Print

Author Topic: AP: Michael Jackson has died  (Read 19753 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »
LONDON, England (AP) -- Michael Jackson, a leading world beer critic who praised the brews of Belgium and acknowledged he would never be as famous as "that Michael Jackson," has died. He was 65.

Jackson, known as "the beer hunter," died Thursday of a heart attack at his home in west London. His body was found by his house cleaner, Paddy Gunningham, his long-term partner, said Friday.

She said he had kept writing and traveling, despite suffering from Parkinson's disease, and that he planned to write a book about the ailment.

"He was simply the best beer writer we've ever known," said Tim Hampson, chairman of the British Guild of Beer Writers.

"He told wonderful stories about beer, breweries and far away places. He told the story of beer through people, and he was humorous and erudite at the same time," Hampson told The Associated Press.

Jackson especially loved Belgian brews. His books "The Great Beers of Belgium" and "World Guide to Beer" introduced them to many export markets, including the United States.

By identifying beers by their flavors and styles, and by pairing them with particular foods and dishes, Jackson helped give birth to a renaissance of interest in beer and breweries worldwide that began in the 1970s, including the North American microbrewery movement.

His TV documentary series, "The Beer Hunter" -- which popularized his nickname -- was filmed around the world and shown in 15 countries.

He worked as a beer critic for more than 30 years, writing in newspapers and gastronomic magazines, holding seminars and giving speeches, appearing on U.S. talk shows and writing books about beer and whiskeys published in 18 languages.

Jackson knew he would never be as famous as Michael Jackson the rock star, and that was reflected on the beer critic's Web site. "Hello, my name is Michael Jackson. No, not that Michael Jackson, but I am on a world tour. My tour is in pursuit of exceptional beer. That's why they call me the Beer Hunter," it says.

Source: CNN.com
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 01:21:27 AM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Holy crud SJ, you freaked the crap outta me! I thought "that Michael Jackson" had died when I first saw the title of this thread.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:14:12 PM »
I agree with PL.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
*puts thumbs up to SJ for such a clever title*

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
"British Guild of Beer Writers"

I didn't know that that existed.
"it's always the present"

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
Yay for misleading titles!

Boo for spelling "Michael" incorrectly in it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
Theoretically, that's how some people's names are spelled.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:34:01 PM »
Yay for misleading titles!

Technically the title isn't misleading. :P

But I was definitely thinking something else.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 01:22:14 AM »
Theoretically, that's how some people's names are spelled.

I don't know why I always seem to spell it that way :P fix'ed.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:18 AM »
Awww, dude! I was about to yell to everyone in the house "Guess what? MICHEAL JACKSON IS DEAD!" XD
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 02:03:17 PM »
I told my mom "Oh yeah, Michael Jackson died." Her reply: "No he didn't!" then I lol'd and explained.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Poor Michael Jackson. He was my favorite beer writer of all time, especially from the UK. He will be missed.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
I'm taking a class from Michael Jordan this semester.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
Holy crud SJ, you freaked the crap outta me! I thought "that Michael Jackson" had died when I first saw the title of this thread.

He probably would have died from eating ten year old nuts.
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »
What's that supposed to mean?

Print