Poll

Which Mario games(s) do you like better

Classic
18 (69.2%)
Remake
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: Classic/ Remake version  (Read 13768 times)

« on: December 29, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »
Just Curious, I like the classic one though.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
Remake of what? Are you talking about the Mario Advance games on the Game Boy? If you are, then I like the originals better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:33:45 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
I like the classics better. The remakes usually aren't as good.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »
CLASSIC! Their would be no remake's without the Classics's.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
I think I prefer the remakes, as they tend to have better graphics, more features, and less of a chance of crashing and forcing me to blow into the cartridge. However, I would enjoy them more if they didn't give you, like, a billion 1up's. Also, I don't like it when they add retarded stuff that doesn't make any sense just to make the game newer (what the eff was up with that huge stretchy guy disguised as a platform at the beginning of Super Mario Advance?).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
Don't forget that SMAS also counts as a remake.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
ㅤ ㅤ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:30:38 PM by Mr.Toadsworth »

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
Classic or remake? That depends on the remake of course..

I prefer Mario All*stars to the Mario Advance series. The added voices and changed features do nothing for the gameplay, which in itself is classic (Mario Advance 4/SMB3 gets bonus points for E-reader options, and SMA3/Yoshi's Island loses points for adding Yoshi's annoying voice to an otherwise great game..)

When most people think classic, they think of just NES games, but there are other classic games out there that are on other systems too. (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, etc..)

I think I prefer the original versions of most games, though the remake is good because I often can't play the original (mostly just NES games, here..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »
Usually the classic versions because the added content adds more ease than fun (Super Mario Advance 2's Luigi). Also, Mario Bros. On every. Super Mario Advance game. AND Superstar Saga! There could've been Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. or some arcade-type NES Mario game like Wrecking Crew... and then it wasn't even necessary for the masterpiece that was Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Super Mario 64 DS, however, stands out as (perhaps aside from Super Mario All-Stars Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3) the only remake I prefer over the original. Some things were made easier (Tick-Tock Clock gained some floors down there), but some were made harder (getting every star, of course). Three more playable characters to just play around with. I didn't have many problems with the standard control scheme. The mini-games weren't even half bad (too bad multiplayer didn't happen until NSMB). The multiplayer mode wasn't excellent but it's better than nothing (but not better than the cooperative mode I thought we were gonna get).
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »
How strange. I thought I remembered seeing some beta screenshot that showed co-op multiplayer in SM64DS.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »
I have to say remakes are better for the most part, but it mostly depends on what game. Like Super Mario All-stars was a +, The Super Mario Advances were a neutral, and... well now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure which are negatives, besides Yoshi's Island for the GBA, and DEFINITLY Yoshi's Island 2. Yoshi's Island 2 was a disgrace to it's predecessor.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »
SMA3/Yoshi's Island loses points for adding Yoshi's annoying voice to an otherwise great game..)
Weren't the voices already in the original game?

As for Yoshi's Island 2, it wasreally hard and obviously not made by Nintendo, but I wouldn't say it was bad...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:48 PM »
Tough call. Especially if you consider my favorite game and the one that got me started in the first place...Super Mario 64. Come to think of it, one thing that remakes tend to lack are those wacky things called glitches. But in the case of SM64DS, while the glitches that we know and love are gone, some new ones surfaced...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
DEFINITLY Yoshi's Island 2. Yoshi's Island 2 was a disgrace to it's predecessor.
That's a sequel, not a remake.
It's YOUR problem!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
But in the case of SM64DS, while the glitches that we know and love are gone, some new ones surfaced...
Kinda like the "The Snowman's Hat Collection?"

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of that one! Here I am falling through the wall in the third floor of the castle and going ridiculously high in Bob-omb Battlefield! XD

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »
Also, Mario Bros. On every. Super Mario Advance game. AND Superstar Saga! There could've been Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. or some arcade-type NES Mario game like Wrecking Crew... and then it wasn't even necessary for the masterpiece that was Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
I think they did that so people could play Mario Bros. in multi-pak mode without requiring multiple copies of the same game.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
Honestly, I'm fine with whatever's handy. Since I take frequent train rides, the Advance series is what I play most, and, since I don't want to bother people on the train, I always keep my DS on mute, which means I don't have to listen to the voices and heavily mutilated soundtracks. My biggest problem is Luigi's jump. I really don't like it.

However, that doesn't really matter since I'm playing Yoshi's Island again anyways.
-Your friendly neighborhood potato.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
Weren't the voices already in the original game?

No. The original game came long before Yoshi's crappy voice.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
Then there was Yoshi's Story...

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
Yoshi's Story... AAAAHHHHH!

I can hear it now: "EEE AAAH OOOH! EEE AAAH OOOH" at the end of ever stage! It's driving me crazy!

That game was supposedly a sequel to Yoshi's Island, but it was so easy and kiddy... I definitely do not regard it as a worthy sequel to such a fantastic game (Yoshi's Island).
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
Who ever said it was a sequel?

