Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario: Great or Crap?  (Read 10881 times)

« on: January 10, 2001, 10:50:36 PM »
Is anyone else anticipating the upcoming release of Paper Mario at all?  Maybe I'm just starved for another Mario adventure, but I really want to see what Nintendo has up their sleeve for this visually unique title.  I just hope they don't "pull a Yoshi's Story" on me. . .
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2001, 11:09:30 PM »
I am definitely looking forward to it.  I don't have the time to actually play video games anymore, but I am still interested.  I am most anxious to see how Nintendo fares making an RPG by themselves, especially considering the pressure is so great.
Someone set up us the bomb!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2001, 06:33:30 AM »
I am really looking forward to it! I have an N64 and I hope that Paper Mario will be as good (or better) as SMRPG!

GO MARIO!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2001, 10:51:50 PM »
I'll definitely be buying Paper Mario the first chance I get.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2001, 06:19:01 AM »
i definetly don't think it will measure up to the original (mailnly beacause squaresoft are the rpg kings and without them, well...), but it looks like an interesting game, and I might get it.
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2001, 05:10:03 PM »
I think it's definitely worthy of a purchase. Not only does it look good, but I think with their usage of very few polygons for each character that the game may be bigger than we anticipate ^_^
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2001, 05:47:01 PM »
Fryguy- Good point.  The simplification of the graphics for PMS (chuckle) may mean a larger game overall...
Someone set up us the bomb!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2001, 10:47:56 AM »
The characters in Paper Mario have the graphic style of their NES counterparts. They look like they were actually drawn in ink!

The flat 2-dimensional characters interacting within a completely 3-dimensional world; it looks like Nintendo's got another hit on their hands...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2001, 02:15:35 PM »
Great or crap, I think it will be an interesting gaming expereince none the less!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2001, 05:15:31 PM »
whats paper mario?

Matthew. People call me Gizmo. But alot of people call me yoshi mania
Break me...I dare you.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2001, 05:57:41 PM »
"Super Mario R.P.G. 2: Paper Mario" is a 2-D and 3-D roleplaying game that has already been released in Japan but was postponed twice in America.  I think now they're saying May it will be available for Nintendo 64.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2001, 02:57:32 PM »
Sorry folkes, I think it will be crap.  I have never played Super Mario RPG yet my friend says that it is great.  I have not been able to obtain a copy yet.  I do not like the graphics setup.  I think the experimental graphics setup will lead to its downfall.  I do look forward to Mario Kart Advace though.  

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2001, 03:33:02 PM »
I hope it will be great, but I fear it will be lousy.  Right now there is insufficient data to commit to a specific answer as to its quality.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2001, 09:18:27 PM »
I think it  will be great!
I'm going to go get it right when it comes out.
Sadly it does not appear like it will be the most popular game out.
However that means it will be an easy pick.
Oh yes hello!(I'm new here)

It begins October...
It begins October...

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2001, 03:00:40 PM »
May?  October?!  Jeez, I thought it was coming out in February!

-----------------------

"I''m-a Wario! I''m-a gonna win!!"
Haters gonna hate

Kat

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2001, 11:57:23 PM »
Personally, SMRPG was, and still is my all time favored game. I doubt anything will change that either... however. With the release of it's sequel, I stand to be corrected--if at all. I feel the game will be somewhat like SMB2... an excellent game, but overlooked by many. Perhaps because of the 2D in 3D graphics might be a big turn off for "new school" (aka s.b.p.g.g ~ spoiled by pretty graphics generations) since they've never really been errm... "exposed" to this new style. I look forward to the game's newer style though, and have been saving my christmas money ever since I got it, just for SMRPG2. Although, I still hope ninendo manages to squeeze some old SMRPG characters in there into the sequel. :) I'd love to see Geno, Mallow (well.. maybe not mallow as much) Dyna, Mite, Booster.. Dodo and Boshi espically in there. ^_^ Seeing Frogfucious in there would be a welcome surprise too... (Or maybe his student?)

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2001, 12:31:47 AM »
Cool!  Either Kat isn't dead, or someone posing as her is posting.

-----------------------

"I''m-a Wario! I''m-a gonna win!!"
Haters gonna hate

Kat

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2001, 11:23:40 PM »
Oh no, I'm quite alive an' kickin'. ^_~ I've just been "dormant" if you will, for a long time...

•·º¤. Kat .¤º·â€¢

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2001, 07:55:14 PM »
I simply cannot wait. I've seen the review in the February issue of Nintendo Power and the game is just pure Mario. It won't be exactly like Mario RPG so those of you looking for a "sequel" will probably be disappointed somewhat. I already know I'll love it though.

Also, there's more to a game than graphics. The kiddies griping about it using flat sprites tire me. Its the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night story all over. Back in 1985 we weren't griping about sprites, and I'm still not ;) I love side-scrollers.

