Print

Author Topic: Time doesn't exist  (Read 53214 times)

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »
Okay.

Time is, like the Internet, not a physical piece of matter, or even an abstract force. It's the name we give to the concept that something must be propelling us through our lives. So, in that regard, I guess time as most people think of it does not exist. But it, um, does.

Egh never mind.

I agree with this. It is a name for something that we know exists, yet we don't know what to call it..

Er.. this is a hard topic to discuss.. Now, if it were about time travel...
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
Ok. This thread is now about TIME TRAVEL.

I heard that you could travel through time if you turned everything in the universe around. That's BS right?
"it's always the present"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Now we're on my turf.

Unless of course, someone goes back in time and makes it their turf. But then, since it'd be their turf by the time they send themselves back in time, they would have no reason to send themselves back to claim the turf, meaning they would not have done so, meaning it would not be their ruf, so they send themselves back in time to claim it as their turf...
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »
That is totally my ruf.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
What about anti-time?

lolz anti-time suxx0rz
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »
On second thought, forget it. Time travel is just as confusing as time.

It's kind of like in games/movies (Back to the Future and M&L:Partners in Time come to mind) where nothing changes in the present, even though the heroes have gone into the past to change things. In the case of PiT, the Bros were destined to meet their baby selves and go back and change the past, hence why the present remained Shroob free. The Bros wouldn't have remembered they met their grown-up selves either because they were too young or.. Darn it! I had another reason, but every time I go to write it down, I forget it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »
I was going to try and invent a time machine, but I realized that if I had ever ended up succeeding, then I would have already brought it back to myself and saved myself the trouble.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
I lol'd
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »
Time-travel would probably be pretty dangerous. I believe the tiniest of actions can set huge events in motion miles and miles away, so traveling to the past would be a bad idea. The future is a little safer, but nobody knows what the future holds, and you could wind up in the worst of situations. What if, by mistake, you take your gas-powered time machine to a future where all civilization is destroyed and fossil fuels have been exhausted?

Yep, I'm fine traveling into the future one second per second. And telling people "I came here from the nineties!!"
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 04:46:01 PM »
the only time machine on earth is the international date line, which brings you backwards or forewards 1 day depending on where you are coming from. Then again, there is all the 24 time zones, which operate on an hourly basis, and dont forget daylight savings time!
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure that time paradoxes wouldn't happen; if you went back in time to kill your dad, then you'd just be living in an alternate reality where your dad is dead and you don't exist (officially; you'd still, y'know, be there). And in the other reality, things would continue as normal, although you'd have disappeared. So, yeah, time travel can still screw you up, although it wouldn't make a universe-destroying time paradox.
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

I'll add an million imaginary seconds to the life of the first person who can reference the above quote.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »
"Ford?" "Yes?" "I think I'm a sofa." "I know how you feel."

(note: I haven't read the book recently enough to remember whether the quote is in there or not, so I'm just quoting the movie that I know it's in)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 07:05:54 AM »
No, it wasn't. The first quote was, though.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
The arrow of time?
http://www.ipod.org.uk/reality/reality_arrow_of_time.asp

I disagree with the conclusion of the last comic.  Knowing three seconds into the future would be very useful. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print