Print

Author Topic: I was thinking -- The DS would be pefect for a Doki Doki Panic sequal  (Read 6297 times)

« on: January 26, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
(I'm assuming most have heard this story, but I'll throw it in for free just so no one's lost. Doki Doki Panic was a game released for the Famicom Disc system in Japan. Nintendo edited the sprites of the main characters from being a humble family to being Mario and his friends and the game was released in the English speaking world as Super Mario Brothers 2.)

The DS would be perfect for a Doki Doki Panic sequel. The screen on the top could be the Main realm of Sub-Con while the bottom screen could be the Dream-realm equivalent of the area. This would allow you to see when enemies are in certain realms and be able to see Mushrooms and things -- but -- here's the big part: You'd have to keep traveling in and out of the dream realm and the main realm in order to find your way to the exit. Certain parts would be different in the dream realm; there would be rooms where there were only solid walls in the main realm.  Remember how big the SMB2US levels felt and how much exploring you did? Just imagine sprawling labyrinths that span two realms.

Since there would be so much emphasis on going between realms maybe you could carry so many potions on you at a time. Like, a max of 10 or something. (You know...You throw the potion, and a doorway appears.) Sometimes there would be areas where you could get an extra potion if your supply had run out but you needed more in order to finish the level.

Yeah. That just came to me a few days ago. It could still be a Mario game or go with the original cast, either way it'd be fun. It'd also be interesting if Bowser and Yoshi traveled into Subcon as playable characters.

Edit: Removed the excess k's
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:38:09 PM by Chocobo »
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
Holy cow, welcome back after one post in 2+ years of retirement!!

I agree, it would be interesting to have to focus on two worlds at the same time. Unfortunately, that kind of makes the mystery of Subcon diminish. I think a good part of the fun of SMB2/DDP was using the potions at places to figure out if there's useful anything there. Of course, there usually wasn't anything to make you gasp in astonishment.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:16:47 PM »
I do like the idea...sounds interesting.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
The only problem I see with it being directly tied to Doki Doki Panis is that the original game was sponsored by Fuji TV and those Arabian characters were owned by them. Guess the title would have to be called "New Super Mario USA" or something along those lines.

PS: Weren't you the guy who started the Word Assosiation thread?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
No, Buyt it's an awesome idea!! Man!! Even better than SPM!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »
The SMB2 levels could get rather large and sprawling. It wouldn't be a bad idea.
That was a joke.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:52:25 AM »
"Dokki" only has one k in it.  But it does sound interesting...
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
I've always thought it would have been neat for Yoshi to visit Subcon (outside of the SMB2 stage in Smash Bros Melee).

I think Bowser being playable would be stretching it a bit, though, since he's never been extremely friendly with the Mario characters (wanting to kidnap Peach, and all..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »
I removed the extra k's in the first post.

I'm also pretty certain I posted some things during the summer of '06...I was on a Mario Kart DS high at the time. As for the Chef's question: Yes, that was me. Although sometimes I think the MWA is some bizarre lifeform that needed a mortal vassal to post it into existence so I might have been under mind control or something. And hi, Chup!

Anyways, Suffix's comment was quite true, about some of the mystery disappearing; I've been thinking about that today. I think that the thing that made the dream realm so mysterious was the fact that you would get pulled out of it before you were ready to leave. So maybe even if you can use potions anywhere, anytime (If you have them) you'd still get pulled back into the regular realm after a certain span of time. It'd even be cool to crank up the mystery of the area...But uh, making stuff mysterious is hard.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:48:35 PM »
Hey, Chocobo!
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »
One cool feature would be switching each world to the other screen in gameplay, so the touch screen abilities could be used when needed to solve puzzles and stuff, and pluck veggies and enemies, with style!!

One cool way to pluck stuff would be standing right below, or on top, and tapping it once, causing the character to crouch for it, and give it a quick up-wards motion to grab it, It's cool... I'm soo smart *smiles proudly*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »
But why would you need to do that when you could just press the button?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
*frowns*

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
But why would you need to do that when you could just press the button?

Because using the Stylus is innovative.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
Yeah, but little things like that tend to become more of a gimmick than inovation
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Print