Print

Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 17571 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
That's today, in case anyone's wondering. I also just learned Tim Russert (the news guy) died today; while I don't think there's a connection, it is a little eerie with all the people who've died on this day.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
All? You mean today, or throughout history?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
Um, from what I've found, the people who are more likely to be associated with Friday the 13th are more likely to have good luck.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »
I did two tests today and I think I did rather good on them. I also didn't get much homework this weekend, I felt a rush of energy and cheer go through me at lunch time, my cat got a mouse and I even got my new health card in. If anything, this was a pretty good day. I guess that means I'm an abnormal freak, eh?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »
I know this is really more of an April Fool's Day-type thing, but it applies here too.

Today at work, my boss told me to go out on the roof of the school to clean off some of the over-thrown recess balls. As a good employee would, I leaped out the window onto the roof without hesitation. No sooner did I plant my feet firmly on the rocky rooftop when I realized what was about to happen. Despite my immediate effort to return quickly to the only survivable escape option at the lone window, I spent 20 minutes of my day on the roof. It was like Christmas eve somebody stole the sleigh, and I was Santa.

Although I could watch them laughing hysterically from the locked window during my encampment upon the rooftop, the real joke was on them. I'm fairly certain that they were too stupid to realize that I was still clocked in while I was locked out. While they were busy stripping floors and painting walls, I twiddled my thumbs. Despite my embarrassment, I managed to snag a paid 20-minute break; I surely won't argue with that. At the end of the day, my reputation was a tad tarnished, but my spirits were high, knowing that while they got a quick laugh I got the ripe end of the deal.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
Friday the 13th came and went without any extraordinarily good or bad luck for me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 07:54:41 AM »
Friday the 13th came and went without any extraordinarily good or bad luck for me.
samehere
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »
That's today, in case anyone's wondering. I also just learned Tim Russert (the news guy) died today; while I don't think there's a connection, it is a little eerie with all the people who've died on this day.

My Uncle actually knew Tim Russert.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:10:34 AM »
I got kicked out of my house. I am not kidding.

Heck, most of this year has been pretty bad for me.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Wow, that really sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that.
every

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 12:38:11 PM »
Holy crap. Thats BAD. I had a semi-better day than normal. I found out that Bruce Lee (folks, not getting my hopes up.) or some other mysterious Special Guest (no, not Chuck Norris.) is coming to teach us self-defense in gym. I am pretty sure it will be the same people who wasted an hour and a half of my Carnival Day (AKA Student Development Day).

I was born on a Friday the 13th, ya know.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:45:52 PM »
Im just now noticing Tim's death was on Friday the 13th. I heard something about that a meteor will pass Earth in the future on Friday the 13th. It will be very close. But it won't hit us. Then that same rock shall come back a second time on another Friday the 13th, and has a good chance of hitting us.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »
"As of October 19, 2006, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, was calculated as 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 was also identified; the impact probability for that encounter was calculated as 1 in 12.3 million."

Good chances? I think not.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
Wha? Chances in the millions?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:25:42 PM by luigalaxy »

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
Uh...there was no need to say that. He didn't know, so there's no point in calling him crazy.

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
"As of October 19, 2006, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, was calculated as 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 was also identified; the impact probability for that encounter was calculated as 1 in 12.3 million."

If any asteroid came near us nowdays, we'd probably have more then enough nukes to blow it up five times over, but imagine what kind of weapons technology we'll have by that time. Much more powerful. Combined with the low chances of it hitting us, and that thing might as well say it's prayers.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Ask any scientist and they'll tell you nuking an asteroid in space just makes lots of little tiny asteroids that'll just hit Earth over a wider area. Your best bet is to propel it away from Earth's orbit.

And about those probabilities: 1 in 12.3 million is pretty distant, but 1 in 45,000 is frighteningly plausible when you consider the fact that massively destructive cosmic events like supernovas or gamma ray bursts (when a black hole turns inside-out or whatever and destroys the crap out of everything within a hundred or so lightyears of it) are pretty common. If we see that stuff in the tiny portion of the universe we've discovered, imagine how often it happens in the whole universe. Then calculate probabilities.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
No, the best thing to do would be to put it in orbit and save it for future mining or study. Assuming of course that we would be able to work out the gravitation issues.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
Uh...there was no need to say that. He didn't know, so there's no point in calling him crazy.

I'm sorry. (Pouts)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
The best thing to do would be to watch Armageddon and hope for the best.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »
Because we all know it's easier to train oil drillers to be astronauts than to teach astronauts to use drills.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »

Lol, thanks. I have to remember more things when I hear them.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
This discussion reminds me of global warming climate crisis, because there's about 1 in 12.3 million that will happen, as well.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
Except that the amount of plastics I throw in the dump doesn't determine the likelihood of getting hit by a meteor.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Is anyone else constantly surrounded by environmental hypocrites? I'm talking about the Ugg-wearing orange-colored preteen dimwits that say that they care about the environment, but drive around in big white SUVs and never take a second out of their utterly undemanding lives to recycle. What really drives me up the wall are the people who say that they care but actually don't. I'm less irritated with the people who are at least honest and say that they couldn't give a rat's ***. I bike to where I need to go, and I recycle, but I don't advertise my small sacrifice like a junior Al Gore. Sheesh I'm ashamed of my generation.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:24:11 PM »
This discussion reminds me of global warming climate crisis, because there's about 1 in 12.3 million that will happen, as well.

