Poll

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Yes
9 (42.9%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Used Games: Bad for the Industry?  (Read 20789 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 02:41:31 PM »
It's called a yard sale.
Man do the residents of this house have to have one. I'm, personally, a total pack rat and will probably contribute only one or two objects, none of which will be video game related. But we have a multitude of old vases and stuff.
* Bird Person looks around the room
No, that's... you think I could pass that off as...? No no no, never...But who would want one of those?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
Used underwear was the focus of one of GameCrazy's ad's in an old issue of EGM I have.

As for used games, I rarely buy them because I usually buy my games when they're still new. Besides, the used section of my local GameStop has completely disappeared and GameCrazy has also reduced the used section to small glass cases.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
Are used games bad for the industry?  Heck no.  The company made the money when that copy was sold new.  Used games help the gaming community: Say there is a game you want, but you either had no interest for it at the time or your parents wouldn't let you have a game console at the time, whatever.  That's where used games come in handy.  Heck, I bought my N64 and all of its games and accessories second hand
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »
Like I said before, used games that can't be bought new are fine. They don't enter into the equation. As for new games, "that company made money when that copy was sold new" doesn't cut it. It just doesn't.
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »

Haha. Just making a realistic point. I looked at the guy, looked away, and looked back, and noticed his eyes were in a different position. Creepy.

Are used games bad for the industry?  Heck no.  The company made the money when that copy was sold new.  Used games help the gaming community: Say there is a game you want, but you either had no interest for it at the time or your parents wouldn't let you have a game console at the time, whatever.  That's where used games come in handy.  Heck, I bought my N64 and all of its games and accessories second hand

Sure, the company made money when that particular copy was sold new, but as Lizard Dude pointed out, when someone else buys that copy, they could have instead bought a new copy, which would be much more profitable for the developers. Thus, a drop in monetary intake for the developers.

Yeah. Used games that are no longer available new are a no-brainer. This point has been made a few times already.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »
Haha. Just making a realistic point. I looked at the guy, looked away, and looked back, and noticed his eyes were in a different position. Creepy.
Tom Baker!
* Luigison puts Lizard Dudes post at the top of the Post of the Year nominies.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »
I'll put it this way: No. Somebody brought up this topic in EGM a while back, and I think the comparison to used car sales is pretty accurate. Really, what's the big deal here?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 11:01:12 AM »
My friend saw this topic and said that I stole a lot of what I said from EGM. I have no idea what he's talking about; I've never even seen that issue. But how is making a point that may or may have been in some magazine stealing?
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
I think that we the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, should establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. What do you guys think, pretty good idea, isn't it?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
Alright, you constitute. XD
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
You are too. As am I.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »
Video games don't lose 90% of their value when sold. So no, not like car sales.

bobman: Realistic point? So if people stop writing books, we should be content with the ones we already have? (I'm probably thinking fiction and stuff.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:11:26 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 07:19:51 PM »
You don't have to be content with what you already have; I never said that. All I said was you already have your previous books, games, whatever. It's not like they're coming to your house and burning all of your books. You can still read.

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 01:48:14 AM »
But I already know the ending!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
Ferenheit 650: The Temperature at Which Plastic Burns

I know, 650 is a random number, but I wanted to make that joke before anyone else.

Anyhoo, the pole doesn't lie; the majority of people here think used games won't destroy the industry. And besides, there have been used game sales for about ten years or more; it's not gonna happen. Enough people are buying new games to give the developers and publishers profit, so it's not like everyone is buying used games. I'll admit, if everyone bought used games, that would be a problem somehow, but that's not the case. Besides, in three or so years all game systems will use downloaded games, or games that require that you download the levels/characters/vehicles/weapons/cheat codes in addition to paying $70, so trust me, game developers will be getting tons of money.
every

Print