James

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2001, 04:05:06 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Quasar! :D

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2001, 09:20:46 AM »
Well I finally got Paper Mario this weekend and I can now officially say that I love it. It *is* rather simple compared to Super Mario RPG, but its not exactly a push-over game either. A weekend of playing got me 3 Star Spirits rescued, and Mario at level 9, but I've died 3 times too. Thank goodness that Boo in the Mansion basement sells super mushrooms! ^_^

James

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2001, 12:21:18 AM »
Hey, I rented Paper Mario, AND IT RULES ALL!! i love it! I didnt think it would be this good. I thought it would be another yoshi's story, where the graphics are simple yet the game is short. Well right now I'm about to go to LavaLava Island. I rented this game twice in a row. I think Ill buy it!

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2001, 04:24:54 PM »
I think it's great! Best game ever! Bowser was way too easy!
 ~Zootalo SSBM: 269 Trophies SMS: 120 Shines LM: 23 Gold Frames
Animal Crossing: AC Name:Jon AC Town:Jockero

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2001, 09:15:36 PM »
I got Paper Mario less than a week ago and I am a little dissaponited. I already beat.  I was also bugged by little thing such as the fact that the fact that they turn Yoshi and Toad into species and do not recognize the individual charecters. It is not as good as SMRPG.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2001, 01:45:50 PM »
Umm... there were tons of Toads in SMRPG too. As for the Yoshis, one could say they were already a species since their first appearance in Super Mario World.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2001, 07:22:56 PM »
In the first Mario Rpg the "toads" were called mushroom people. Toad was specified as a character.  Also Yoshi is a specific person and a species.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2001, 01:20:36 AM »
If you wanna get specific about it, Toad was a "species" since Super Mario Bros. (1985)... While our manual listed the eight Mushroom-hat-wearing hostages as "Mushroom Retainers," the Japanese manual calls them "Kinopio." And so far, every time Toad appears in a Japanese game, he is called Kinopio. Of course, Super Mario 64 also had a bunch of Toads scattered throughout the castle, and I don't remember if one was singled out as THE Toad... :(

And in Super Mario World, I believe each color Yoshi was called a Yoshi, with their color in their name to set themselves apart from the regular green Yoshi. The green Yoshi can be found and hatched in several different levels.

Another thing... Luigi has a bigger part in Paper Mario than he did in Super Mario RPG, but I can't understand why they still didn't let him tag along with Mario! WTH? It's like Nintendo doesn't want anything to do with Luigi but they feel they are obliged to include him in games just so they don't upset Luigi fans or something...

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2001, 11:31:58 AM »
Toad and Yoshi are both individual members of species, so it's not a flaw to have a bunch of them, OR to have just one each.  One is THE Toad, one is THE Yoshi.

Where has "Paper Mario" been released?  I live in the U.S. and I haven't seen so much as a commercial for it.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2001, 11:38:56 AM »
Deezer- No kidding.  There's a reason why they're called Mario BROS.  Luigi should've been a permanent party member.

It makes me mad Nintendo gave Wario the shaft AGAIN.

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=

Edited by - billy chilly on 2/18/2001 9:59:13 AM
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2001, 01:50:28 PM »
Everybody knows Toads and Yoshis are species, I just didn't know Yoshi was a father.
As for Luigi, I remember a part about him having to stay home and take care of the house. But I do agree with you guys, He should have been a party member also.

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2001, 05:33:02 PM »
At least Wario's getting a steady stream of Game Boy games, I don't see Luigi starring in anything much.

Does anyone know when Paper Mario is supposed to be released in the UK and Europe? I'm still waiting :p
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2001, 05:47:24 PM »
Yes, Yoshi is a father.  The green hatchling in "Yoshi's Story" is his son.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Edited by - Mega 2 on 2/21/2001 2:17:57 PM
Mega 2

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2001, 02:08:37 PM »
billy: And we'll see Wario (and Waluigi) in Mario Party 3... if it comes to the US... ;)

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2001, 03:53:43 PM »
There are Yoshi hatchlings in Yoshi's Island? Man I must have missed something....

James

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2001, 03:56:42 PM »
OHH are you talking about the area in Paper Mario or the game by that title? The island with Yoshis on it in Paper Mario is not the same island as Yoshi's Island though ;) There are two ways you can know this: 1. its called Lavalava Island, and 2. one of the Mushroom people in the game at one point tells you that people once lived on that island but that they moved away and later groups of Yoshis and Ravens moved there. I don't think that "Yoshi" the Yoshi is any of the Yoshis on that island (confusing as that sounds x_x ).

James

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2001, 07:22:10 PM »
In my opinion, Paper Mario is an excellent Mario game. I like it much, much. Sure, it didn't live up to what "MarioRPG" was, but it is great in it's own right. It has a classic Marioesque feeling that I've been missing. It is a long game, 30-35 hours long. There are several "real" RPG's that are shorter.
Now, here are what's wrong with it:
Mosty Character problems.
-Where is Kamek? This is the worst crime against a neglected character. They didn't just leave him out of give him a minor part, they *replaced* him with, what I think, is just a warped version of what we already knew. My friends and I decided that untill Nintendo explains such blunders, they will be ignored. Kammy is Kamek. Simple as that.
-Why can't Luigi come? Come on! Sure, at least he's in it, and at least we get to read his diary and talk to him and other silly things, but why can't we just play with him?! Would that be so bad?
-Why so many different party members? Come on, half of them don't even have personalities. Bow is the only "baddie" with a personality that even comes close to fitting. Plus, they could've easily combined their powers. In the end, they are just creating more characters to neglect.
-Where is Toad? Sheesh. Instead, they have that stupid little Twink star thingy. Blah.

