Print

Author Topic: BEST IN SERIES? Week 4: Underwater Levels  (Read 9451 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
Tie between 64 and Galaxy
Love the music in 64's water levels, and I enjoyed swimming with the shells in Galaxy
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
I have to say Super Mario Galaxy. That was probably one of the few games that I even liked underwater levels. Instead of usually being dark and annoying, the underwater levels are light and peaceful. Also, the underwater shark boss was fun to fight too.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
I have to say Super Mario Galaxy. That was probably one of the few games that I even liked underwater levels. Instead of usually being dark and annoying, the underwater levels are light and peaceful. Also, the underwater shark boss was fun to fight too.
you didn't exactaly "fight him"
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
I would choose NSMB or galaxy but SMW's water levels are funner to me. so I vote SMW
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
you didn't exactaly "fight him"

Well, I think throwing turtle shells at a boss is kind of like fighting it. It's like saying you don't fight Wart because you throw turnips at him :)
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »
I vote NSMB. The levels are eye-candy and the music is quite nice too. Shame that the physics are a bit annoying unless you've got a blue Koopa shell.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »
Well, I think throwing turtle shells at a boss is kind of like fighting it. It's like saying you don't fight Wart because you throw turnips at him :)
oh, thought you were talking about Guppy
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 06:06:42 PM »
The results...

Super Mario Galaxy (4)
Super Mario World (5)
Super Mario Land (2.75)
Yoshi's Story (.25)
Super Mario 64 (2)
Super Mario Bros 3 (1)
New Super Mario Bros (1)

And the winner...Super Mario World! I don't really have much to say this time...See you Sunday.

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World

I suppose at the end of this, we'll determine the most popular Mario game ever from these votes...

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Though I don't find water physics annoying, I've gotta go with SML as well.  It's a really special level.

... Wait, do you find water physics more annoying than auto-scroll--'cause SML has that, and I tend to think that ranks a bit higher on the annoying scale.

Technically, though, SML's water levels are forced-scrolling stages. And everyone knows that piloting a sub is not the same as swimming.

For best water levels, I have to say SMW and SM64. SMW perfected swimming in 2D games (and the shell made it even easier), and SM64 had nearly perfect controls.

Isn't it strange that Mario's swimming is much harder to control in Mario Galaxy than it was in SM64?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »
I know this debate is closed, but I'll say either Super Mario World or Super Mario Galaxy.
Bowser and Bowser Jr: best villains EVER.

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »
Isn't it strange that Mario's swimming is much harder to control in Mario Galaxy than it was in SM64?
I noticed that as well, with SMS--interesting considering the entire game is based on water--though I also noticed it with Galaxy.  I'll note the "forced scroll" vs. "auto scroll..."  Though now I'm wondering what "auto scroll" is if not "forced scroll."
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »
I noticed that as well, with SMS--interesting considering the entire game is based on water--though I also noticed it with Galaxy.  I'll note the "forced scroll" vs. "auto scroll..."  Though now I'm wondering what "auto scroll" is if not "forced scroll."

SMS' swimming was a bit different due to the GameCube controller's button layout. Mario Galaxy's swimming was terrible, perhaps the only negative thing I noticed about the game! :)
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »
Mario Galaxy's swimming was terrible, perhaps the only negative thing I noticed about the game! :)

Um...no it wasn't.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
Mario Sunshine had a completely different swimming mechanic than SM64 did. Galaxy's is closer to SM64. It has nothing whatsoever to do with button layouts.
That was a joke.

Print