Poll

What is your sexual/romantic orientation?

Heterosexual
29 (69%)
Homosexual
6 (14.3%)
Bisexual
2 (4.8%)
Pansexual
0 (0%)
Hetero-romantic asexual
1 (2.4%)
Homo-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Bi-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Pan-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Aromantic asexual
0 (0%)
Unsure / "it's complicated" / other
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 120341 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
The problem with Young Earthism is that it kind of requires accepting the Matrix. Technically, we can never know if we're actually in the Matrix or not, because if we were, it would be such a good simulation that we'd have no way of knowing. I can never know if the world around me actually exists, or if I am just a disembodied mind being fed experiences by an evil demon. Likewise, if an omnipotent deity created the universe 6,000 years ago (or last Thursday) with the appearance of age, we would have no way of knowing, of confirming or denying it.

Those philosophical theories are all really interesting to think about, and they're certainly possible, but in order to function, we have to make certain assumptions that are, ultimately, unprovable. I have no way of actually knowing for certain that any of you actually exist physically outside of the experiences I have of you in my brain, let alone any way of knowing that you are sentient minds like I am, but I take those as postulates in order to live life. In order for science and rational thought to have meaning, we have to assume that the universe is not just a grand deception that was created five minutes ago. When Answers in Genesis argues that YEC is a possible way that the universe came about, yeah, it is, but only if literally every other conceivable arrangement of words is considered equally possible, because believing in YEC requires either rejecting the basic postulate that the world is consistent and understandable; or, at the very least, postulating the existence of a massive global conspiracy (possibly of demonic origin) among all scientists to suppress the truth of the earth's age. If either one of those is true, then how can we even study anything at all, if anything along the way can be thrown out just as easily?

Let's say I'm standing up and holding a pencil in my hand, and I ask, "If I let go of this pencil, what will happen?" You can say "It'll fall, because gravity will attract it toward the center of the earth, just as I've seen happen to many other things today." And you don't know that for certain, because I haven't let go of the pencil. It's also possible that the pencil will stay floating, because it's possible that at some point in the last few days, you were knocked unconscious and taken onto a spacecraft and now you're in a zero-g environment. But if we're going to allow that as a possibility, then we also have to admit that it's conceivably possible that the pencil will sprout wings and fly out. You've never seen a flying pencil before, but there are ways that one could conceivably exist, and it's not impossible for me to have one. In this new realm of possibilities, the only outcomes that are not possible are word salads, like "The pencil will radiate apple deaf at married bachelor." YEC is not word salad, but it is the zero-g theory -- yeah, it's a logically consistent possibility, but what reason is there to believe it?

Anyway, back on topic: Guys are cute.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:25 AM »
I like to think that my life is really a TV show being written by an unseen writer, and it's part of a shared universe occupied by everyone around me, each of whose lives is being written by some other unseen writer.

Anyway, back on topic: Guys are cute.

Aren't I just?

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »
Whether you personally accept YEC or find it "logical" is of no consequence to the truth. If any so-called theory isn't supported by the scientific community, it isn't science. It's pseudoscience. Call me prejudice and ignorant if you'd like, but I don't think you'd feel that way if someone were to deny the existence of gravity.

Look, I'm fine with being open-minded. By all means, we should be open-minded. But not so much that our brains fall out.

Relevant to the actual topic: I don't particularly like the way guys look. They're gross, hairy, and lacking in boobage. But if someone else likes that, hey, more power to them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:12:44 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2013, 01:51:48 AM »
The gayest thing I ever did was buy a giant print of this and hang it on my wall:

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
So, you're saying it's hung    ...on your wall, huh? ;)
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
I designed this T-shirt.  My sister didn't get it.

They're tongue kissing.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
So, you're saying it's hung    ...on your wall, huh? ;)
Going directly from reading the swear thread to reading this was like a reverse mental polar bear plunge.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
I was tempted to edit her post to see if BP would remove the edit, but was too tired/lazy at the time. 

LD, you should feel proud that she now accepts you as an equal as evidenced by her sharing a dirty joke with you. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
I don't think this is relevant to the thread but I want to post it somewhere.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
I feel like the above image is meant to be a joke. If not, all they're saying is that just because a white woman is discriminated against doesn't mean she should forget the advantages she holds over other groups, i.e., one discrimination does not negate another. I don't see what the problem is.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:37:34 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
I just found it confusing and tumblresque.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
Well it's certainly confusing. I had to reread the [darn] thing about 10 times to understand what they meant.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
Here is the sum of my girlfriend and I's Kinsey scores:

We've been together over 5 years fwiw
~I.S.~

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
While I suck at math, I can at least identify that the sum is not 0.

I think.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »
Steve the image in your post appears to be broken.

Print