Print

Author Topic: What Ever Happened to the Metroid Movie?  (Read 8521 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: December 07, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »
Has anyone been wondering what the fudge ever happened to the Metroid movie? Y'know, the one that was supposed to be directed by John Woo and supposedly star Angelina Jolie...I've heard that it was canceled, slipped into development hell, or never even existed, so what's the deal? I mean, a Metroid movie, done right, would rock hard (although we all know that).
I mean, just imagine the teaser trailer, with the spooky "doo...doooo...dooooooo" theme song, and a few brief flashes of the Metroids and/or Samus' suit. It could even pull a Cloverfield and not even reveal the name of the movie (although fans would know immediately).
But back on track. I'd really like to know what happened, if anything happened at all (kind of like with Metroid Dread).
every

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
They were going to have a Legend of Zelda movie to but that seemed to disappear into thin air to, Link would have been played by that one archer guy in the Lord of the Rings movie. Ive never heard of that movie though.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »
Both of these statements sound like complete bupkis. This is why press releases are so important!

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
The Metroid movie WAS announced, but it appears plans for it just didn't go anywhere.

As for the Zelda movie, I've never heard of that, sounds fake.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
Drat, I jumped a little too quick on that. If I ever heard of the "Metroid movie" before now, I probably disregarded that discussion as well...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »
LoZ movie afaik is complete hearsay.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:23:10 AM »
They were "gonna" do all these Nintendo movies, but frankly, I'm glad it's all bluffing.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
Im sure Nintendo said no to them all (if they were real) because they were afraid that they all would turn out the same way as the Super Mario Bros Movie.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
Nintendo did not say no to Metroid.
How is it bluffing?
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »
I'm 100% sure it was in the works at some point, but budget constraints or what have you forced it to be put on hold forever. It could also be that it sucked so much that they never released it (that's what happened with the Spy Hunter movie starring The Rock, after all).
every

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »
The only recent movie based on a Nintendo game is Animal Crossing. I've been having trouble finding it. It's either in .mkv (which allows for the video to be in the h.264 codec which runs VERY slowly on my 8 year old computer) or a raw .avi (no subtitles).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
At least the AC movie was animated and a pretty straight adaptation. Then again, it was made by Nintendo's new in-house animation studio. I want them to give us a Mario movie or a movie based on an obscure title or something.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:45:53 PM »
Vid can 1. get a computer capable of viewing MKV (pretty important for anime files these days) 2. look for a subtitle file?
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 01:07:29 AM »
Vid can 1. get a computer capable of viewing MKV (pretty important for anime files these days) 2. look for a subtitle file?

1. I CAN view MKV files. It's the H.264 video codec that hates my computer. Did I ever mention that my computer only has 384 MB of RAM and only has a 500 MHz processor? I don't have the money to upgrade to a MacBook.

I learned I can view MKV files when I converted the H264 to something my computer CAN handle, but the video was not in sync with the audio or subtitles of the file.

2. I probably could do that, but right now the MKV files are broken up into 4 parts. I can easily go into my command line and integrate subtitles into files, but I fear that the four subtitle files will run at the same time and it'd just look messy and unreadable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 01:52:50 AM »
Well yeah, but MKV usually contains either XviD/DivX or (more frequently) h.264. I was simpifying my statement. Anyway, your media player can't just run the subtitle file when playing the video? Can you use VLC?
That was a joke.

Print