game?

Yes, but Mario Party isn't a real board game.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
Chance based board games are incredibly boring if made wrong (I know of a game which in its entirety involves pulling a card and moving the number of spaces indicated.  You have no choice whatsoever in the events of the game.)

I'd go for ditching the orb system, but the dice are fine, despite my little rant there.  (Why don't they just bring the items back?)
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
(I know of a game which in its entirety involves pulling a card and moving the number of spaces indicated.  You have no choice whatsoever in the events of the game.)

Sounds similar to Candy Land.. Was it made during that era?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
Could it be SORRY? I think SORRY is better played with hand of seven cards, as opposed to just drawing one card.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »
Candy Land would be a correct answer.  SORRY! is not because you get to make quite a few move choices.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2007, 11:15:27 PM »
Candy Land...don't get that card with the big fat green guy!

If you say Spin Offs ruin franchise, I would say yes. Mario Kart series are really fun, though.
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »
No, I don't believe spin-offs are ruining the Mario franchise. Even without the spin-offs, Mario would still be the best series ever (in my opinion). Although the RPG's MAY be spin-offs, I don't consider them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:23:20 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print