Yes
12 (57.1%)
Sometimes
9 (42.9%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: The Rumble Feature  (Read 10865 times)

« on: June 05, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while. PlayStation 3 received minor criticism for having no rumble feature (unless I'm wrong, which some will descendingly point out if so), but how many actually prefer it? Me personally, sometimes. The Rumble on the Gamecube controller I thought was very subtle (not too noisy or quivery), which I liked. However, concerning the Wii Remote, I turned off the Rumble feature because I found the vibrations and the noise distracting (esspecially every time a button or something on screen is highlighted), and it drains the batteries a lot faster.

Do you like using Rumble Feature?

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:03:12 PM »
* Toad descendingly points out that you are wrong.

Actually, I don't know for sure either.

I like my rumbling controllers. It was kind of weird back in the N64 days, but not only have I gotten used to it, I think it enhances the gaming experience: I liked the subtle rumbling that came with Link's sword hitting that wall.

The thing I actually find distracting is the speaker on the Wii-mote. It took me a few days to figure out how to turn the silly thing down, so that my Zelda game wasn't literally yelling at me..  -_-;;
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 08:16:08 PM »
For the Nintendo 64, I do have a Rumble Pak. It's 3rd party, part of the TremorPak Plus (you can put a memory card in it and switch between rumble and save with a switch, but when I'm using ghosts in MK64 I just put the card directly into the controller). It's kind of heavy and takes two AA batteries... and I never remember, "Oh, my gaming experience might be better if I add rumble," so it's dusty... Having used WaveBirds much more often than corded controllers for the GameCube, I'm not used to rumble on GameCube games and it kind of throws me off. I leave it on for WarioWare: Twisted! And lastly, I leave it on for the Wii remote because it feels much more perfected than the GameCube's rumble. Kind of disappointing that the Nunchuk doesn't have rumble, 'cause when it'd make sense for the Nunchuk to rumble the remote does instead...
In short, sometimes.
On the subject of the speaker on the remote, I have it turned down to one or two units. Midna's cackling is hard on the ears, but the sound effects in WarioWare: Smooth Moves, for example, are in the right place at the right time.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
I've always liked having rumble. It's too bad the Classic Controller doesn't have rumble, since it means you're missing out on part of some N64 games. (Good thing rumble was still a novelty at the time.)

The thing I actually find distracting is the speaker on the Wii-mote. It took me a few days to figure out how to turn the silly thing down, so that my Zelda game wasn't literally yelling at me..  -_-;;
I remember a lot of people complaning a few days after the Wii was launched about how lound the default volume setting was and wonddering if they could turn down the volume. I guess people don't read the manual... but that's a completly diferent rant.
* MaxVance sighs
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »
I liked the Rumble feature for things such as Goldeneye and Star Wars Episode One Racer, but in things where I need precision, I would never use a rumble pack. I laugh at the idea of getting a DS rumble pack for Metroid Prime Hunters.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
The Wii remote has an odd rumble when compared to the others, but it never really bothered me. The GameCube's rumble, however was perfect in my opinion. The rumble features on anything never distracted me when playing, except for a stupid GC controller we bought from GameStop. (It rumbles when tilted to one side, and the rumbling is obnoxious.) I tend to use rumble on any game I play, but sometimes I can hardly notice it.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »
I gotta have my rumble. That's why I never use a WaveBird. It really annoyed me in Mario Party 4 when people used WaveBirds because it then turned all of our rumble off and used ! bubbles instead. There were many great arguments about this.

I think the remote sound effects in Twilight Princess are freakishly loud compared to all other games. I had to turn my volume back up for Smooth Moves and Mario Party 8.

The DS Rumble Pak is baaaaad, though, due to the SUPER loud chirping. What the heck. Hmm, this reminds me I still never tried it with Elite Beat Agents. Gotta do that!

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 06:13:19 AM »
The rumble feature wasn't a necessity in earlier games since the characters on screen weren't as developed enough to make it seems like you were actually in the game (now that I think about it, Super Mario World with rumble would be more annoying than it would be fun). Nowadays, rumble kinda feels natural, like it should be apart of every game. The fact that you're going to feel every action you perform on screen makes it extremely fun when compared to just performing the action with no force acting on your hand; in other words, you can't really feel the game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that rumble is needed for every 3-D game these days, no matter the genre. So yeah, seeing the PS3 w/out rumble is very disappointing. But I guess that's why I have an XBox 360 and Wii instead.

