Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power VC Poll Results  (Read 56604 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
Dear lord!  The prices EB is going for on eBay is RIDICULOUS!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »
I know... I've been trying to find it on non-eBay sites, as that place is somewhat indimidating to me and I've had success with lesser online gamer pawn shops in the past, but I'm just about ready to throw in the towel... until I make a little more money, that is.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
I'm glad I have a fully working copy of EB. The prices for the strategy guide on Ebay is ridiculous.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »
I've been playing the waiting game on a rare plushie that is decently priced.(considering its rarity)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2009, 12:21:08 AM »
Or better yet, why can't Yoko Ono be happy with the money she has now and stop ruining our lives?
Yes, that's exactly the situation.  Moron.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2009, 01:02:31 AM »
...Y-you mean her, right?

*braces for emotional scarring*
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »
Looks like we'll never get EarthBound on VC. Apparently it contains so much stuff that could be sued over (not likely, but knowing the wackos out there today, it's probably safe not to take the chance) that it might be a legal nightmare to release as-is. I don't see how anything in EarthBound could reduce sales or hurt the image of anything else, and EarthBound certainly doesn't seem to take itself seriously.

Starmen.net has an article which also mentions the legal issues along with other depressing news. They end it with saying the ESRB rating EarthBound was a fluke all along.

...so anyway, I guess there's something to be said for wanting a physical copy of EarthBound and the strategy guide. A PDF exists of the guide, but I'd understand if you wanted a hardcopy. It'd be pretty unwieldy to flip through the online version. It's not the same unless you're playing the real game on a real SNES with a SNES controller (or turbo or whatever). And the box art is cool too. I still envy anyone who has a Secret of Mana cartridge, it just looks good standing there. EarthBound was the last SNES game I bought and played on the real thing. The only drawback is that considering the amount of level grinding you have to do (or at least the amount I had to do since I'm not great at RPGs), hours of my day would go into battling slugs in the Deep Darkness or Fobbys in that one place. That's one thing I'd be willing to skip.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:42:20 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:40 AM »
If that's the case, forking over 70 bucks for the game on eBay might be the only legal option.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »
I have a SoM cart, map, and box, but no manual. D:
Also an EB cart and guide but no box. (There are times I still appreciate working where I do.)
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2009, 12:41:31 AM »
If that's the case, forking over 70 bucks for the game on eBay might be the only legal option.

Which is copyright bullhonky. The game is not and will never again be in production--at least not the English version. By "legally" obtaining it, all you're doing is blowing your money away to keep the old cartridges in circulation. As they break or meet owners who will never part with them, they become rare and the price goes up.

Better is good. Play it on the Wii with a SNES emulator.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:32 AM »
I just remembered the Tonzuras, as they appeared in the Japanese version, were seen for a split second in Melee's intro.  How did NoA's 2001 legal team not catch them when the 1995 team was concerned that they resembled the Blues Brothers?  My guess is that since the Tonzuras only appear for a split second, and that they don't have the band with them, their attire could be seen as a harmless coincidence.

You can correct me if I'm wrong.  I know so little about EB.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:45 AM »
For such a short time it wouldn't have mattered. It wasn't even implied they were from a band right there.

I actually liked that they changed the appearances of the Tonzura Bros. for EarthBound's Runaway Five. Gorgeous and Lucky remind me of Mario and Luigi in their red and green clothes. Especially Lucky, what with the Stalin mustache.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that most of the lawsuits against EB would be failures. It's the lawyers' job to avoid lawsuits. They're still expensive to have even if you don't lose. Lawyers want the changes, NoA won't have them (and I'd hate audio changes, too), so nothing. Go find a ROM.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
UPDATED!

Since I have tragically lost my May issue of NP, and I was too lazy to update this when I was supposed to, could somebody please PM me the results?

JUNE ISSUE:
Reader's Most Wanted (RPGs Only):
1. Earthbound (Super NES)
2. Mother (NES/Japan Only)
3. Final Fantasy VI (Super NES)
4. Terranima (Super NES/Europe & Japan only)
5. Final Fantasy IV (Super NES)
NP Staff's Most Wanted:
1. Terranigma (Super NES/Europe & Japan Only)
2. Final Fantasy IV (Super NES)
3. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur (N64)
4. Earthbound (Super NES)
5. Soul Blazer (Super NES)

NP Comments:

Action-RPGs, strategy-RPGs, traditional RPGs-all were valid entries in this issue's most-wanted Virtual Console poll. Perennial favorite Earthbound took the reader's top spot, while the editors are hopeful for a long-overdue North American release of action-RPG Terranigma, the sequel to Soul Balazer and Illusion of Gaia.

This month, vote for most wanted Arcade games on the Virtual Console.

Email:

vcpoll@nintendopower.com

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
My votes:
1. Moon Patrol
2. Frogger
3. Qix
4. Centipede
5. Defender
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »
What? No Super Mario Kart?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print