Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 16: Box Art  (Read 15287 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »
Best: PM:TTYD. There was even an article about its art at n-sider.

Worst: MKWii, naturally.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »
Best: PM:TTYD. There was even an article about its art at n-sider.
That just reminded me... why was there a whole article about the boxart for that one Chocobo Dungeon game on 1up.com once?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
Best: SMG
Worst: SMB
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
Best: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. As some people already said, it's actually appealing and makes you want to play the game.
Worst: Mario Kart Wii. Okay. The game is Mario Kart...so where are the karts?!

Also, about Super Mario Sunshine's box art. I can't blame Mario too much for looking kinda ticked off. I mean, the guy did get framed and his vacation ruined. What I find odd is that somewhere in the "pointless text surrounding Mario" it mentions that Mario has more moves. ...Yeah.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »
I think what it's supposed to say is something along the lines of "Mario has more moves than ever. You'll have to master them all to sprinkle water in the sunshine."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
Which is basically contradictory--all you have to do to sprinkle water in the sunshine is press R. If that's all, then Mario has fewer moves than ever.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
One thing in the game that's always bothered me is how helpless Mario is without FLUDD. He couldn't even do half of the stuff he could in Super Mario 64. The only new move in Mario's arsenal that doesn't require FLUDD is the spin jump. But considering that he had that in Super Mario World can it really be called new?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:49:23 PM by N64 Chick »
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »
But didn't it make SMG all the better? When I first played SMG it seemed like such a time warp back to the gameplay of SM64.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
I'm not going to pick a best in this one (unless all the games I'm about to mention get votes) but I can tell you what the worst one is..

Mario Kart Wii. It's the same art as the box, the same art as the game box, and the same art as the title screen, so you get tired of seeing it before you even play the game. The only good thing about it: They are apprently in karts, as we are not seeing their shadows on the ground, but kart shadows.. and they seem to be wearing their wrist straps properly too, so they don't accidently fling their steering wheel through the tv and injure you.

Now, best boxes.. where to being? M&LSS, Yoshi's Island, Mario Party 8, New SMB, SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, SMK, Mario All*Stars, Mario RPG, Paper Marios (that's plural!), Mario Party.. there are just too many to mention, really.

Also, I nominate best/worst caslte/Bowser music.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
Super Mario World's North American box pales in comparison to the Japanese one.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »
Pretty much all American boxarts pale in comparison to Japanese ones (Shiren the Wanderer, anyone?).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
I wouldn't say that for some games. EarthBound, Kirby: Canvas Curse and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga all got new, more exciting box art for the U.S.A. I'd say it's because we judge books by covers, or games by boxes.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
Don't forget Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
Wait, didn't Superstar Saga come out in America first?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
Best: Yume Koju: Doki Doki Panic - Dream Factory because it has more doki action! (I actually own the FDS disk mint)

Worst: Wario's Woods because it brings me that 199's prime time feeling. (It seems after Gumpei Yoko died Nintendo lost lots of quality.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print