(This isn't to say I wouldn't play a game w/out rumble, though it'd be a little more dull than a similar game with rumble.)
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »
I really wish Japan hadn't kept that rumble pack compatible SM64 to themselves. :(  I would've LOVED playing that game with a rumble feature.  And, for me, the only downside with the Wavebird is that it lacks rumble.  SSBM is just not the same w/out that feature.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't understand why someone would want rumble on their handhelds.  PL's right; older games, like SMW would probably be more annoying than fun with rumble.

In conclusion, I prefer rumble sometimes.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:48:56 AM »
PS3 is getting rumble sometime since Sony stopped stealing rumble technology from the patent holders.
PS3 did get criticism for its somewhat light and cheap feeling and rumble lacking controllers.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
Sony should have stuck with the original boomerang controller design. :P
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
HECK NO.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »
That's why I put the :P emoticon on.  I wasn't being serious.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
Still. HECK NO.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
I think that game has the loudest speaker effects of any Wii game I've ever played.

Rumble is nonsensical when you think about it, but... I like it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:04:35 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I still kinda find rumble a novelty, like Psycho Mantis' battle in Metal Gear Solid. It's not very important to me, but it's nice nevertheless.

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
You guys reminded me that rumble does not feel natural in 2D platformers. I hated it in SPP. Hmm, did Viewtiful Joe rumble?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »
To me, Super Mario World seems like it would actually be pretty cool with rumble.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
Ah yes, crashing into the floor as Caped Mario would Rawk.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
For one guy I know, the N64's rumble pack was a purchase point.  That and Zelda for some reason seemed like a cool enough combination to go for it.

Yeah, it was pretty cool for its day, wasn't it?  But rumble doesn't really provide much... It's very limited in how it's used.  I'd like to do a quick draw game, where you have to hold the controller really still until BAM it rumbles, and you've got to move!
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
That's how the Mario Party 4 game was (well, pressing A not moving) but STUPID WAVEBIRD USERS made it turn into just watching for a ! to appear.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:37 AM »
Some games have very good use for rumble. Luigi's Mansion has the best use of rumble ever conceived. SSBM's isn't bad either.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 10:05:11 PM »
I can't imagine Pokemon Pinball without a rumble function. I felt naked when I turned it off.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »
How'd the rumble work on WW:Twisted?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 03:11:22 AM »
Well, you know how on the Wii there's a slight "tick" of rumble every time your cursor crosses a clickable button? It's like that, except with rotating through menus. Makes menu-ing a lot more tactile and feels good.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »
That's how the Mario Party 4 game was (well, pressing A not moving) but STUPID WAVEBIRD USERS made it turn into just watching for a ! to appear.
You just recruited a soldier for the Anti-Wavebird Army.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 04:02:18 AM »
Welcome recruit. I now must tell you the good side of WaveBirds. They are good for playing N64 games on the Wii, since those don't have rumble no matter what you do.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
Wait.  VC OoT doesn't have rumble?!  BLASPHEMY!!!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »
Virtual Console games don't support rumble at all, so none of them have it.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
Grr!  Now I'm joinin' the Anti-Wii Army!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Another thing to add to my list of reasons NOT to download OoT on the VC.  Heck I think I just lost interest in downloading Star Fox 64.  I'd rather find an N64 cartridge for it on eBay.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 07:02:34 AM »
Now, this is quite odd. I understand that rumble adds to the feeling of playing a game, but is it so important that some games have to be avoided like the plague? Rumble does necessarily make a game "good": it's peripheral. Anyone can still play games with or without rumble; the rumble just adds a subtle feeling of involvement, but other than that it's just a controller shaking in your hands. Kojinka, I can't believe you're simply avoiding VC OoT or VC Star Fox 64 to buy some used N64 cart (which destroys the whole purpose of the VC) just because it has no rumble. If the original cart has rumble, I don't really think OoT was called by several critics "one of the greatest games of all time" just for that.

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 07:47:18 AM »
Star Fox 64 was the first console game with rumble so it's a historic experience.

