Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 129650 times)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »
That's western thinking.  Before western thought reached the middle east, people were tolerant of different religions.  A buddhist could go into a Hindu temple to pray because ultimately it was just a different practice of worship towards the same God.  Different, but not separate.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »
Buddhists don't worship the Christian god.
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
Can't we all just get a go cart? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
Everbody thinks their religion is the right one. So someone's got to be wrong.

They all are. They're based on the same thing.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
Or conversely, everybody can be right, assuming you're willing to let them.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
That too. But to be fair, that makes each of them wrong in trying to claim that they're right and the others are wrong.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »
Or rather, the people who claim their religion is right and the others are wrong.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »
Agreed.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
They all are. They're based on the same thing.
...Like I said before. I was trying to make my point by explaining how nonsensical the alternative is.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
Seriously, what a mess. This topic seems to be jumping around from "interesting and thoughtful" to "downright hateful and arogant." For every page I see that seems to be engaging in a friendly discussion, there's at least one wonderful comment. Like this one:

So Greek mythology is true because they wrote them down?

The main reason people who believe in gods are dumb retarded idiots is the act of looking at the hundreds of religions of humanity and thinking one is true and the rest false. Newsflash: yours is just as retarded as all those others. You're just too blind to see it.

Seriously, this is really rude. I don't go around calling atheists and agnostics ignorant idiots - I have an uncle who's an agnostic, and I'm friends with  him. If a Christian friend told me that they had become atheistic, I wouldn't yell in his face "YOU'RE A DUMB RETARTED IDIOT!" The main thing I get so ticked off with is that some atheists pass all religions and all their followers off as simpleminded, without any actual reason for it except "religion is stupid." If you want to personally view the idea of God as stupid, fine, but going around and dismissing all people who disagree with you as "idiots" only makes you sound like a jerk. Ever heard of Pascal? Newton? They were devout Christians, and yet without them, we wouldn't have some of the most defining mathematical and scientific principals of our time. Even Einstein, who is often called the greatest scientist ever, believed in an inteligent creator. Are you willing to call them "stupid ignorant idiots" as well?

As you can probably tell, I'm a Christian - but it seems that I differ from a lot of the other Christians on this board. I believe in a Bible that is 100% acurate, and that belief includes a literal interpretation of Genesis. Honestly, I feel that if a Christians starts to deny any part of the Bible, then they are opening a can of worms that could only lead to denying other parts - and so on, until they refuese to believe any of it. I'm not applying this to everyone - all I know is that if I did that, that would probably be the result. Still, I know that interpreting Genesis as a proverbial book doesn't even slighly deny someone's status as a Believer - what matters is whether you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your only savior. I'm perfectly willing to disagree on issues like the creation account - it's really not a whole different than disagreeing whether the "Sons of God" and "Daughters of Men" were only humans or a mixture of humans and angels. It doesn't affect whether we are saved or not.

On the issue of other religions, Christianity is very different from any other belief system. Basically all other belief systems were either made by people trying to explain the world around them, or started by people who wanted to be worshiped for some reason or another. There are exceptions - Bhudda was just a spiritual teacher who ended up being worshiped without his directive, for example - but generally all false religions fall into one of those two catergories. Christianity... not so much. The big thing to understand is that there WAS a man named Jesus who was a carpenter and taught people about God. You can not deny that he existed without also denying historical records that were made by the goverment and other sources at the time. Thus, it comes down to either that he was a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord. If he was a liar, like most other religion starters are, then he would just have denied he was God during his trial. I suppose you could argue that he was a lunatic, but Jesus's general description is not one of lunacy. He is recorded as being gentle, thoughtful, inteligent, and one who is excellent with language and parables. If he was a lunatic, then how was he able to continually outwit the religious leaders, who were considered to be the smartest people at the time? Insanity and inteligence just doesn't go hand to hand - they're basically oxymorons. A lot of people come to the conclusion that the Bible and Christianity was made up by people - but those people were recorded to have died refusing to renounce their beliefs. If it was a lie concoted by some power-seeking "teachers," then they would have not willingly have gone to the grave.

My conclusion has basically been that Christianity makes far more sense than any other belief. It's not mindlessly believing what my parents have told me - I've struggled a lot with this issue myself. But I feel that I just don't have any other choice - because in my opinion, Christianity is the most logical belief system. And seriously, logic is my life - I don't really have faith as much as logic. I actually often don't trust that God is going to provide everything that I need - which is mainly because after reading about other Christian experiences, it sometimes just doesn't seem logical for me to assume that. It's a problem, but I just have to work through it. At least it's better than not having any solid sense of morality and truth.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
My personal opinion is that, while I disagree (sometimes strongly) with what many religions say, I don't believe in insulting someone because of their religion. I'm an atheist, but I believe in morals. As such, I think that, as long as you do good and are a good person, it doesn't matter what your religion/lack thereof is. If peace in the afterlife is an incentive to be nice, then I'm totally cool with it. On the other hand, if someone uses it as an excuse for homophobia or racism or murder or genocide, well, that Ps me O.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »
I'm not sure how many times I've said this, but since we've got a resurgence going on here I'll reiterate: I do not believe in any God, period, though I do not discount the possibility, however small it may be, that there is one(s).

That being said, it is my life mission to hunt down and view Religulous.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »
Even Einstein, who is often called the greatest scientist ever, believed in an inteligent creator. Are you willing to call them "stupid ignorant idiots" as well?

Quote from: Einstein, in a letter written to philosopher Eric Gutkind in January 1954, a year before Einstein's death
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

Smart guy.

(If you look into it, Einstein was not an actual atheist. He had a "dim suspicion" of the universe's order. But he saw the Bible as the ridiculous sham it obviously is.)

Quote from: Einstein
I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »
What fun: I'm the only Muslim here.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
At least you are not the zeroth Buddhist.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print