Poll

What are your most favorite power-ups?

Super Mushroom (SMB)
9 (4%)
Fire Flower (SMB)
21 (9.3%)
Starman (SMB)
20 (8.9%)
Super Leaf (Also counts as the P-Wing) (SMB3)
14 (6.2%)
Tanooki Suit (SMB3)
16 (7.1%)
Frog Suit (SMB3)
9 (4%)
Hammer Bros. Suit (SMB3)
21 (9.3%)
Kuribo's Shoe (SMB3)
13 (5.8%)
Cape Feather (SMW)
22 (9.8%)
P-Balloon (SMW)
2 (0.9%)
Wing Cap (SM64)
13 (5.8%)
Metal Cap (SM64)
15 (6.7%)
Vanish Cap (SM64)
3 (1.3%)
Mega Mushroom (NSMB)
9 (4%)
Mini Mushroom (GBDK)
6 (2.7%)
Blue Shell (NSMB)
6 (2.7%)
Super Flower (SML)
1 (0.4%)
Carrot (SML2)
1 (0.4%)
Yoshi's Wings (SMW)
5 (2.2%)
Power Flower (SM64DS)
3 (1.3%)
Bee Mushroom (SMG)
5 (2.2%)
Boo Mushroom (SMG)
3 (1.3%)
Ice Flower (SMG)
1 (0.4%)
Spring Mushroom (SMG)
0 (0%)
Rainbow Star (SMG)
4 (1.8%)
Red Star (SMG)
3 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Print

Author Topic: Your favorite Power-Ups in various Mario games  (Read 17000 times)

« on: August 07, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »
I've defined a power-up (well in this thread, anyway) as anything that alters Mario's (or Luigi's) physical appearance and abilities to benefit them, either for a limited time or until Mario touches an enemy. I've listed them in order of appearance (in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and New Super Mario Bros.) If I missed a game, please let me know, and I shall add the power-ups from those games (I'm not including anything from RPGs or Mario Kart/Party games, due to the fact that they do not follow the rule of altering the physical appearance of Mario/Luigi, nor am I including the power ups of Super Mario Sunshine, for the same reason. Super Mario Bros. 2's Poison Mushroom also isn't included, as it does not benefit Mario or Luigi).

You may vote for 5 power ups.

I hope this becomes a popular poll, and also hope this wasn't done before. Hm.

Get voting.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
I always loved the basics. The Super Mushroom, the Fire Flower, the Starman. I also admire the Super Leaf. It gives me great memories of playing SMAS with my big sister many years ago. The last favorite item of mine is Kuribo's Shoe (which thanks go to me for reminding Vidgmchtr to include it in his poll). I just love bouncing around in that thing. It always fits me.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:27 PM »
My favorite Super Mario item (or Power-Up, if you will) is the Hammer Bros. Suit. We know the Hammer Brothers are one of the biggest nuisance in the history of the Mario Universe, but slipping in on one of those suits will allow you to take on that role (at least, as long as you don't get hit by an enemy) and become one of the nuisance yourself.

Yep, i definitely love the Hammer Bros. Suit.
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »
I had a hard time choosing between the cape feather and the super leaf, but I chose Super Leaf because Mario and Luigi in raccoon form remind me of those human/beast crossovers/demons that are common in anime
Starman makes you invincible for a short period of time, and it's tune is classic.
Fire Flower.  No explanation needed
Super Mushroom  classic
Metal Hat: You can just ram through the enemies, noxious gas won't hurt you, and its song is really cool!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:06:46 AM »
Let's not forget the GB power-ups:
(non-Fire) Flower = Superballs = awesome
Carrot = hovering = crap

While not exactly power-ups since you gain them automatically at the necessary time, there were some other cool things:
Marine Pop
Sky Pop
Space Suit

Technically, the Mini Mushroom and Mega Mushroom first appeared in GB Donkey Kong, though the latter was only used by Donkey Kong.
You could arguably add Jugem's Cloud, though that's a map screen-only item.
What about the ? Mushroom from SMAS SMB3's battle mode?  I suppose that's more of an effect than a power-up.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:50:28 AM »
Tanooki Suit- You can fly, and kill things you can't normally when you use the statue power.
Kuribo's Shoe- If being in a giant shoe isn't the most brilliant concept of a power-up ever, I don't know what is.
P-Balloon-You're a balloon! Seriously! That's great!
Mini Mushroom- I love that floaty jump and ability to walk on water. So it makes you more vulnerable, whatever, but you can outmaneuver enemies easily.
I didn't choose a fifth. Sorry, Fifth.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:03:23 AM »
I chose:

Fire Flower- it's just so useful in some levels...
Starman- Invincibility, come on!
Cape Feather- it's excellent fun to soar through levels, and it suits Mario too.
Metal Cap- awesome music, useful, great appearance, win.
Mini Mushroom- this is extremely fun to use in NSMB.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
I voted for....