Ocarina of Time actually has secrets that could only be conceivably found through rumble. Stone of Agony, anyone?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »
Also, I already have OoT(Gold cart) on my N64.  Both still functional.  I MIGHT still download SF64, but I wanna download Paper Mario first.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »
Playing games on their original consoles is definitely better. The one advantage to VC is higher resolution on N64 games. That said, since they fixed the analog stick sensitivity on SF64, there is no reason for me to buy the game since I own an original copy that now behaves exactly the same and has rumble.
That was a joke.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
That said, since they fixed the analog stick sensitivity on SF64, there is no reason for me to buy the game...
I don't know what you're talking about with fixing the stick sensitivity, but you just made me realize one of the VC's strong points:  the controller.  I don't know about you guys, but my original N64 controllers are just about useless... They're beat beyond repair; I don't care how many times David Dayton guides me otherwise.

Thumbstick technology has come a long way, I guess.  The GC had quality controllers, and I expect the Wii's to last at least as long.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »
GC sticks still wear out after enough Smash. Anyway, the first version of VC SF64 had a nice smooth framerate and no slowdown, but for some reason the analog sensitivity on the Classic Controller was way high. So they released a second version with proper analog control, but that put all the slowdown back in.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »
I've got Star Fox 64 for the VC, and I'm not sure about what version I have, but I don't see any analog or framerate problems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »
Well, check out what happens after you select a level (happens sometimes) and also pretty much the whole Aquas level.
That was a joke.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »
Does it autoupdate the first version or do you have to manually redownload?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »
Rumble does add feeling to the game, but you don't need it. Sure, back then it was something to buy with some games, but now it is common in games. I like the feeling when I used to hit a wall in Super Mario Sunshine(now that doesn't happen because I'm too good.) Rumble does make games feel more realistic, but it is a minor enhancement. There's criticism for PS3 having no rumble? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. All I hear nowadays are people complaining about the PS3, but neither of them have even touched one. It's games people, not specs that make a system. The Wii shows how graphics don't matter in a system. You buy a system to have fun playing the games, not looking at how realistic your character looks. If people want good graphics, go outside. That has the best graphics.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:44:56 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
Not really. The light source is way too bright. I can't even look at it without my screen frying. Furthermore, the run speed is ludicrously slow and travel times are obscene. You also have to grind for literally hours on end just to make a tiny amount of money.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 06:13:12 PM »
I really don't care whether or not rumble is on, except that I prefer it off in Melee, but since I often forget/don't bother to put the Pak in N64 controllers (I didn't even know Paper Mario had rumble until a few days ago) and prefer to play with WaveBirds, it's usually off. I don't turn it off with the Wii remote and only really notice it's on when the Void in SPM expands. But I'd probably notice something missing if I turned it off.
I agree that the rumble-based Mario Party 4 games are better with actual rumble.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
except that I prefer it off in Melee
Are you serious? Are you BLEEPIN' serious?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
Yes, it's... I don't know, too heavy? Like, it rumbles at everything, a lot, and it distracts me...
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »
I've always prefered rumble in Smash Bros.  It gives a more intense feel to the games.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2007, 01:02:11 AM »
Rumble is one of the best reasons to play Melee.
I now have an extender cable so my GCN controller reaches outside my room but still has rumble. I likes my rumbles.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 03:37:28 AM »
I have an extension cord as well (if you aren't exaggerating, and your room is not super-small, it's not as long as yours), but... I don't know. It feels too jerky to me.
Oh, one of the main reasons I prefer wireless to cords is, other than the possibility of accidental unplugging, I'm quite lazy and don't like having to wrap cords around controllers (Which, on top of taking precious seconds, I've heard is not good for the controller in the long run... is there a better way?) and would rather just switch the WaveBird off and putting it someplace on my desk. My opinions may be stupid, but hey, I'm a pretty stupid guy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:44:25 AM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
My opinions may be stupid, but hey, I'm a pretty stupid guy.

No you're not.

I'm quite lazy and don't like having to wrap cords around controllers (Which, on top of taking precious seconds, I've heard is not good for the controller in the long run... is there a better way?)

I had no idea that wrapping the cords around the controllers is bad. What makes it bad?.. Actaully, I think part of it (in answer to my own question) wears the cord out faster, becuase the only proof I have of that is my SNES and N64 controllers, but I did play a lot of games during those two gaming eras (go Super Mario Kart and Smash Bros/Mario Party)

The cords are wearing a little thin from where the touch the controller when I warp them, and the buttons are becoming less responsive (moreso on the N64 controllers, due to excessive press the button rapidly games in MP).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2007, 12:44:48 AM »
The cords only will wear out if you wrap them tightly. Loose wrappage is fine. Buttons will wear out because the rubber layer coated with carbon will eventually come apart from so much movement at the joints that let it press and pop back up.
That was a joke.

Print