Print

Author Topic: The next Mario and Luigi game  (Read 8713 times)

« on: July 01, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »
What would you like to see in the next Mario and Luigi game? Here are some of my ideas.

In the the next Mario and Luigi game, you would control the brothers once again like in Superstar Saga and depending on which brother is in front you can do many things. Here's a brief breakdown on what you can do.

Luigi in back, Mario on front: When Luigi is on top of Mario, Mario can throw Luigi across gaps and even over certain gates. Luigi on the other hand can burrow to the ground with Mario like a drill with his hammer and can also curl up into a ball with Mario like in Partner in Time. On ground, Luigi can hit Mario to make him tiny.

Mario in back, Luigi on front: When Mario is on top of Luigi, Luigi can make a high jump to allow Mario to reach ledges that are too high to be able to be reached by the throw. Mario on the other hand can do his usual Spin Jumps and also can use the hammer to hit switches that are higher than usual. On ground, Mario can hit Luigi with the hammer with varying effects depending on the location. Usually Luigi will get irritated but when used above certain slots, Luigi becomes flat and can be used as a surfboard.

The battles are your usual Mario and Luigi fare but this time both the Bros. Attacks and Bros. Items are used.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Since there's a Paper Mario title coming to a handheld, there should be a console Mario & Luigi title.

Anyway, I've been thinking that the Wario Bros in a M&L game would be neat. Maybe even have a sidequest featuring the Wario Bros, and they could team up and do Bros attacks similarly to the Mario Bros.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
First and foremost, the developers should stop shoving Bros. Attacks/Items down the player's throat. In PiT, there were badges that raised Bros. power at the expense of jump/hammer power, gave stat/Coin/EXP boosts for well-executed Bros. moves, and simplified Bros. attack commands. However, there were no badges that did the opposite for regular attacks. I get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of not using Bros. Items because the game so pathetically desperately wants you to. Mind you, it takes 20 minutes to beat Sunnycide with regular attacks, but I could tell AlphaDream to suck my dick afterwards.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
-Don't make it stupidly dark. That's what went wrong with Partners in Time
-Don't put so many tutorials in the game that it plays like molasses just from the game asking you if you want to see each tutorial or not (really? Are you sure?). That's one thing I didn't like about Bowser's Inside Story.
-Don't bring back Fawful. He was funny in SS. He was a fun little cameo in PiT. It hurt to read his dialogue in BIS.

As Toad said, I'd like to see a console installment. But a lot of the style is in the 2D animation... one feels guilty even thinking to ask for that quality applied to HD sprites, the work that'd take. Not that I'm not asking for it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
Wario Land: Shake It did a good job with 2D animation, mind.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
Yeah, and I can't think of too many HD sprite games that do the overhead perspective instead of the side-scrolling perspective.

I'd want it to be Mario & Luigi & Wario & Waluigi and have each of the four face buttons assigned to a different Bro, kinda like Valkyrie Profile. This would allow for a pretty wide range of Bros. Attacks. Think of it as a direct of expansion of Superstar Saga as opposed to the direction the next two games took.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
Yeah, and I can't think of too many HD sprite games that do the overhead perspective instead of the side-scrolling perspective.

I'd want it to be Mario & Luigi & Wario & Waluigi and have each of the four face buttons assigned to a different Bro, kinda like Valkyrie Profile. This would allow for a pretty wide range of Bros. Attacks. Think of it as a direct of expansion of Superstar Saga as opposed to the direction the next two games took.

That would be nice. A four-bros. gameplay similar to PiT except each of the Bros. can be considered as unique and they most likely would remain separate except in certain cases.

Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:54 AM »
i would like to see a 3d platformer in which bowser tries to steal the power ups but drops some on mario and he absorbs so many he gets ability to use it at any time but he only he 15 seconds with each it also brings back the cape suit in the end the ability wheres off

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
Not only is that completely irrelevant to Alisbet's topic, it's also a really dumb idea.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
I'm with Weegee--I don't know if AlphaDream got an extra dollar for every time the top screen of the DS was used or what, but they all but made "normal attacks" pointless. And yeah, the final boss took me about two hours, but I'll be [darn]ed if I was gonna keep that up every turn.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:35 PM »
-Don't bring back Fawful. He was funny in SS. He was a fun little cameo in PiT. It hurt to read his dialogue in BIS.

lolwhat

In serious, I liked his dialog in BiS. Not every line was golden, sure, but he still said some pretty good and sometimes funny things (*insert the line about 'being trashy in a trash heap forever'..*)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print