Hammer Bros- This power-up looked pretty good on Mario, and the ability to toss hammers at enemies was just sweet.
Fire Flower- This is pretty much Mario's main attack outside of jumping. Fire has always been a favorite weapon of mine in games.
Frog Suit- It may not  be the most useful item in some levels, but come on. Mario's in a frog suit. What's not to love?
Metal Cap- I kinda remember this as one of my first power up, since I started playing Mario around SM64. It's powerful, and Mario can't die with it on (unless he falls down a pit)
Cape Feather- This power allows Mario to fly. Flying is my favorite super power. That's all I gotta say about that.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
I'm glad to see Mega Mushroom with 0%.  It could have been a good power up if it were used to break a wall to enter a different path or to go into a giant Warp Pipe, but it was mostly used for running and breaking stuff.  The novelty wore off fast.

I voted for Fire Flower and Wing Cape because of their usefulness.  I voted for the Mini Mushroom because I liked it in NSMB.  It was useful and different.  Finally, I voted for Kuribo's Shoe and the Frog Suit for their, for lack of a better word, cuteness. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »
Let's not forget the GB power-ups:
(non-Fire) Flower = Superballs = awesome
Carrot = hovering = crap

While not exactly power-ups since you gain them automatically at the necessary time, there were some other cool things:
Marine Pop
Sky Pop
Space Suit

Technically, the Mini Mushroom and Mega Mushroom first appeared in GB Donkey Kong, though the latter was only used by Donkey Kong.
You could arguably add Jugem's Cloud, though that's a map screen-only item.
What about the ? Mushroom from SMAS SMB3's battle mode?  I suppose that's more of an effect than a power-up.

Aha! Forgot about the Super Mario Land games completely. I'll add those to the bottom of the list later.

I did consider Jugem's Cloud (along with a few other map screen items with similar effects) but decided not to, as they're not used in the main part of the game.

I didn't really consider the ? Mushroom either, as I do not recall it actually changing the appearance of Mario or Luigi. Then again, I've only played it like once or twice in my life. If enough people want that on the list as well, I'll add it.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
I'm glad to see Mega Mushroom with 0%.  It could have been a good power up if it were used to break a wall to enter a different path or to go into a giant Warp Pipe, but it was mostly used for running and breaking stuff.  The novelty wore off fast.

Heh. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I voted for Mega

:P
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
I voted for the three caps from Super Mario 64, as they all had good theme music and made gameplay a lot more 3-dimensional, as well as having general coolness.  I also voted for the Hammer bros suit, which was a good weapon.  And of course the Starman.  Best song ever, cool flashy effect, and makes you INVINCIBLE!!  Hahahaha!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:26 AM »
I just remembered the most awesome power-up from SML2.  On the save select screen Mario can essentially turn into a Bob-omb and obliterate the selected data file.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
Hammer Bros. Suit because it is like invincibility if you take it slow, and you can kill King Koopa with it... And it looks hot on Peach(Sue me!)

Super Mushroom because it has the best design ever, and I love the way it's evolved.

Tanooki because it looks cute on Mario, and you get to fly and be a statue. That's a lot of abilities!

Kuribo's Shoe
because it's a nice rarity that is really fun to use.

Frog Suit
because it makes the hell of water levels a little less hellish and looks cute.

EDIT: Oh yeah! What about Lakitu's loud? Also, I have a feeling Galaxy is going to bring on a plethora of new suits, might want to remake this poll after the fact :O
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:08:00 AM by Metric »
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:21:28 AM »
I just remembered the most awesome power-up from SML2.  On the save select screen Mario can essentially turn into a Bob-omb and obliterate the selected data file.

They need to bring that back and put it to good use in-game.

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »
Oh yeah! What about Lakitu's loud? Also, I have a feeling Galaxy is going to bring on a plethora of new suits, might want to remake this poll after the fact :O

The Jugem's cloud isn't on the poll because it doesn't really effect normal gameplay (it's used on the map screen, not in the normal side-scrolling).