There's a 1 in 12.3 million chance that climate crisis will "happen"? Like, overnight, boom, suddenly all the polar bears are dead and the world's flooded? 'Cause that, my friend, ain't how it works. It's already "happened", has been "happening" for about forty years now, and will continue to "happen" if things continue on their current course.
every

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »
What? A 1 in 12.3 million chance global warming will happen? Those are some bad chances, but it looks like it happened anyway!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:03:48 AM by PaperLuigi »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »
That's why The Day After Tomorrow bugged me. I mean, it was a great set-up for a movie, but I think it totally destroyed the credibility of the reality of global warming. FYI, for those unaware, when the climate does change, it's not going to happen with fuel in people's tanks freezing in ten seconds and walls of ice chasing people down corridors.

That, and the ending sucked. It's like "Oh, it was just a really, really, really bad storm...?"

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
Haha remember when they kept calling the dog over so it wouldn't freeze? Ah what a lame movie.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
Actually, I enjoyed Day After Tomorrow. Bad science, but it was still pretty entertaining.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
There's a 1 in 12.3 million chance that climate crisis will "happen"? Like, overnight, boom, suddenly all the polar bears are dead and the world's flooded? 'Cause that, my friend, ain't how it works. It's already "happened", has been "happening" for about forty years now, and will continue to "happen" if things continue on their current course.

What annoys me the most about "climate crisis" propaganda is that these people wouldn't know science if it bit them in the face.

1.  When the $-grabbing people who invented the concept of global warming realized global warming will never happen, but still wanted to hold on to their precious funding, they changed it to the more general "climate crisis."  That should set off a few bells in anyone's head.

2.  We have no idea what will happen in the future; we can't even predict weather accurately past 2 days.

3.  It's been "happening" for a lot longer than 40 years, but being the chronological snobs we are, we just assume it's been "happening" (harmlessly) only since we had the technology to trace it. 

4.  Define our "current course."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
Climate change is a more convenient term than global warming, because it lets them include stuff like flooding and hurricanes, which would actually decrease if it were warmer. In practice, climate change tends to just mean any unusual weather.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
There has been a sharp increase in CO2 production since about the 50s. We need to stop it before it does something bad. Also, Turtlekid's statement #2 is completely illogical.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
I'll support the scientists that are developing vaccines to make cows stop farting. They're a pretty big source of greenhouse gases. Or gasses, if you want to spell it funetically.

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
actually, people have less accidents during Friday the 13, because they're trying to be more careful about doing stupid stuff.

----------------
Now playing: Rush - Tom Sawyer
via FoxyTunes
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
That, or their over-apprehensiveness will make them fall prey to more accidents.

Just for the record--and because I can't really recall if someone gave me a clear-cut answer to this before--what money would there be made in telling people global warming exists?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »
The An Inconvenient Truth DVD's sales.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »
Enough money to use way too much electricity, apparently.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:09 AM »
Now I see--Coppertone and baseball hat companies teamed up to create the conspiracy! How could I have ben so blind!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
What annoys me the most about "climate crisis" propaganda is that these people wouldn't know science if it bit them in the face.

1.  When the $-grabbing people who invented the concept of global warming realized global warming will never happen, but still wanted to hold on to their precious funding, they changed it to the more general "climate crisis."  That should set off a few bells in anyone's head.

2.  We have no idea what will happen in the future; we can't even predict weather accurately past 2 days.

3.  It's been "happening" for a lot longer than 40 years, but being the chronological snobs we are, we just assume it's been "happening" (harmlessly) only since we had the technology to trace it. 

4.  Define our "current course."

1. That is the most meaningless thing I've ever heard. Who cares what it's CALLED? What matters is Earth is getting hotter because of human actions, and saying otherwise doesn't change that.

2. I like to think local TV news station technology and that of NASA snf other huge government organizations are two different things.

3. Thanks for making an excellent point for me. We've been screwing up for a very long time.

4. Believing crap like "There is no climate crisis".
every

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
I believe global warming will happen. A large amount of ice is gone. The ozone is disappearing. We are in the 7th age of mass extinction. Scientists used to say that the ice caps will start melting 70 years from now, but now they say that the ice caps will be GONE in 30 years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
We can't tell what will happen because we haven't had the technology to track that kind of thing long enough.  We assume that it's happening only while we're observing it.  For all we know, we could have been in the same condition then (the polar ice caps melting in 30-70 years) 500 years ago and just not been able to observe it!  There won't be any change in climate anytime soon.