-TurtleTek
http://turtletek.botic.com

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2001, 08:11:32 PM »
I'll try to answer your questions, but of course I'm no authority so its all open to interpretation ;)

"-Where is Kamek?"
Dead and buried is my theory. Kamek wasn't young in SMW2, and that was like at least 35 years before Paper Mario. There are always Magikoopa advisors to the Koopa throne, though, and Kammy is currently playing that role :->

"-Why can't Luigi come?"
I agree that its lame that he can't come along, but I think the issue at hand was game balance. Having two characters the power of Mario would make the game a lot easier. Of course they could have made it possible to switch between them before battles, but I'm sure people would have complained about that too...

"-Why so many different party members?"

I kind of like the variety myself, and they do at least each give one new important ability.

"Bow is the only "baddie" with a personality that even comes close to fitting."

Well I don't think they're really meant to be "baddies" -- its just that all members of their races aren't bad, just like the Pink Bobombs in Mario 64. There's a few good ;)

"-Where is Toad? Sheesh. Instead, they have that stupid little Twink star thingy. Blah."

I heard he's off training for his upcoming appearance in Toad's Adventure, which is a game I'm programming ;)

James

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2001, 08:08:41 AM »
Okay, Quasar.  Here's some more Paper Mario related questions:

1. Why is Bowser's head all bloated and puffy?

2. Remember when stars were just little things you could pick up and be invincible for a couple seconds?

3. Where the crappy hell is Wario?

4. Why can't I just have enough money to buy the frickin' game?

5. Are the Koopa Kids dead?

6. What about Donkey Kong Jr.?

Thanks, Q-man. :D

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2001, 08:16:59 PM »
Unfortent to say i bought PM and it's kinda a easy kind of game untill "Chapter 6"...Yes It's a Book!

I no Koopa Im Koopa Troopa...gosh i hate this comp! Surfing Mushroom Kingdom!
Happy? IMPOSTER...I Never Use H word!!!
"Welcome to a Game Guy Minigame! First i must take all you coins! (-X Coins) Ok We''re Off to the Game Guy Game Room! So hang on tight because it''s going to be a rough ride!"~ Sheesh! I gotta stop playing the Shyguy Games!!

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2001, 12:03:18 AM »
Mr. Face say Paper Mario AWESOME! Mr. Face NE-VER wrong!!!!

* Mr. Face say this post is awesome. Mr. Face NE-VER wrong!
* Mr. Face say this post is awesome. Mr. Face NE-VER wrong!

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2001, 09:36:07 PM »
"Okay, Quasar. Here's some more Paper Mario related questions:"

I'll do my best ;)

"1. Why is Bowser's head all bloated and puffy?"

No clue here man :) Maybe he thought it would look intimidating, and had Kammy cast a head-swelling spell on him ^_^

"2. Remember when stars were just little things you could pick up and be invincible for a couple seconds?"

Yep -- of course there are still stars that are in that business, I hear. Just doesn't pay as well as granting wishes I guess.

"3. Where the crappy hell is Wario?"

Maybe Wario 3 and Paper Mario are actually contemporary games, and thus our muscled anti-hero is still in a music box at this point -- or that theory failing, maybe he just doesn't care enough about Mario's doings to show up.

"4. Why can't I just have enough money to buy the frickin' game?"

Doh! I got lucky and still had some left-over x-mas money ;)

"5. Are the Koopa Kids dead?"

Nah I think Bowser just decided that they fumbled the ball one too many times and has them training hard back in the Koopa Kingdom for the next time he needs their help.

"6. What about Donkey Kong Jr.?"

Well he did resurface in Super Mario Kart, but that *was* a long time ago :) I think maybe he's like a dead-beat dad or something and is hiding from Cranky, who's still trying to collect child support for having to raise the new DK :)

"Thanks, Q-man. :D"

I always try my best! ^_^

James

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2001, 06:31:59 AM »
My theory of Donkey Kong Jr. is this:

DK  is really Donkey Kong from the Donkey Kong Country games. Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong from the Mario-Donkey Kong games.

To put it in easier terms: Cranky is the father of Donkey Kong, who is actually DK Jr............................................................................................................................. .................... Is that easy enough to understand?

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2001, 12:09:02 PM »
You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but Donkey Kong Country makes it clear in the manual that Cranky is the new Donkey Kong's grandfather.

James

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2001, 07:48:28 PM »
Now here's a development that'll make your medulla oblongada collapse:

Donkey Kong Jr. was in Mario Tennis alongside Donkey Kong (Rare's "Super" Donkey Kong)

>:D

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2001, 05:21:22 PM »
Whoa really? I didn't know about that. Maybe they finally made up hehehe :)

James

Print