(If this poll's still active by the time Galaxy comes out, I'll add the eligible power-ups to the list. Be patient. :P)

The bomb thing from SML2 would've been nice if it was used in actual gameplay as well, but it suffers from the same fate as the Cloud, only used outside of the levels....That, and I can't really think of how it benefits Mario...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
What about Yoshi's wings? Or only items that affect Mario count? And wheres those flowers from SM64DS? You know, the ones that make Mario all bloated and stuff.

EDIT: The wing cap is from SM64, not SMW!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »
That, and I can't really think of how it benefits Mario...
Exactly!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »
Well, SushieBoy covered what I was going to say here.

Anyway, Tanooki Suit and Kuribo's Shoe.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »
What about Yoshi's wings? Or only items that affect Mario count? And wheres those flowers from SM64DS? You know, the ones that make Mario all bloated and stuff.

EDIT: The wing cap is from SM64, not SMW!

I shall add Yoshi's Wings.

I noticed the SMW thing before I read the posts on the second page and quickly fixed it.

...Ehh, I don't really feel like adding the Power Flower, but, alright.....(I prefer SM64's caps better, but this is a poll for everyone, not just me.)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »
I don't know if Yoshi's wings belong since it's not a Mario Bros. powerup...

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 01:39:43 AM »
How about just Yoshi, then?
Wouldn't he qualify as a power-up in SMW?
Go Moon!

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07:08 AM »
The Jugem's cloud isn't on the poll because it doesn't really effect normal gameplay (it's used on the map screen, not in the normal side-scrolling).

I was talking about the ones in SMW where if you kill Lakitu you can hop on his cloud and float around, it's essentially the same idea as Kuribo's shoe.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
I was talking about the ones in SMW where if you kill Lakitu you can hop on his cloud and float around, it's essentially the same idea as Kuribo's shoe.

Yeah, and it is obtained similarly. I'll think about it.

How about just Yoshi, then?
Wouldn't he qualify as a power-up in SMW?

That's a little mean, considering Yoshi a mere power-up. :P

I don't know if Yoshi's wings belong since it's not a Mario Bros. powerup...

It does change Yoshi's physical appearance somewhat, he's given a pair of wings and turns blue. Though I didn't mention Yoshi in my first post, it's obtained the same way most of the power-ups are obtained. I think it's alright.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »
Well just saying that it opens up a bunch of other Yoshi power-ups... all the vehicles from YI, etc.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
Actually, I'd say forget the Lakitu cloud and Yoshi. Since they are both living things, they are more like companions than power ups, seeing how they have eyes and mouths. But if you do add them, you may want to add fludd. Anyhow, that's my opinion.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Awwww man! Only 5 Power-Ups??? Well, here's what I chose:

Fire Flower: VERY useful, especially against Hammer Bros.
Starman: Cool song, Invincibility.
Tanooki Suit: Same as Super Leaf, but you can turn into stone! Using the debug code in SMB3 with this can lead you to turn grey and invincible while you're in other forms!!!!(Yes, I experimented with it)
Metal Cap: You turn metal and can destroy like anything in your path!
Hammer Bros. Suit: Like what Eric B. said. You get to be the annoying Hammer Bros. and defeat anyone in your path!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:25:24 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »
What's cool about the Hammer Bro suit is that you can defeat other enemies now! Like twomps and boos.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
I guess I'll share what I voted for:

Tanooki suit: It was just the best suit of the game, in my opinion. It had not only the ability to fly, but to become an invincible statue.
Kuribo's shoe: The rarity of the item plus the fact that it could kill spinies made it a fun power-up.
Metal Cap: It made Mario look awesome, and the music was good too.

....Er, unfortunately, I forgot what else I voted for...

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 05:36:56 PM »
I guess I'll share what I voted for:

Tanooki suit: It was just the best suit of the game, in my opinion. It had not only the ability to fly, but to become an invincible statue.

With the debug code and the Tanooki suit combined, you can become an invincible grey statue with any form by changing your form while in the statue form! You should try it, it's almost better than the starman!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »
I always thought the tanooki suit was the instant classic other than the cape feather and fire flower.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
Well, it appears that out of all the SMB3 power ups, the Hammer Bros. suit, is the most popular.

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
I guess Mario 3 is the game for me...it was probably when I really fell in love with Mario.(Well, his games.not HIM)So, those powerups are what really stand out.

