Print

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4 IGN Review  (Read 10164 times)

matto

• from America's hatto
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »
Guess IGN thinks it's better then breathable air...

I find it absolutely funny that Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (aka the Game Boy Color game no one remembers) got a perfect ten from IGN long ago. I also find it absolutely sucky that Solid Snake might kill himself in the ending...or at least die from old age. Oh well, back to playing Metal Gear: Ghost Babel on the SP.

Here's hoping for a Solid Snake clone for Metal Gear Solid 5, or Meryl. I'm not buying a PS3 just to play this game though, some random person will put clips of it on Youtube.

And worldwide release for MGS4... NINTENDO? Brawl

Canada, eh? '87

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
I was under the impression that Konami was pulling a Rockstar and making sure most major video game publications kept a tight lip on their next gen blockbuster, but I guess this isn't the case here. I'm going by the fact that EGM has a review ready but Konami wouldn't let them publish it yet.

9.9? I can't wait until the fanboys go psycho over this score.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »
They already are. Everyone is going physco that Eurogamer gave MGS4 a 8/10. Here's the review. Nice to see them being honest.

Ha, We love you Snake, don't come back.[/i]

Nice.
Canada, eh? '87

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »
I'm crapping bricks waiting for this game to come out. Okay, maybe not bricks, but still.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
I'm wondering: does MGS4 have rumble? Granted, I'll buy it anyway once I steal a PS3, but I'm curious.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »
Meh. I guess I'm not as in to MGS as I used to be. That, and I don't have a PS3. Looking at the reception of MGS4 though, it seems like the heyday of MGS is over. It was fun while it lasted. I'll probably end up getting MGS4, someday.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
I didn't like Ghost Babel very much.
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 01:38:56 AM »
I wish Konami would put out the rest of the series (I say the rest of it because the GameCube has The Twin Snakes) on the Wii. And have it work out with the Zapper. I'm not about to get a PS3, no...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Ah, so the "make a subtitle out of the abbreviation of the portable's name" phenomenon isn't all that new...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »
Ah, so the "make a subtitle out of the abbreviation of the portable's name" phenomenon isn't all that new...

Holy crap, I just noticed that too.

DS is still the winner of it though. Now then, Kojima Productions, MGS DS PLZ THNK U. Or have Meryl in the next Smash Bros. game, whatever floats their boat.

Oh wait, it's Sony, how ironic.
Canada, eh? '87

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »
I'm guessing there are also the fanboys freaking out that Grand Theft Auto IV got a 10 from IGNUK while Metal Gear Solid 4 only got a 9.9 from IGNUK.

But what does it matter if someone gives MGS4 an 8. That's still very good, shows that it's still worth playing. We already knew MGS4 was going to be great, and that MGS fans would snatch it up even if it got a 4. "But... but... it has Snake in it... screw the review, I've gotta play as Snake again."

Eurogamer review is pretty good. Seems to be saying that there were missed opportunities, that it's more of the same taken to extremes, so people will either really love it or really hate it. But given the simultaneous love/hate tone of the review (the reviewer says right off that he both loves and hates the series), some people may get confused on what was actually being said once they see the final review score as an 8. Sounds like too much hate in the review to warrant an 8, you know. I've never played the Metal Gear Solid series, but I've seen some of the cutscenes, and if the games are basically play a little / watch a cutscene that seems to last for a half-hour / play a little / another cutscene / cutscene that lasts for two hours / play a lit... no wait, that's another cutscene (yep, I'm a RealLife Comics reader), then I might get tired of it after a while. Seriously, since I find the cutscenes more interesting than the game itself, although I play the game to actually play a game instead of watching a movie... I don't care if they wouldn't work as a film, I want to see all cutscenes back-to-back as a movie. Maybe like a MGS version of Final Fantasy: Advent Children (I heard that while it's great fan service, not many people understand what happens in the film).
You didn't say wot wot.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
I was under the impression that Konami was pulling a Rockstar and making sure most major video game publications kept a tight lip on their next gen blockbuster, but I guess this isn't the case here. I'm going by the fact that EGM has a review ready but Konami wouldn't let them publish it yet.
Not quite.  Konami wouldn't let them talk about certain aspects of the game, so EGM refused to publish the review.  It's good to see a little professionalism in video game journalism.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
Now then, Kojima Productions, MGS DS PLZ THNK U.

I agree. My DS has a gaping void in its soul, and the only thing that can fill it is a Metal Gear game. A top-down one. That fits into the official canon.
every

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Meh. I guess I'm not as in to MGS as I used to be. That, and I don't have a PS3. Looking at the reception of MGS4 though, it seems like the heyday of MGS is over. It was fun while it lasted. I'll probably end up getting MGS4, someday.

Well, I don't think MGS is done for good, but I don't think Snake will be returning.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »
DS is still the winner of it though. Now then, Kojima Productions, MGS DS PLZ THNK U. Or have Meryl in the next Smash Bros. game, whatever floats their boat.
Anyone remember that thing on the internet a while back that was supposedly a thrown-out speech by Reggie (it was fake, FYI)? There was a part where he talked about "Metal Gear Solid: Dark Snake" or something like that for the DS. I know this doesn't help, but this just reminded me of that...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print