P.S. Yoshi singing is 100% awesome.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
Okay, maybe not a sequel. Is it a prequel? It still used the same gameplay as Yoshi's Island (minus Baby Mario, of course) and it had the same enemies (including Baby Bowser), and it had similar music... So why couldn't it be considered a sequel or prequel?

Yoshi's singing made my ears bleed. And yes, the game was incredibly easy and kiddy. You can't argue with that.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
It's a Yoshi game. I don't think it has any direct timeline relation to Yoshi's Island, thus it is not a se/prequel. Yes, it was fairly easy, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. And if it was "kiddy", whatever that means, I don't think that was a bad thing either.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Kiddy: targeted towards children.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
I liked Yoshi's Story quite a bit.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
Who ever said it was a sequel?

Nintendo billed it as a sequel to Yoshi's Island. It was even called Yoshi's Island 64 during development.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
So?

Super Mario 64 isn't a sequel to Super Mario World.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
The way I see it, all games in a series are somehow sequels to previous games in the series. No, Super Mario 64 isn't a sequel to Super Mario World, but the two may share common themes, much like Super Mario Bros 3 and Mario Galaxy.

Unless Nintendo or the game that they created comes out and says "THIS game is a sequel/prequel to THIS", of course.

Obviously, Mario Kart Double Dash is not a sequel to Super Mario Kart, but the two games share many common things (other than the fact that they are racing games with Mario and crew..)

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
Classic because they have more glitches.. :D
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
Nintendo billed it as a sequel to Yoshi's Island.
No, they billed it as a prequel.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 12:41:47 AM »
And it obviously could not be, as Mario is born in Yoshi's Island and is mentioned in Yoshi's Story.

While I'm posting, I'll say, I like Yoshi's voice. But it's never used for actual speech, and I can't envision how that would be. I'd like to hear that at least once... in a game, that is.
It's YOUR problem!

Sqrt2

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 05:36:16 AM »
Classic for me, although I do prefer Mario All-Stars over the original NES SMB versions.
AA fanboy and proud!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
Yeah, broken physics are always better. o_O
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »
Kind of hard to decide. Sometimes remakes are better, sometimes the classics are better
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
Yeah, I agree with dontcare3000. I am pretty sure that Deezer already knows about this change from SMAS to SMA4, but he didn't put it in today's update. Yes, I know he's working on it piece by piece, but in SMA4, Mario and Luigi have gloves, and in SMAS, they don't.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
Yes, that just hasn't been included yet.
That was a joke.

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
Well, I'm kind of used to the remakes of the NES versions, because when I started liking video games, those just came out for GBA. The first one I got was SMA2. And, ironically, I actually played the SNES version at my neighbor's house before I got it for GBA. And let me tell you - they're exactly the same beside for Luigi. (Now I actually own an SNES, and I have that too). Anyway, so that one is a tie. For SMA, which I got after, I didn't play the original until it came out for the Wii. Anyway, I like the remake better because the original feels kind of plain. So the remake wins for that. Then I got SMA3 (Yoshi's Island right?). Anyway, I can't comment on that because I never played the original. Then I got SMA4. Boy, I remember when I was looking at pics of it in NP magazine and thinking it was so awesome and obsessing about it. Anyway, I remember when I got it. I sped through the first 3 worlds in an hour, and I swear I never played the game before. (Perhaps maybe playing too much SMW payed off?). Looking on the new section with SMA4 compared to the SMAS version, I realize how easy they made it. Anyway, I then got the game on Wii, and I think it's very much more challenging, and I'm still stuck on the third world. So the SMA4 for that. Finally, I got SM64DS. Now that was the mother. I was more obsessed about that game, and I wanted it so badly. Seriously, I wanted it more than any other game in my life. I guess it was because ever since I watched my neighbor play SM64 (original), when I was like 2, I thought it was so fun. Anyways, I finally got it, and beat it in a week. Then I got a N64, and that was hard. I got 117 and gave up. I also bought it on Wii, and I beat that with all 120, and it was so fun. The original is much better IMO, the remake they changed too much. So there's my 6 anyways.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »
Even though you didn't notice them, Super Mario Advance 2 actually made several changes to Super Mario World.
Also... Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console didn't change anything. Or by remake were you referring to SM64DS?
That was a joke.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »
Hmm, do you think you can make a page with all of those changes on the site? I really have no idea. Oh and, by remake, I was referring to SM64DS.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
Many of the overviews discuss basic changes to the game, but you're right, there's nothing that gives a very clear list of all the changes.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »
I think it's coming.
That was a joke.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »
A SM64/SM64DS comparison guide? That's a project I tried to do some time ago. You can look at my pathetic attempt if you want...

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
I think that's a real excellent attempt, myself. There were some differences I didn't know about-- and I never knew that Mario had a completely different idle animation in snowy areas!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »
A SM64/SM64DS comparison guide? That's a project I tried to do some time ago. You can look at my pathetic attempt if you want...
Its professionally pathetic, but its good nonetheless.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
Don't you know? I'm too goofy to be professional. Still, I guess the project was just too big for one chick. Oy...

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
Maybe it's a little "too" in depth.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
I actually found it pretty informative.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print