I think what made the Shoe stand out is how rare it was....it was something you looked forward to seeing because you knew you could only find it in certain areas and that was it. It was special.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
Only one level. 5-3.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »
What? The Kuribo's Shoe, one of the greatest items of all time, shares seventh place with the Super Leaf? It wasn't exactly the most common item, but it looked so cool... not even Top 5?
It's-a me, Biokinton!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 09:59:15 PM »
Tanooki suit: What other game lets you wear a raccoon suit and turn into a statue?
Frog suit: Mainly for the non-water sections. Especially the way he looks when he goes down a pipe.
Kuribo's shoe: Probably tied with Geno for awesome but abandoned Mario thing that desperately needs more screentime.
Cape feather: Lets pretty much anyone fly all the way through most levels, and lets the really ridiculously good people show off like mad in videos.
P-balloon: Looks even better in SMW than in SM64DS, because in SM64DS it looks slightly realistic. In SMW, it's ridiculously exaggerated. One of the first ridiculously exaggerated things in a Mario game, actually.

But hey, what about the Mega Star from Super Paper Mario? (http://www.mariowiki.com/Mega_Star)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 10:07:22 PM »
Vid's never played SPM.
Hey Vid. MARIO IS PLAYABLE!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »
I guess that the boo suit in galaxy will be fun to use
Hanging out inside a lion is probably detrimental to one's health in the long run.

Bacon

• Cheddar Ranch
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
my alltime favorite powerup is the Tanooki suit
Peter Griffin:"only cockroaches and Twinkies can survive Nuclear wars"

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 05:08:21 AM »
Super Mushroom: So simple in effect; gives Mario an extra hit of damage, yet nearly every Mario fan runs toward it at breakneck speed. It's an icon for the Mario games.
Super Leaf: Flying around with this thing fellt awesome, much better than that cape feather from SMW. P-wing was the best.
Frog suit: Awful on land, but perfect in water. Sometimes, speed is required in some of the water levels.
Hammer suit: Mario is near invincable when ducking, and his hammers can destroy enemies such as Twomps.
Mini Mushroom: It was used a lot in NSMB for getting to new areas, and made Mario stay in the air for longer periods of time. It may have been overused, but it just felt good to have.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »
Forgot I made this thread. I've added the Super Mario Galaxy power-ups as well, and I believe the poll allows for people to change their votes.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
I edited the poll so people can now remove their votes and vote again.  I also updated my votes.  Here's a cool image of Mario power-ups:

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
That chart has a few screw-ups. The Fire Super Flower doesn't give Mario the Sky Pop in SML, they left out the Sub Pop, they put the disposable Hammer instead of the actual Hammer Suit, and they left out the SMW 1-Up Mushroom in favor of the 3-Up Moon. It's also kind of unfair how SMB2 Super Mario gets to appear twice, and they didn't even show the Small Hearts or anything else from SMB2 either.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »
Yeah, I know, it's riddled with issues... what magazine is that from again? Or is it just some picture? I've seen it before somewhere...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »
I disagree with their choice of best flying power-up.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »
I don't.
That was a joke.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Pfft. That thing is seriously flawed. For goodness sake. A Shy Guy is not a power-up.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »
The Shy Guy is a "power-down".  I think one of the goals of the image I posted was to use as many Mario power-ups as possible on a single page. 

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »
Mega Mushroom (NSMB)
Breakin' st00f rocks!

Starman (SMB)
Im invincibul. U cant hurt meh.

Super Mushroom (NSMB)
Exta hit needed to kill you.

Power Flower (SM64DS)
Variety.

1-up Mushroom
Obvious.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
Red Star is the best flying power-up. It's a 3-D P-Wing. If only it had actually been used.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
My favorite power ups are:
Racoon Leaf: the first time Mario could fly, also the tail whip attack was awesome

Super Mushroom: a classic ability Mario has had in just about every game

Fire Flower: shooting fireballs from the palms of your hands never gets old! (the Super Flower from Super Mario Land is pretty much the same thing as the Fire Flower)

Starman/Invincibility Star/Rainbow Star (Mario Galaxy): "Do do do, do do do, dodododo, do do do, do do do, dodododo" (the Metal Cap is pretty much the same thing as the Starman)

Dragon Hat (Wario Land): a fire-breathing Wario makes for some toasty fun!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
Well...

The Tanooki suit was always my favorite. Being able to turn into mario 40 years later.... it made me laugh. It was also a good means of defense (being able to turn into stone and have enemies pass you).
The hammer bros. suit was one-of-a-kind! It was never in any other mario game,m and it was fun being able to throw hammers. I'm also trying to recreate this in SMW.
The Cape... yes, the cape. Revolutionizing powerups, It was AWESOME being able to skip whole levels, and flipping over enemies, and reaching higher places.
And... everyone's favorite powerup: The Mega Mushroom! Getting enormously huge, and TERRORIZING a whole level, even knocking over the flag pole!!
The Boo powerup was cool too. You turned into a boo (obviously) and floated over stuff. The face of the boo was priceless. I broke into laughter when i saw it! :D
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
I got into Mario around the "Super Mario Advance 2" age, but had his influence since Super Mario 64.