There has been a sharp increase in CO2 production since about the 50s. We need to stop it before it does something bad. Also, Turtlekid's statement #2 is completely illogical.

1. Why do people think CO2 will do anything bad in the long run if we haven't been able to measure it's effects over a long period of time?

2. How was it illogical?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
I like how you keep saying we don't have the technology for this or that, as if it has anything to do with anything.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »
I'm not going to take sides in this argument, but your statement was illogical because your doing the proverbial "comparing apples to oranges" thing. It's a logical fallacy. You can't show an example in something that is unrelated to something else and claim it to be the exact same thing.

Your poor logic lies in the fact that you made a hasty generalization.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
According to Al Gore, by approximatly 2010, the world's sea level will rise due to global warming. He used the WTC Memorial Site (AKA Ground Zero) as an example. It will be flooded in approximatly 2010.
And yet, hes flying around in his private jet telling people about global warming.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
Maybe it runs on ethanol.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
Which probably takes even more standard petroleum to manufacture.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »
Not to mention that corn is pretty expensive too.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 06:29:13 AM »
I like how you keep saying we don't have the technology for this or that, as if it has anything to do with anything.

I like how you completely disregard what I say because if you think about it, I'm right.  I'm saying, we only recently had the technology to study the ozone layer, effects of CO2, etc., so we can't know what will happen in the long run.

Maybe it runs on ethanol.

Hooray for environmentalists!  First they ruin the economy by not letting us drill for more oil, then they make up an "alternative fuel" that isn't even as efficient, much less better; and it's crippling our food supply.  How ironic that people worried about global catastrophe would help the world starve.

...I would really rather not talk about this anymore, because this could become a flame war before we know it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:32:57 AM by Turtlekid1 »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »
Crippling our food supply?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Do you know anything at all about corn?
Also, we already know that CO2 traps heat and doesn't let it leave the atmosphere. So I don't think anyone's really willing to let it accumulate and find out what happens. We already stopped the ozone hole after we quit mass use of CFCs. You have no idea what you're talking about.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 08:57:50 AM »
Here's my final stance on the whole thing:

Let's all just do what we think is right and wait and see what happens.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »
Here's my final stance: Global Warming is a hoax, but I don't want to hate anyone on this board over a petty argument.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
Here's my Final Smash:

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »
My final stance is that corn is expensive.

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
Turtlekid1 keeps saying we don't know anything beyond 50 years back, but we actually have records of atmosphere and climate for about 600,000 years back. You know when scientists drill ice cores in Antarctica? That's what they're looking at. CO<subscript>2</subscript> is currently (since the Industrial Revolution) at the highest concentration of those 600,000 years (interglacial cycle only lasts 200,000 years). Oxygen levels are down. Methane is about three times what it normally used to be.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
This topic seems to be getting out of hand.

All I can say about global warming, is that if the Earth does get fried'd, or blow'd up, it won't really matter, because we would all be dead. I don't see how a "Friday the 13th" Thread could have took this kind of direction.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I kind of did, but only because it took me a few seconds to get it.

You know, I decided a while back that I'm going to make a shirt that says "TOLD YOU SO" in massive letters and wear it whenever I'm right. Right now, the only date I've got set to don it is December 21, 2012.

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »
And why that date?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
If you don't know already, don't bother. It doesn't actually matter.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:42 AM »
*Hums "It's the End of the World as we Know it"*

CrossEyed7

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I actually feel a little bit gassy, but other than that, I'm fine."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »
I guess shouldn't have eaten all that popcorn watching the world end.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
Well, I don't know where else (recent) to post this (I could've sworn we had a brief discussion going about this somewhere a while ago, but nothing's turning up), but here's the basic lowdown on the whole deal for those uninformed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%27ak%27tun

After reading this, I realized something: We're in the twelfth "Baktun"--of course they ended it there! Mayans, as I understand it, loved the number 12 (because it's equally divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, I guess. Also, that's why a day is 24 hours: Twelve hours of day, twelve hours of night).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »
But the Mayans didn't invent our clocks. I think.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »
They didn't invent clocks, they just invented the concept of twelve hours of day/night (or, barring that, it was a similar culture with similar beliefs. I'm not gonna pretend to know everything here).

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »

Friday the 13th.

I have my F13 line up on this date.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 12:38:09 AM »
I got kicked out of my house. I am not kidding.

Heck, most of this year has been pretty bad for me.

Why did that happen?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Let's just say that mother and I had yet another one of those arguments that seem to pop up every so often.

But worry not. We made up and I'm back at home. Hopefully now we and figure out a way for me to get a place of my own.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
Not to keep making you think about such a touchy subject, but how did you reconcile if you were out of the house?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
She eventually came and brought me home. She knew I was at grandma's so it's not like she had to hunt me down or anything.

Print