My Top 5:

1. Cape Feather- How does a feather turn to a cape? And also, how does a leaf turn you into a raccoon? I don't know, but the Cape will forevermore (To me) be the number 1 power-up. Overused a little, but still, the spin attack coupled with the new jumping spinning attack made the cape awesome.

2. Tanooki Suit- The Tanooki suit. I first played SMB3 as SMA4, but it still was awesome. I was still used to using the cape from SMA2, but when I first saw the Tanooki suit, I thought I would turn to a bear. But, a full on raccoon. Then, to consult my SMA4 Walkthrough handbook:

"Press Down+B to turn into a statue."

Pure delight.

3. Starman- Oh. The ultimate power. I remember, I first played SMB in 2004, and boy, did it play. Run for your life. And the joy of getting 1-ups, almost impossible in SMB (Unless you know their secret hideouts).

Too bad it ran out fast. Overused, the starman has slunk to the bottoms of the charts, just like our poor fire flower, which Nintendo keeps resurrecting just for fan enjoyment. No one ever uses those!

What's with all the Starman storylines though?

4. Yoshi Wings- Yoshi, if only he was on the list, he would be an absolute pick. Yoshi became the most important character in the series, (Besides Mario, of course) and Nintendo only made it better by giving him wings.

Ever tried jumping off a Yoshi when he has wings?

5. Mini Mushroom- Yeah, the giant thing got old for NSMB. But as we got better at the new gaming style of the game, we realized pretty much all the other powerups sucked, including the rare shell-up, which was wholly uncontrollable. Running on water was probably the most useful feature of the Mini 'Shroom. Being able to slowly float down and get a larger bounce off enemies was helpful, though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
Starman is not the same as Power Star.
That was a joke.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:20 AM »
...just like our poor fire flower, which Nintendo keeps resurrecting just for fan enjoyment. No one ever uses those!
What do you mean no one ever uses those? I actually go out of my way to get a Fire Flower over something else! (Blue Shell, Raccoon Leaf, etc)
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
1-up Mushroom
Obvious.
The 1-up mushroom isn't on the poll. It does not follow the rule of changing Mario/Luigi's appearance.

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
Thank you for allowing the retraction of votes.  Here's my tentative five:
Tanooki Suit
Flying; statue power; looks cool--even the king agrees...
Frog Suit
Secrets... Oh, and the king has something to say about this one, too...
Kuribo's Shoe
Rare!  Powerful!  Indestructible (bottom side only)!
Blue Shell
This item's drawback is what makes it fun.
Bee Suit
Mostly for looks and originality... And the buzzing.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:52 AM »
The five I picked, in order from most favorite to favorite:

1. Kuribo's Shoe - Looks cool, love the loose hopping feeling, I can destroy anything, Nippers and Munchers don't bother me.

2. Hammer Bros. Suit - It's like the ultimate Mario powerup. The Hammer Bros were always intimidating to me, so the chance to have their powers was awesome. Fitting that the suit was so rare too.

3. Yoshi Wings - Yoshies are cool. A flying Yoshi, essentially a P-Winged Yoshi... bliss. Only thing I didn't like was that it always sent Yoshi up into the clouds, that I could never fly through a normal stage. Unless I used a Blue Yoshi and there was a steady stream of Koopas about, but I don't know if that's the Yoshi Wings we're talking about.

4. Carrot - Bunny Mario's my favorite-looking Mario type. The fact that it appeared in one game makes me cherish it that much more. But I admit in hindsight the power's pretty limited. Raccoon Mario was more useful than the Carrot ever was.

5. Cape Feather - I too was amazed when I flew in the air with the cape for the first time. And it wasn't long until I exploited it to breeze through SMW. Still, Mario with a cape... it's like an improved Raccoon Mario. But for the record, Raccoon Mario still looks better (love the raccoon ears).

Uh, I forgot about P-Wing... doh... should have replaced #5 with P-Wing. Raccoon Mario plus unlimited flying power. Hmm, my favorite powers either give me the ability to fly (some lesser than others), or the ability to kick major tail.

If we're including Wario Land powers, I'll add Jet Wario and Dragon Wario to my list. Jet Wario for that flying aspect and that he moves like lightning. Dragon Wario because the expression on the dragon hat looked cute for some reason. Just cool to have a stream of fire coming from Wario's head.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print